Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I no longer sink

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Cycling weekend. Nice 40k on sat at a good pace that felt good.

Good session saturday ( wine etc :D ) so went out with my wife for a cycle on her new bike. Nice and slow and actually enjoyed just turning over the legs without having to push it to beat a time or get up a hill.

Plan for the week is.

Mon - 5 mile run
    Tues - club cycle ( 50ish KM )
    Wen - 8 mile run
    Thurs - Swim
    Fri rest
    Sat - 10 Mile race
    Sun - Club cycle ( if i'm not working sat night )

6 miles at lunch and the 1st 3 were hard, i knew i had been drinking at the weekend but i pushed on and finished with a nice pace.

Out this evening with my wife for a gentle 3 miles which should leave the legs in a good position for the club cycle tomorrow.

I really am thinking 10 mile will be just under 90 min on Sat if i can take it easy thus & fri and well hydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I'm aiming for 4:30 in DCM and intend to split it into 4 x 10KM with 2km at the end. If i convert that into km/min it looks at roughly 6:18 per KM.

Hey EJ,

I'm down to pace the 4.30 group @ DCM, so would be great to have at least one tri-head along for the ride:)

The pacing is even split all the way, so aiming for approx 6.18 for each km.

Izoard wrote: »
    Hey EJ,

I'm down to pace the 4.30 group @ DCM, so would be great to have at least one tri-head along for the ride:)

The pacing is even split all the way, so aiming for approx 6.18 for each km.

that sounds perfect,

i need to slow down to about 6:40 for those LSR

laid low with the dose.......no work today and no energy:(

make to work tomorrow but don't think i'll train again until thursday. need to make the start line on sat so don't want to push it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How are you feeling today, man?

Oryx wrote: »
    How are you feeling today, man?

Still a bit rough. Gonna try a short run this evening. But I think racing 10 miles on sat might be too much too soon.

I think I'll to a LSR on Sunday at home. Give myself those extra 24 hrs.

Yep tomorrow is a no go:(

LSR at home for me and a long soak in the bath.

10 weeks to DCM, i'm to a 14 mile LSR........i should should get there, i think its about finishing and not time for my 1st one.

Radio/music in your ears and don't think about the distance or time. Just enjoy the headspace. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Radio/music in your ears and don't think about the distance or time. Just enjoy the headspace. :)

Thats what i normally do, lovely country roads and time to get away from 2 kids under 2 and a crazy house:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Woah what about our bet? :eek:

Hold it for Ballycotton !!!!!!

Hold it for Ballycotton !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Shame you missed out on the 10 miler but in the scheme of things it was not an important race for you. Good luck in your training towards the DCM.

We'll carry our bet forward to another time :D

Shame you missed out on the 10 miler but in the scheme of things it was not an important race for you. Good luck in your training towards the DCM.

We'll carry our bet forward to another time :D

Balycotton if it doesn't get in the way of your 1/2IM.

Quiet week getting rid of this dose once and for all. I did some swimming on thursday and felt fine.

I hope to do 8km tomorrow and see how my chest is. If all is fine i'll do 10 miles monday evening at LSR pace and build my week from there.

Only 9 weeks left on monday so 7 weeks of hard training and 2 weeks of tapering:eek:

Sitting here waiting to start my gig and getting a bad pain in my ear, its what my had all week and went into her throat and laid her low for a week......i hope i don't get it that bad:(

I finally got back out last night and did 10.5 km.

It was very tough and i think it was my body punishing my for all the food and drink i had when i was ill/holiday.

I've started a new route with a good few hills as i'm beginning to think that flat runs are pointless.

Anyway at the end i was spent and it at a pace between 10km and marathon, 6:01 per/km

Out on the bike this evening and i'll do 30km, i need a few weeks really hard work to feel i'll be able for DCM.

I did the 30km last night, on my way home i wasn't up for it and tried to talk myself out of it BUT i got home say the nice weather, no wind and just changed and went out.

