Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I no longer sink

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Up at 6:45 this morning with my little fella and breakfast at 8:00.

When my wife got up at 10 i got ready to get out on the road. I did a total of 40KM on the bike and the wind was awful and was in my face for about 25k of it. At times i was down to 12km per hr up hill into the wind:o

Anyway did it in 86 min which is 6 min off my race pace and even with a hard wind i need to fight through it.

Groin was sore afterwards buy wore off after about an hr.

One area i am lacking in is SLEEP so i grabbed 2 hrs when my wife was out meeting friends with the kids so i feel a good bit better now and will try to get this every weekend if i can !

Run tomorrow at home and i think its gonna be hilly !

Nice hilly course today that i've always wanted to run at home and finally did today.

It worked out to be 5.85KM and did it in 33:12 which is roughly 5:4xmin a km which is what i seem to be constantly doing at the moment. Hills were hard but worth it as i need to get them into at least 1 workout a week.

Legs were a little tired at the end but got there.

Swim in the morning.

Swam at lunch this afternoon and the pool was a bit quieter, did a total of 750m ( 30 lengths 25m pool )

1st 10 were hard, next 20 went fine and final 10 were hard. Only my 2nd time in the pool in weeks but felt good overall.

I'm try to build up to 1500M per session in the next 2 weeks and then 1500M four times a week until Aug and the big Olympic tri !

Swim again tomorrow at lunch and actually looking forward to it and pushing out that distance a little more once again.

Weigh in tomorrow and am confident that i'm down a bit as i eat very well and had a good week of training as well.

This week is looking like

Tues Swim
    Wen Club Duathlon 1.8km run, 15km bike, 1.8km run
    Thurs Swim
    Fri 20km slow cycle
    Sat rest
    Sun Half Marathon
    Mon recovery swim

Another swim at lunch and went well, i added anther 150 to bring my total up to 900M for the session.

Arms are sore now but worth it really.

I might not do the duathlon tomorrow to taper a bit for the hlaf marathon but everything else will stay the same for the week.

Diet is still perfect and down 4 pounds this week. Very happy with that and just above the 16 stone mark fingers crossed come next tuesday i'll be below it for the 1st time in 8 yrs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You swimming in the Mark at lunch time? How do you find it, busy or okay?

• Advertisement

I'm either in late or early so its not too bad at all, quieter than the morning actually. I rather the late ( after half 1 ) as the place really starts to empty out.

I'll be trying a 4PM swim on thursday to judge that as well.

Today Elvis shall rest !

I can feel in my legs that i need i to listen to them and take a rest day so i can be in good shape for the half on sunday. I'm still building up and don't want to over train and have an unforced set back. Its hard to do as i'm in the training "zone" but i'll feel the benefits tomorrow and as the duathlon is then and not this evening i'm going to do it with a swim on fri.

I'll just relax on saturday with maybe a walk around the block with the kids and some stretching.

Well i did the test duathlon with the club this evening and beat my PB by almost 7 mins.

I did one is Feb and it took me 53 min. Today was just over 46 min.

It consisted of

1.9 km run
    15km cycle
    1.9km run

I'll post splits when they are posted on the club site.

I was very happy with my time and how much i've improved in the few months since i did the last once. Also the rest day did me the world of good and left me more confident about sunday and moving forward from here.

Ok i got my splits from last night and have to say i'm happy as i improved in every area.

1.9 run - 7:52 ( previous 8:55 )
    T1 - 1:37 ( previous 1:43 )
    14.85 cycle - 26:26 ( previous 31:13 )
    T2 - 1:20 ( previous 1:39 )
    1.9 run - 9:05 ( previous 10:03 )

Cycle was an amazing time and 3rd fastest overall. Runs are still a little off but as the weight comes off they will drop . As you can see from the previous race in Feb i'm really brought down my times and in 4 weeks when the final one for the season is on i intend to 45 min and shave some more time off even if i have to leave right after it and do a gig in cavan:eek:

Swim at lunch today, i'd say i'll only do about 750m as i'm meant to be tapering for the half on Sunday:D

Also i have to say that i'm at my fittest in 15 yrs and by the end of the year i can only imagine how i'll be if i stay injury free !

Only 600M swim at lunch. Legs were a little tired and didn't want to push it with the half marathon on Sunday.

Rest tomorrow ( well it will be after i take down out decking :( ) and some carb loading :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Ok i got my splits from last night...

That's some improvement and some pretty good run splits! Your cycling os a great time too. Hmmm you could have moved out of range of being my nemesis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭griffin100

Some great improvement there Elvis. It's s nice boost to see the training paying dividends.

That's some improvement and some pretty good run splits! Your cycling os a great time too. Hmmm you could have moved out of range of being my nemesis :D

Not yet, we'll see how i am in 6 weeks when this phase of training is over !

