Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I no longer sink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

couerdelion i have "the bible" as well and plan to track my 5KM time on monday !

We'll be "archnemeses" before you know it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Can i be the evil one, they get the funnier lines:cool:

Finally i got out on the road last night and had aimed to do a LSR but changed it up when i got out there and tried to push as fast as i could for as long as i could.

I did 9 miles in 81 min which is a good 9 min/mile pace. If i could do that for another 4 miles and could get under the 2 hr mark for the half marathon i would be very happy.

My body held out well and i feel great today, nothing on this evening but out for 4 or 5 miles at lunch tomorrow.

VERY busy weekend so i won't get to do anything over the weekend at all, but i'll be on my feet for 20 hrs a day so thats enough exercise.

Diet is good and i'm done 8 pounds in the last 7 weeks with inches coming off as well.

That's a good long run. I'm still to try to run for over an hour!

How was that pace compared to what you would expect to run in a race?

Well my normal LSR would be about 95 min for that distance and i'd say last year i was close to 90 min at race speed so i've improved more than i could even have thought.

I'd love to do that pace for the complete half marathon and finish sub 2 hr. I did Clontraf in 2:20 last yr so sub 2 hr would br dream land !

I have a half in Wexford in June and Portlaoise in Aug as a builder to the Dublin one in Sept.

For the race series i'd love

5 mile : sub 42 min
    10 mile : sub 90 min
    half : sub 2 hrs

Ultimate aim is always the full in Oct but i'm not making a decision on that until July.

• Advertisement

Break in work outs due to work load over the weekend, i was doing the PA at triathy and working three 22 hr days at the weekend so no workouts needed:D

Anyway back on the bike yesterday and did 40KM in 1:28. I had my brother in law with me on a hybrid for the first 28km so pace was below what i would have like to do. But i pushed it for the last 12Km and felt good after it and could have done more.

Nothing today as i'm off to David Gray tonight and a nice dinner with my wife.

Tomorrow it will be a brick session with

5km cycle
    2km run
    10km cycle
    2km run
    5 km cycle
    2km run

Over the last 8 weeks i've left 8 pounds and taken 2 inches off my waist.

I'm off work next week and intend to increase the sessions and really start to build distance on my workouts.

Nice 30km on the bike today, well that is apart from falling at 7km and cutting my leg, arm and hand. i was just worried about my bike but it was fine.

Head wind was bad for the majority but my time was 62 min for 30km which i was happy with after my fall and with the wind.

Same again in the morning before i head off to the zoo with the kids.

8 weeks weight challenge starts again on Wen and focus will be on diet again !

Another cycle today with another lovely head wind for the majority of it.

21Km in 41min, really happy with that as i did the same route in Feb and it took me 53 min:o

I've started to use the aero bars i got on my new bike and i'm seeing a difference in my times out there as the position is helping my speed espc in the head wind.

Long slow run tomorrow and i intend to do about 11 miles with the half in Wexford sunday week it will be my last long slow before the event.

How's the new bike going? Much different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Marguerite Tonery

Good luck with the training and the events!

• Advertisement

How's the new bike going? Much different?

I'm finding it a lot faster, the aero bars are great and helping in the wind. The gear ratio is a lot better as well, they allow more speed down hill and easier work up hill.

Its also a lot lighter than my Giant Defy, now all i have to do is get some more of my own weight off !

Off to paint the little lads room and then a long slow run.

Im thinking of not doing the half sunday week as i'll only have hrs sleep the night before and no point paying to do an event if i'm not doing myself justice by getting a good nights sleep and being in the best condition i can.

BUT i will run the distance that day on my own route and keep the training up. Goal is to do sub 2 hr this season !

Ended up spending way too long painting my son's room so had to do a shorter run.

7k in 39:50, just over 5:30 a km so not bad for that distance, hadn't drank much fluids all day and the heat was a killer even over than short distance.

Tomorrow is brick day so it will be the usual repeats.

5km cycle
    2km run

Diet is good and tried on some clothes that are really starting to fit me better.

Bad weekend,

Fri i stayed overnight in a hotel after dinner out and drinks but did a 1km swim in the hotel pool before i went out so a good work out there.

The rest of the weekend i had a bug the rest of it and was laid up on the couch, ate nothing and drink only a tiny amount.

Starting to feeling normal again today and fingers crossed i'll be able to get out for a cycle today as its rather nice out there !

Just got Gerry Duffy's book and i see so much of myself in him being over weight and a couch potato.

