Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I no longer sink

Options
  • 15-04-2011 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I did a short log last yr but with injuries it all fell apart with just 1 half marathon. Anyway back on the roads and took the pludge to move in triathlons.

On Feb 9 i couldn't swim, on April 9 i completed my 1st sprint tri and completed a 750M swim.

I also need to get my weight down and from a high of 256 pounds i now weigh 237 pounds. My aim is to get down to 219 by june 1st and with that in mind i'm keep a keen eye on what i eat and drink.

Here is my schedule from June onwards. I just have a sprint tri in Nenagh and an open water swim between now and then

June 18 - Sprint Tri Dunmore East
    July 4 - Half marathon Clontarf
    July 16 - 5 mile Dublin race series
    Aug 1 - Half marathon Portlaoise
    Aug 13 - Olympic Tri Mullingar
    Aug 20 - 10 mile Dublin race series
    Sept 4 - Sprint tri Roscommon
    Sept 17 - Half marathon Dublin race series

I hope that by keeping busy all summer and having constant goals i can work on my weight and get it down through focusing on my exercise goals.

Anyway i'll keep updating with my workouts over the coming weeks and months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

So i'll start with today.

I started the morning with a swim. My swimming coach spent last night trying to work on my stoke seeing as i'm only swimming 8 weeks he wants to try and stop me getting any bad habits.

I did about 1000M in total and with his help i've brought my stokes down from about 20 a length to 15. I was also lifting my head when breathing, i've also tried to deal with that and my breathing is starting to become better with me following my arm and lifting less.

At lunch i run 7KM with a core 5KM timed run which is did in 27 min flat. I was very happy with that as only a few weeks ago i was finding it hard to break 30 min.

Food intake was good today and now i'm off to job no 2:(

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Good luck with the training Elvis. If you keep up that kind of training and eat sensibly, your weight will plummet...as will your times;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

I did about 1000M in total and with his help i've brought my stokes down from about 20 a length to 15. I was also lifting my head when breathing, i've also tried to deal with that and my breathing is starting to become better with me following my arm and lifting less.

All the best with your new training log - love the title.

That's a fair reduction in stroke count - fair play. I could do with a big improvement in my stroke count.

See you at North Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Macanri wrote: »
    That's a fair reduction in stroke count - fair play. I could do with a big improvement in my stroke count.

I was thinking that myself - assuming it is a 20m pool. You are obviously learning to glide well anyways

Good luck with the log

With little wind and the nice weather today it was time for the bike to come out.

It did 25KM in 53 min, its roughly 2:07 per KM. Its ok but i really need to work to get it under that 2 min per km and have my 20km time sub 40 min.

Brick sessions will start with start in May when spinning finishes and fingers crossed some extra time on the open roads will get my below that magic mark. But improving fitness will help also.

Tomorrow is a long slow run and i hope to do 6 or 7 miles. I haven't done 6 miles since Sept so it will be good to get longer runs under my belt.

Rest of the week will be all over the place as we have a baby arriving and a 19 month old to look after when my wife is in hospital !

BUT then i have 3 weeks off work and should be able to get some more double sessions in.

• Advertisement

Lovely morning here in Laois and i took advantage of it with the longest run i've done since last July.

I got 14 KM in 86 min, i was happy enough with the pace and at the end i wasn't out of breath and still had fuel left in the tank.

That run gave me a lot of confidence and its a good base to start my long slow runs from.

Easy 6KM tomorrow with a girl from work who is training for the mini marathon in June.

Then if my coach is available i'll do a swimming session in the evening to work on my technique. I'd like to get it done early in the week as with my wife being induced on Wen i'll be kicked out of the hospital from 2 to 5 daily and can skip over the road to gym i'm a member in and work on my swimming and perhaps change and go out for a short run.

Got out at lunch today and did a nice 7km in total.

I was out with someone from work and the first 3km had a few short stops on it. I got away then by myself and pushed it out for 4km. Time was against me and after my long run yesterday i didn't want to go too hard as i was to swim tonight as well.

Run felt good and body is feeling good.

If my coach can't meet tonight i might do a cycle and then its spinning tomorrow night.

Diet once again is good today and i'll have a weigh in tomorrow morning.

Well mt first proper week of conscious eating and it went very well.

I'm using an app on my phone to track my calorine intake against my daily needs including exercise. I want to get down 20 pounds by the start of June as it will be good for my health, body and times.

I am also referencing the book Racing Weight for help on what to eat, when to eat it and how to get the best out of what i eat for my sesion. I find it a good help and getting the carb/fat/protein balance is important as well.