Griffin its great to help the mood !

"rest" day on saturday which involved taking down the decking the back garden and getting it ready to lay slabs this weekend.........some rest;)

Anyway Clontarf half marathon yesterday and was happy with it.

My season goal half marathon wise is to run a sub 2h half. My fastest last yr was 2:22 so a bif of work had to be done.

Yesterday i planned to run 2:06 and take 12 min off that time. Well thats what i did in some serious heat !

I planned to do 4 x 5KM at 30 min and then 1 final km at 6min and it worked to a tee.

I prob could have pushed a little harder but i seen this race as a building block and hope to take a bit more off in 4 weeks in Portlaoise.

But its the 2nd PB in the space of a week:cool:

I was going to swim at lunch but i think i'll take the bike out this evening instead and stretch out the weary legs. A gentle 20km will do the job !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done on the HM PB. I saw you heading for the finish line in your luminous yellow top. I was standing on the path directing runners up on to the grass towards the finish area.

Ya i stood out but in that heat i wore it to reflect the sun ( well thats my excuse;) )

well done to all the marshalls and those who complained about not seeing the finish line really have some neck to give out about not seeing the big clock etc:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well I can symathise with those who missed the finish line as you had to come up off the black path and run up towards the grass. Plus at the end of a race you're going to be fairly drained physically and mentally. There should have been some cones and rope or something to channel the runners in. One of the top 5 HM runners didn't see it and had to turn back for the finish - and lost a number of places as a result.

I came down to help out on behalf of Raheny Shamrock club. I went over to the finish area to ask what they wanted me to do. I was asked to help remove the chips. Then when I saw what was going on with the runners not seeing the finish line I said I'ld head over there and direct people up to the finish. I didn't have a reflective vest as they had none, so some runners didn't see me waving my hands or shouting out where to go as there was also a fair crowd at the finish. That aspect of the finish was badly organised IMO.

Macanri wrote: »
    Well I can symathise with those who missed the finish line as you had to come up off the black path and run up towards the grass. Plus at the end of a race you're going to be fairly drained physically and mentally. There should have been some cones and rope or something to channel the runners in. One of the top 5 HM runners didn't see it and had to turn back for the finish - and lost a number of places as a result.

I came down to help out on behalf of Raheny Shamrock club. I went over to the finish area to ask what they wanted me to do. I was asked to help remove the chips. Then when I saw what was going on with the runners not seeing the finish line I said I'ld head over there and direct people up to the finish. I didn't have a reflective vest as they had none, so some runners didn't see me waving my hands or shouting out where to go as there was also a fair crowd at the finish. That aspect of the finish was badly organised IMO.

Ya that was my only negative from last yr, i think i gave you a thumbs up as i passed.

Overall a great race but i would agree that is a negative.

Oh and just seen that its a new PB by 14 min and not 12 so yippee:D

So i found it very hard to motivate myself to go to the pool today, i was going through every excuse in my head that i could think of. Some how i fought off the negative thoughts and got to the pool for a slow session that brought some life back to my legs.

I only did 500M and then hit the sauna for a few min for my legs.

I feel great now and so happy i made it to the pool and did the session even if it was only a small one.

Weigh in day tomorrow and fingers crossed i've got below the magic 16 stone.

I have work to do in the back garden this evening if there is a trailer available. If there is no trailer i'll hop out on the bike for 20 to 30km.

Diet is back to normal now after my carb loading for sunday and feeling good.

• Advertisement

Bad week training wise as there was a lot of work to be done at home for my daughter's christening on the 23rd. Motivation was bad as well last week for some reason.

All i really did was some swimming and that was welcome for my legs are the half marathon the week before.

Saturday was a tri in Bunclody ( racing 795 ) and was a disaster and a dog send at the same time.

Swim was slow as i knew it would be but the same advice from 2 people has made me rethink when i'm doing and will start fresh this week with a different swim attitude.

Cycle, well a flat after 5km stopped me in my tracks, there was a monster hill on the way out of the town but by the time got my flat i had already passed out 5 people and hit the 5KM mark in 9:40 so pace was good and a pity i didn't get to finish it.

I got a lift back and decided to do the run after a few min so headed off on a run which was 2.5km up a hill and 2.5km down........i did it in 25:40 which is a PB and really brought a smile to my face after the disaster of the cycle.

Major positive of the day was to find such a great race with a tough cycle and run and amazing set up.

I'll be back next year to do the whole lot:D

All eyes for the next 14 days are on increasing my trainging and trying to bring it up a notch with some double sessions, change in swim additude and getting more length into my cycles.

This starts with a 13km run this evening.