There is something he said in one of the 1st pages that hit me right between the eyes.........."IF SOMEONE ELSE CAN DO IT, SO CAN I".

I've makes excuse after excuse not to push for a full marathon or an olympic tri.

So today i put it in writing that on Aug 13th I WILL do an olympic tri and on Oct 31 I WILL do a full marathon.

Not looking to break any records, just to say i've done my 1st and then move to the next goal.

Early morning swimming training begins in the morning.

I was on the train home this evening and wife text me to say to was pouring rain, up ntil today i would have said "ah well i'll do it tomorrow" and go home and sit on the couch and let another training day just pass me by.

BUT i text her back saying " i like rain, i like wind, i like cold, i like getting fit, i like losing weight....nothing will stop me from now on"

So i got in, changed into my gear and went out for an 8k run.

Anyway i designed a new route with some big hills to work on that part of my training.

Time was 46:41, slow enough but happy seeing as i put in hill work to my route.

Tomorrow is the start of my morning swimming and the evening will be 20k on the bike.

Up at 05:30 to get an early train so i can could swim.

1st time in the new pool and it was laid out in 6 lanes, 2 casual, 2 fast, 1 medium, 1 slow.

I went in a casual as i had no idea of the others and as my thread title suggests i'm not the best swimmer on the planet.

Well there were 4 in the lane, myself and 1 other going at an ok pace and 2 other auld farts fannying about ! i drew level with one of the old guys as i reached the wall and me barked at me "no passing in the casual lane" so i just said back " its up on the left, down on the right.......not the middle all the way"......didn't know what to say:D

Anyway for my 1st morning i took it easy and kept an eye on the slow lane, i think thats where i'll be on friday morning as i think it will suit me a lot better.

I did 20 lengths ( 500M ) and i didn't even look at how long it took me seeing as i was waiting for el auld fartio to get out 3/4 up the lane before i started.

20K on the bike this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

i like rain, i like wind, i like cold, i like getting fit, i like losing weight....nothing will stop me from now on"

Those sound like fighting words, best of luck.

Fighting words is right.

A light bulb went off my my head yesterday as i read Gerry Duffy's book. I've wasted so much of my life being a fat lazy [EMAIL="b@stard"]b@stard[/EMAIL] and its time for it to change.

I've made excuses for too long and only hard work will get this weight off and get me to the start and finish lines of the races i long to do.

I was at a high of 260 pounds but am not down to 229, now i want to kick on and get below 200.

You sound like you've got the right attitude. I'll be expecting daily posts on the log from now on :)

You are right though about excuses and hard work. I look in a mirror and am not happy with what I see at the moment. It's good that people tell me I'm looking like I'm losing weight but I'll only be happy when I hit my 210 target.

37lbs to go for me. 30lbs for you. I wonder who'll get there first ;)

You sound like you've got the right attitude. I'll be expecting daily posts on the log from now on :)

You are right though about excuses and hard work. I look in a mirror and am not happy with what I see at the moment. It's good that people tell me I'm looking like I'm losing weight but I'll only be happy when I hit my 210 target.

37lbs to go for me. 30lbs for you. I wonder who'll get there first ;)

Ah a challenge !

I'd love to step onto the start line of the DCM weighing 14 stone......the amount of extra effort i have to put in carrying around all this extra weight ain't good at all !

• Advertisement

Cycle this evening and planned a new route of about 25km.

Winds were high enough and in my face for about 14km in total. Used the tri bars fr about 90 percent of the route and really starting to like them and the position in the wind.

I hit the 20km mark at 38:25 which i was happy with. Then after a further 2km i got a flat wheel:mad:

Had to walk back the last 3km as i rushed out and forgot to put the phone in my jacket. 3km in my cycle shoes was sooooooo nice:rolleyes:

Anyways happy with the cycle up to the point of the flat wheel and my 1st double session day in a while.

Really good diet again today and Gerry's book is keeping me motivated and he really speaks to me in a way no other book of that type has even done as he was my weight, my fitness and is local to where i'm from.........a local idol to look to for inspiration.

Tomorrow is brick day with my club and fingers crossed my wheel stays up as i don't have a great record of changing tubes:(

Well signed up for the Olympic tri, Caroline Karney in 51 days ! A lot of hard work ahead............bring it on:cool:

Also doing Clontarf half marathon Sunday week. Did it last yr in an awful time of 2:20 so i'd really like to beat that !