So weigh in was this morning and i was down 6 pounds. Very happy with that as i ate well, was never hungry and had enough fuel in my body for good workouts and my daily needs.

Off to a new start this week which will be hard as my wife is going in to have a baby tomorrow and with all the in and out to the hospital etc getting proper food into me will be difficult.

BUT i'm am member in the health club across the road and am thrown out for 3 hrs every day so i'll still get to swim and i can go for a run and shower there afterwards.

Anyways time to focus on the next 7 days and keeping the workouts up and proper diet in place.

Spinning tonight...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done elvis on the weight loss and good to see you've started a log. Best of luck with it.

Haven't been around for a while as my wife had a baby girl and i was a little busy !

I did do a club test tri on April 23th and it went well but swim was still slow.

I kept up my swimming but eating wasn't great, but last week i got a bad dose of man flu and got no training in at all. I've made the mistake of coming back too quickly in the past and tried not to do it this time and took almost 9 days off to recover.

I was back out this morning with a swim and hope to do a run later in the day.

• Advertisement

Swim yesterday and not focusing on building up distance without stopping, its going well from my starting point in feb !

Haven't been around for a while as my wife had a baby girl and i was a little busy !

Congrats on your new arrival. That'll keep you busy for a while!

Congrats on your new arrival. That'll keep you busy for a while!

Cheers, should keep me busy for 18 yrs or so !

Oh and i plan a 30km cycle tomorrow morning and 16km run on sunday !

Due to work and family i got nothing done at the weekend:(

Back in work after 3 weeks and i have a routine again so things are easier as i can swim before work and run at lunch.

I got out at lunch for a run and went well. I did some interval work and pushed it hard.

Tomorrow i have a brick session with my club after work and a swim on Friday evening after work.

My diet is good and so much easier when i'm in work with a routine and i bring my own breakfast and lunch and a nice dinner ready for me in the evening.

I have few weeks until Dunmore East so a lot of hard work ahead but worth it when my clothes are looser and i don't have to work as hard to do my workout.

Brick session last night and my 1st time to do one with my club, it was

5km cycle
    2km run

and that was repeated 3 times.

I know not a lot for some but i did find it hard, my legs are still learning and i feel the 6 changes this morning but it was worth it dor the hard workout.

I do intend to build the distance weekly.

Diet is still good and no booze this weekend at all.

Run tomorrow and club cycle Sunday morning as well.

I'm back on the early morning swimming trail next week as i've joined a pool in Dublin and i'll start to get in twice a week before work.

Nothing done over the weekend as i tweaked my calf on the brick session on Thursday night, i don't think i did a proper warm down and am paying for it now.

I took the sensible option and rested it. Seems to be getting better and i'll do a light run tomorrow if its improved more.

I do intend as i said before to get back in the pool early morning this week and a proper warm down after the brick on Thursday:(

Diet has been good over the weekend and a few sausages was the boldest thing i did.

1 glass of wine now and back on the trail tomorrow.

Oh and i bought myself a Trek 2.1

Out on the road at lunch and got 9KM under my belt.

1st 3 were slow with a girl from work and suited me as i said my calf was sore for a few days.

Well it went well and i pushed it once she left me, but there was some wind out there !

Tomorrow is either a run at lunch or cycle with the club if my bike is serviced in time.

Diet is good but sleep isn't with a 4 week old in the house:(

Good session yesterday.

500M warm up

core 5km at full tilt

500M warm down

I pushed it as hard as i could and it was just over 27min, ok i know its slow for some but i was doing it in 30 min at the start of the yr.

My aim for this year is to get it sub 25 min if i can.

I've been thinking for a few weeks to set some serious season goals as i find i do better if i have a something to focus on.

So

Dublin Olyimpic Tri on Aug 30

Dublin city marathon Oct 31

I will be doing some club test tris and sprints to get ready for dublin olympic and some half marathons for the big one in Oct.

As i said yesterday my sleep isn't great with 2 kids under 2 but i do intend to try to get to bed 30 min earlier at night and maybe a little nap one of the days at the weekend.

Swim this evening and brick session tomorrow.

Brick session last night and my 1st time to do one with my club, it was

5km cycle
    2km run

and that was repeated 3 times.

I'm back on the early morning swimming trail next week as i've joined a pool in Dublin and i'll start to get in twice a week before work.

Interesting brick session there - first time I've seen or heard of it but it makes alot of training sense to me. I may rob it on you!