I have the 5 mile race series on sat and treating it as a training session with a PB in the back of my mind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Tough luck with the puncture. It's something I worry about but if I got one I aren't sure I would be bothered to change the tyre and carry on.

I reckon you'll beat 40 mins on Saturday.

Tough luck with the puncture. It's something I worry about but if I got one I aren't sure I would be bothered to change the tyre and carry on.

I reckon you'll beat 40 mins on Saturday.

Don't think so as i'd have to be able to do 5Km in 25 and i'm 40 sec away from that at the moment plus its a big race and you have to jockey for position at the start. But once i get a PB i'm stepping in the right direction !

I couldn't be bothered to fix it on sat and i'm slow as hell at doing it.

Out on the road agian last night and did a 13.5km run. As usual the 3km were awful but the legs opened up and it felt good from there on.

I added some hills into my route with a nasty one at 9km.

As i finished body felt good and i actually had lots left in the tank which was a major positive for me.

Run took me 1:16:XX and that works out at 5:39 per km which in an improvment on previous runs of that length and i think of i had kept going i could have beat a season goal of 10 miles sub 90 min. I think i might rethink that goal and bring it down to 85 min.

I was back late and didn't get to fix the flat on the bike so the plan for today has changed.

Lunch swim
    Evening 8km run and fix that flat !

Tomorrow is weigh in and fingers crossed i'll be down a bit maybe another cm off the belly !

Well no swim yesterday as my googles and hat were in my tri bag from the weekend............i'm having no luck:(

But got out on the road again and did 10KM.

1st 2.4km were very slow with my wife who is only getting back on the road after having a baby. Total time was 1:03 and i put in some serious hills in there again to build that part of my training. I'm very happy with the fact that when i'm finished a hill how quick my pace gets back to normal.

Legs were heavy at the end but there was still something in the tank. With two hard sessions on my legs in two days i strapped on the ice packs to my lower legs and helped with recovery.

It was swimming at lunch today and it was time to take the advice of my wife and Oryx who both gave me the same piece of advice with an hr of each other.

I'm only swimming since Feb of this yr and have no confidence in my swimming.

I'll put it this way..............

I'm only running since Oct 09 and couldn't run 5 yds and now can do 15 miles

I only got a proper bike last yr and when i started doing 20Km it took about 50 min, now my average is 38 min.

I know i can improve and improve in those two areas but don't have the same confidence in swimming. I stop at the end of every length and haven't been in open water yet. I'm slow enough as it is but stopping every length is really adding to my time.

So i was told to just keep swimming as its all in my head.

Thats what i did today i was doing a constant 4 lengths without stopping and even when i did it was only for 5 sec.

I did a total of 750 M and it was great for recovery. I felt good and am going to add to those lengths each day. I have 3 more swim sessions planned this week and if i can get up to 8 lengths my then i'll be very happy.

Nothing on this evening apart from fixing that bloody wheel so i can get out on the bike again tomorrow evening and clock up at least 40km !

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

elvis, get someone to show you how to turn efficiently. I dont mean tumble turning, just the method of striking the pool wall, bringing your feet up and pushing off in one fluid motion. Your gliding is excellent already. Once you can turn cleanly it will really help you keep your rhythm going. I was only shown this in the early part of the year and it made a huge difference to my times.

As for staying going, once you can do 100m without stopping, it seems to break that thing of 'having' to stop, and longer stretches suddenly become doable.

Oryx wrote: »
    elvis, get someone to show you how to turn efficiently. I dont mean tumble turning, just the method of striking the pool wall, bringing your feet up and pushing off in one fluid motion. Your gliding is excellent already. Once you can turn cleanly it will really help you keep your rhythm going. I was only shown this in the early part of the year and it made a huge difference to my times.

As for staying going, once you can do 100m without stopping, it seems to break that thing of 'having' to stop, and longer stretches suddenly become doable.

I have and in the deep end i can do it no problem.........the shallow end and tucking the legs and moving them is the part i find hard. He also showed me the position to get my body in to get as far as i can with the kick off. The kicking off went well today ( deep end ) and i thought the same as you in the shallow end.

Doing the 100M non stop actually felt good today and gave me a lot of confidence.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Glad to hear that. My memories of breaking through that barrier are still fresh. :) Re: the shallow end turning, simply forget its shallow and do exactly what you do in the deep end. It will work.

If youve got from zero to where you are now in that short time you clearly have a great coach. :D

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Glad to hear that. My memories of breaking through that barrier are still fresh. :)Re: the shallow end turning, simply forget its shallow and do exactly what you do in the deep end. It will work.

If youve got from zero to where you are now in that short time you clearly have a great coach. :D

I'll try that tomorrow.

He's a great coach and the stopping thing is only in my head. I had the same breathing after 4 lengths that i had after 1............:mad:

Advertisement