Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I no longer sink

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Work got in the way so no swim today but i am going to do a very light 5km this evening just to stretch out the legs.

5 mile race series in the morning and hoping for a PB. Last yr was 45:44 and that route was short:mad: so i have to beat that.

Sub 43 min

Yesterday went well 41:33 so beat my goal by almost 90 sec.

Good race and felt good !

Swim tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

You suck at race reports :D

I did enough whinging on the other thread without starting here:D

Very quiet weel training week. I did some swimming and a light run earlier in the week but got a LSR in later with a half marathon distance in 2:15, nice pace and a lovely pair of bloody nipples when i got back ! I'd only planned to do 12KM so no vaseline.

I'll do a bit more this week and have a club duathlon on Thursday night so hope for a PB. Also midlands half marathon on Monday.

Oh and with the christening on the diet has been ubber crap:o

• Advertisement

Karma gave me a serious bite in the ass yesterday !

Midlands half marathon in Portlaoise and was hoping for another PB.

Last week was another busy one with work and got very little training done, diet was good but lack of sleep was my major issue. I'll explain

Wen 7 hrs
    Thurs 2 hrs
    Fri 7 hrs
    Sat 3.5 hrs

I thought i was fine and did my usual warm up and stretches and went to the start line where i met a few heads from my triathlon club.

Off we went and after a short down hill it was mainly up hill for the first 5.5 miles.

It all went wrong after 2 miles, my legs begun to go.........yeah after 2 miles with 11 still to go:(

My head was fine, chest was fine, legs were fine but there was nothing in the legs.

I kept going but my pace was off and stopped at 7KM to stretch and see would that help. The 2 hr pacers passed me at that point as i was just ahead of them.

I headed off again but there was nothing there every time i tried, no power in the legs on the hills and on the flat i just couldn't put the pace at all.

I just kept going ( slowly ) and if i had to crawl i was crossing the line !

I got there in 2:17 and was only fit to lie on the grass and wonder what the hell just happened ????????

I ran a half at that pace 10 days ago in training and had lots left in the legs and felt great but yesterday just shattered me.

I got home and had my usual choc milk after a long run...........10 mins later i was in bed feeling worse than any hangover............30 mins later i was vomiting.

I had a shower and came back down stairs and my wife handed my lucozade sport which after an hr started to work and by 7pm i felt human again.

Today my legs are stiff and heavy, nothing like they normally feel after a long run or race.

All i can think of is the sleep as i had tapered and eat well.

Anyway dust myself off and will do 3 slow miles this evening with lots of stretches.

Club test tri on sat and no Dj work so no late nights..........i plan to run the course again on Sunday morning to banish it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sorry to hear about that, elvis. It does happen. You could have had a 24 hr bug, or something, which you might not have noticed but for the fact you put your body under HM stress, which brought it all to a head. Take a few rest days and come back into it gradually. Hope your weekend goes well.

I honestly thought it was just sleep and really has me head scratching. Never happened to me before as if my legs were tired my whole body felt tired but yesterday i felt good but legs just wouldn't do what i told them:D

I'm going to do 3 miles this evening just to stretch out and swimming the rest of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

On the plus side, it was a much better effort at a race report :D

Woddle wrote: »
    On the plus side, it was a much better effort at a race report :D

I actually thought of that as i wrote it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Sorry we never got a chance to meet in person yesterday! [I was one of the 3 or 4 people with the blue boards ac singlet on]

Good work for sticking with it, and completing it.

I find sleep is all important, if I dont get decent sleep my training runs are like crap - so I bet that is a huge factor in your race yesterday.

I read racing weight recently and it brought home to me the importance of proper sleep.

My work isn't great for that..........DJ's don't get to bed early at the weekends:(

My wife said good enough for ya ! I needed a major fail like that to see the importance of sleep and i think its been brought home to me in spades.

I didn't see 1 boards singlet.............then again after 2 miles i don't think i was seeing much at all:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Pfffft... excuses!

htfu.jpg

;)

You'll be glad to know couerdelion that 10 miles took me 100 min yesterday:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Sorry we didn't get to chat yesterday. Well done on saying going yesterday if you were in trouble before the hill, it must have made that bit awful.

Put it down to an experience learnt as some days the body just doesn't want to know regardless of what you do. Its ok on a training day but on a race day, its a right killer.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Sorry we didn't get to chat yesterday. Well done on saying going yesterday if you were in trouble before the hill, it must have made that bit awful.

Put it down to an experience learnt as some days the body just doesn't want to know regardless of what you do. Its ok on a training day but on a race day, its a right killer.

Monday showed me i have the mental strength needed for DCM even when it gets hard and the pain sets in my head won't let me quit.

I believe you learn something on every run, some positive lessons and some negative lessons.

Not looking for medical advice but my quads are still very sore :confused::confused: Never had this before either.

I think i'll get out on the bike this evening and a cold bath afterwards.