No brick last night as i was home from work late so decided in my haste to do a 16Km/10M run. I had little to eat during the day and no 4:30 pick my up piece of fruit so perhaps it was a bad decision. Add to that 2 hard days training the 2 previous days and i wasn't in prime condition for a run like that!

Anyways put to 13k all was good but i just started to get hungry and thristy and the last 3km were hell, but i finished it and in a time of 96 min so i was happy with that even if my body wasn't !

But the run gave me time to think and it was a lovely evening. I thought about the half marathon and for once how to run it. Last time i just went out and ran and finished...........no aim, no time, no plan.

This time i'm going for just over 2hr, i know i'm a little off getting my season goal of sub 2hr just yet. So i'm going to split it into four 5km runs with a target time of 29.xx for each and then a 1k run to end line.

Last nights run was on the money for that with 90 min for the three 5km and then a slow enough 6 min final KM.

Any thoughts on this would be great. Today looking like being a rest day but i might go for a walk this evening with a cycle planned for tomorrow and an undefined run for sunday at home in Longford from my parents house.

Just a quick post on my diet, i'll two days this week and see what others think.

Background is that i am upping my exersice but still need to get my weight down so have to find that magic balance that gives enough energy but still cuts the pounds.

During both days i drink a lot of no added sugar squash, i can only stomach so much plain water !

Day 1 is with an early morning swim before work and 20km cycle in the evening

Pre Session

Medium Banana

Breakfast

Porridge with sultanas and chushed hazelnuts

Morning Snack

Low fat Yogurt and grande drip coffee with sweetner

Lunch

4 tomato sambos on multigrain bread with olive oil spread
    bag of low fat crisps

Evening Snack

Medium Apple

Evening Meal

2 medium potatos
    portion of carrot
    portion of green beans
    portion of garden peas
    1 piece of breaded fish oven cooked

Day 2

This day just has one evening session of an 8KM run

Breakfast

Porridge with blue berries and a spoon of honey

Mid Morning Snack

Low fat yogurt and grande drip coffee with sweetners

Lunch

4 tuna sambos on multigrain bread with peppers, onion and a spoon of mayo.
    Homemade roasted pepper and garlic soup ( all veg, water and a stock cube blended )
    bag of low fat crisps

Mid Afternoon Snack

Medium apple

Evening Meal

Pork steak stirfry ( onions, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, garlic, soy sauce, seasoning ) and 125 grams of noodles.

Enjoyed my rest day with a little bit of choc and some popcorn watching U2 !

Tomorrow is 40km on the bike no matter the weather.

Sunday roughly 8km at home in Longford but it will depend on the route !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Up at 05:30 to get an early train so i can could swim.

1st time in the new pool and it was laid out in 6 lanes, 2 casual, 2 fast, 1 medium, 1 slow.

I went in a casual as i had no idea of the others and as my thread title suggests i'm not the best swimmer on the planet.

Well there were 4 in the lane, myself and 1 other going at an ok pace and 2 other auld farts fannying about ! i drew level with one of the old guys as i reached the wall and me barked at me "no passing in the casual lane" so i just said back " its up on the left, down on the right.......not the middle all the way"......didn't know what to say:D

Anyway for my 1st morning i took it easy and kept an eye on the slow lane, i think thats where i'll be on friday morning as i think it will suit me a lot better.

I did 20 lengths ( 500M ) and i didn't even look at how long it took me seeing as i was waiting for el auld fartio to get out 3/4 up the lane before i started.

20K on the bike this evening.

What pool was this? I have a feeling I might know this old guy... Having had a run in with him.

mloc123 wrote: »
    What pool was this? I have a feeling I might know this old guy... Having had a run in with him.

Markievicz Swimming Pool on Townsend st !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Markievicz Swimming Pool on Townsend st !

Hah, yup. He gave put to me one morning as I was in the middle of my kicking portion of a set. I splashed him apparantly. I'd like to say I took the high ground but the 'conversation' ended with me telling him to go **** himself.

Edit: I should mention I wasn't even in his lane, I was one over.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Hah, yup. He gave put to me one morning as I was in the middle of my kicking portion of a set. I splashed him apparantly. I'd like to say I took the high ground but the 'conversation' ended with me telling him to go **** himself.

Edit: I should mention I wasn't even in his lane, I was one over.

Ya he's a knob of the highest order, complaining that the life guard was looking at his phone and not at him swimming !

Advertisement