What pool did you join?
    Nothing done over the weekend as i tweaked my calf on the brick session on Thursday night, i don't think i did a proper warm down and am paying for it now.

I took the sensible option and rested it. Seems to be getting better and i'll do a light run tomorrow if its improved more.

Oh and i bought myself a Trek 2.1

Yea, a WD and a good stretch is essential for me too. otherwise the legs feel catmelodion the next day.

Health to wear and strength to tear, with the new steed. Very nice - Shimano 105 - nice one.

Interesting brick session there - first time I've seen or heard of it but it makes alot of training sense to me. I may rob it on you!

What pool did you join?

Yea, a WD and a good stretch is essential for me too. otherwise the legs feel catmelodion the next day.

Health to wear and strength to tear, with the new steed. Very nice - Shimano 105 - nice one.

The brick is just a few routes the club uses and we use laps of it. I actually find it harder than cycling 20K and running 6 km, all the changes in transation work the legs !

I joined Markievicz Swimming Pool but won't ge there til next week with the royal visit etc and might be getting a full carbon Focus Cayo instead of the Trek !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Did you enter the Dublin City Tri at Olympic distance?

Not yet, i paid for 795 this week i'll do it next fri !!

Test tri with my club yesterday morning and holy $hite it was cold......

The race

220M swim
    14.5KM cycle
    3.6KM run

My swim as usual was bad but i took 25 sec of the last time, T1 was very slow and its something i have to work on, cycle was good and i took 45 sec off my time even with the bad wind, T2 was slow again and it was my own fault tryint to change my watch from bike to arm before i left, the run had a slow start......slow middle but a fast finish but was almost 1 min slower than last time.

Overall i enjoyed it and cycle was my best past and the bit i enjoyed the most. They say you have a strongest part of a tri and i'm starting to think mine is the cycle and a way of gaining back some time after my slow swim.

T1 & T2 will have to be worked on and i wear orthorics and find i need socks in my runners or i slip around in them. But with the short distances in sprint and olympic tri i think i can get away without them just for race days so i'm getting a new pair for tri and going to use them from now on.

One positive was that on my simple Giant Defy i was doing better times than guys a LOT fitter on much much better bikes so that has raised my confidence in the cycling area of things.

So much work ahead and im glad of days like yesterday on a course that never changes to show me that. I was faster on 2 out of 3 events but slow transition meant that i missed out on a PB by 21 sec.

Anyways club duathlon this week and a chance to get a PB in that.

Its

1.8km run
    15km bike
    1.8km run

Back swimming in the mornings as well this week and new local club cycle on a sunday morning from next week as well. Also fingers crossed i'm down another pound or more as well.......less of me, more fitness, faster times.........

Weather was terrible yesterday so well done for going to a club tri. I'm sure I would have been tempted to stay inside and take it easy.

Also two PB's out of three is excellent and a good step forward. Transitions are difficult but at least its not down to fitness so practice will make perfect :D

Cheers !

Just about to order my Focus cayo from wiggle...........price has come down by another 70 quid !

Bad week, nothing done at all.

Head just hasn't been in the right place BUT i looked a pic of me in 2009 weighing 260 pounds today, thats shown me how far i've come and let me know there is a lot more to do.

I'll swim in the morning and do a long slow run tomorrow evening, i find them great for head space and to think things out along the way.

We all over times like this and i'm just glad that my diet has held out and i ate no crap.

Bad week, nothing done at all.

Head just hasn't been in the right place BUT i looked a pic of me in 2009 weighing 260 pounds today, thats shown me how far i've come and let me know there is a lot more to do.

I'll swim in the morning and do a long slow run tomorrow evening, i find them great for head space and to think things out along the way.

We all over times like this and i'm just glad that my diet has held out and i ate no crap.

So did you manage to get out and do the LSR?

So did you manage to get out and do the LSR?

No work and family got in the way ( that sounds bad:( ) but its now in for Tuesday............outta work early and then out on the road.

I look forward to reading the update in your log :D

• Advertisement

Another busy week work wise with 3 weddings and all weekend with TriAthy.

I finally got out last night on the new bike and got a handy 20KM done in 44 min, i did it in a route with some steep hills and turns to test out the gears, brakes etc.

This evening is my LSR and i'm aiming for 8 to 10 miles and i'm actaully looking forward to it.

Diet is still good and clothes are looser and wearing others i couldn't have a few weeks ago.

couerdelion i have "the bible" as well and plan to track my 5KM time on monday !

Advertisement