Ever tried an ice bath? I did. Once. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Ever tried an ice bath? I did. Once. :)

No just a plunge pool:eek::eek::eek: did i mention:eek::eek::eek:

Well i did my ice bath last night and stayed in for 7 min..........went well and my legs feel normal again today.

Out on the bike tonight and i'm itching to get out:)

• Advertisement

Test tri with my club this weekend and i did a PB so last Monday is partly banished.

I've done 3 of them this yr and i'll show the times below.

Swim ( 220 M )- 7:45/7:27/5:30
    T1- 1:27/1:37/1:30
    Cycle (14.5 KM ) - 26:12/25:37/24:39
    T2 - 1:07/1:34/1:33
    Run ( 3.6KM ) 18:40/19:22/18:13

The last set of times were last sat and the 1st set were in may, second in June.

My swim has come on and thats because of advice from Oynx. I'm just not stopping as much and keeping it going as long as i can. I took 2 mins off my time.

T1 is T1 and i can see myself improving much there unless i put the shoes on the bike which i wouldn't be comfortable doing just yet.

Cycle is getting better and i held off slightly as the last time i pushed it too hard and my run suffered. BUT it was my fastest time yet on the bike so happy about that.

T2 is a problem for my as i use orthotics and have to put on socks because my feet slosh around in the runners with no socks and makes running impossible. I am looking at getting new runners for sprint tri as its only 5K and my legs should be ok with that.

Run was good and ran my best time yet. So happy with that after the disaster of last Monday. My legs felt strong and i ran a constant 5km/min pace off the bike. I couldn't do 5:30 km/min with fresh legs earlier in the yr.

Overall happy and i'm really seeing an improvment. I intend to keep working on my swimming over the winter as the cycling and running are coming along nicely.

No race this weekend so going to do a hard weeks training and so a LSR of about 25K on sat morning.

Swim at lunch and 8KM hill work run tonight.

Brand new, unwashed thin cotton socks (puma type) are easiest to get on fast in my experience. :) I wear them from T1 because I prefer socks on the bike too. Glad to hear your swim is coming on well. Knew you could do it. Got any key tips to make me into a competent cyclist in oh, say, three weeks? :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Brand new, unwashed thin cotton socks (puma type) are easiest to get on fast in my experience. :) I wear them from T1 because I prefer socks on the bike too. Glad to hear your swim is coming on well. Knew you could do it. Got any key tips to make me into a competent cyclist in oh, say, three weeks? :)

Legs like tree trunks and cycle as if there is a large ape trying to catch you.........as in harder and faster !

Got off the train earlier than usual this morning and ran home. 8Km and wow it was warm, good pace to start off with, dropped a bit and came back strong.

43:40 for the 8KM and was tired at the end but it was warm as i said !

Tomorrow is cycle evening.

LSR this eveing and 15 miles is on my radar !

Aiming for about 2:30 and was advised to only have 1 energy gel along the way.

I shall report back.........if i am alive:)

Good luck with the LSR. 15 miles seems huge to me.

Good luck with the LSR. 15 miles seems huge to me.

Me too:o i'm focusing on running now until November and then training for my main event of 2012.

When i get to the marathon it will be a major tick on my fitness CV, i'm going to train more and do less events in 2012.

Me too:o i'm focusing on running now until November and then training for my main event of 2012.

When i get to the marathon it will be a major tick on my fitness CV, i'm going to train more and do less events in 2012.

I'm thinking of doing the same alright.

You've got one more tri left this year, yeah?

I'm thinking of doing the same alright.

You've got one more tri left this year, yeah?

I have a club race and a sprint in Oct all going well. Open water olympic just isn't in my swimming, yet, i'm working on my swimming all winter and will be in a position in 2012 to do any race i want to do..............

I have 2 races in mind to be my focus tri in 2012, at the moment all thats holding me back is my swimming.

• Advertisement

LSR last night and i aimed for 15 miles but did 14.

I tend to do everything in KM these days as thats what my watch is set up for and what my head works in ( because of triathlons i think ). Anyway i did a total of 22.6KM which equates to 14 miles.

I'm aiming for 4:30 in DCM and intend to split it into 4 x 10KM with 2km at the end. If i convert that into km/min it looks at roughly 6:18 per KM.

Last night i ran TOO FAST, my average was 6:21 which was too fast for my LSR, i did the 1st 10km in 59:30 and the 2nd 10KM in a more sensible 1:05. Doing that 1st 10km so fast left little in the tank for the final 2.5k and the pace really slowed.

I used one gel at 13Km and it seemed to help. I also stopped for 30 sec to take that gel with a drink as i don't like taking them while i move. At the end the legs were weak and calf begun to wobble in the final 500M but i got there !

Choc milk and a banana within 3 min of finishing, stretches and straight into an ice bath for 6 min. Stomach didn't feel great for an hr after but i dropped off to sleep.

Up early with little E's this morning and feel perfect.

Plan is to cycle tomorrow ( wife is getting a bike for her birthday from a wonderful husband )

Sunday will be an 8 mile run and return of the premier league !

Advertisement