Went a route i've done a few times before and the 1st 5km were very hard, i just couldn't get my mojo going. But i went up a long steep hill and enjoyed it. From then on i kept the pace up and the hills came easy.

I got back and left groin was a little tight, i think its the cleet on my left shoe. Bike being serviced this evening so i'll mention it and we'll have a look.

Anyway, nothing today but light 6k run tomorrow before 24K on friday and the build to the 3/4 marathon on Oct 2 and that stepping stone leading to DCM.

My mental attitude to the longer runs is to break them down into 10K splits and once one is done i just focus on the next 10k so i never have more than 9.xx to complete.

Nice rest yesterday and body feels so much better for it.

Today is a nice 6km at a slow pace to clock up some more on the legs.

Tommorrow will be 16K and not 24K as i have to work tonight and will only get 5 hrs sleep..........me + little sleep = awful runs.

I'll hold off my LSR this week until monday as i have a busy busy weekend.

Things are getting harder and i have no energy.

Here is what i deal with on a weekly basis.

Two kids, 2 and 4 months.
    Perhaps 1 proper nights sleep a month
    Full time Job
    18 hrs commuting
    Part time Job at weekend

So add family time into the above and my basic week is packed.

In March/April i was up at 6ish to train and get out early to come home and train. Energy levels were high and i felt great.

Fast forward to Sept and i'll be lucky to be up at 7:20 whcih means no morning trainging, i'm home late and after son to bed etc i just don't have the energy/want to train.

I have trained at lunch that leads to me eating my lunch in 4 mins and sweating for half the afternoon.

I need to find a balance, my trainging so far has my weight down and fitness up a lot. But i want to go further and have bigger events i want to do and do well. But finding the balance and time to train is going to be my problem.

The weekend are hard as i can work fri & sat night with 5am being the time i get to bed sometimes. I try to get up at 11 so i have time with the kids and before i know it the weekend is gone, no training is done and i'm trying to do a LSR on a monday..........with the dark nights coming and where i live this isn't going to be possible.

I have to decide do i stay at the level i'm at ( half marathons & max of Olympic tri ) or do i cut back on family time and lunch etc to get to marathon and half IM.

Any thoughts would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I need to find a balance, my trainging so far has my weight down and fitness up a lot. But i want to go further and have bigger events i want to do and do well. But finding the balance and time to train is going to be my problem.

The weekend are hard as i can work fri & sat night with 5am being the time i get to bed sometimes. I try to get up at 11 so i have time with the kids and before i know it the weekend is gone, no training is done and i'm trying to do a LSR on a monday..........with the dark nights coming and where i live this isn't going to be possible.

I have to decide do i stay at the level i'm at ( half marathons & max of Olympic tri ) or do i cut back on family time and lunch etc to get to marathon and half IM.

Any thoughts would be great.

Finding time to train can be tough. It really boils down to how much you want to step up your training. As you say, you might have to cut back on family time to increase your training so at the end of the day, it's up to you to decide which is more important to you.

My 2 cents are that you've gotten yourself into good shape and there's nothing wrong with maintaining that level. Consistent training at the level you're at will lead to incremental improvements over time. Why not wait for a year or two before stepping up the training? By then, the kids will be a little older, sleep might be more forthcoming and your work week might not be as punishing. You'll have a couple extra years of reasonable and consistent training under your belt also.

Now, there'll be lots here that will give you the HTFU and just find the time to train speech but for me, if you're genuinely finding it really tough to get the high intensity training in, and you spend as much time worring about it as you do training, then you'll start not to enjoy it. And for me this is the most important point - why train if you don't enjoy it?

Well done on getting to where you're at now. I'm enjoying keeping up with your log and hope to see lots more entries. But at what level you train at - that's up to you to decide, just keep enjoying it;)

My first thoughts on reading that are don't lose heart. Youre heading towards DCM, into the heaviest part of the training load, and youre coming off an already hard year. Tiredness is part and parcel and it's not unusual to feel a bit worn down by it. Thats what I think I'm hearing.

When you up your training load, it is hard to stay motivated when you're tired and pressured. (Believe me, I have two kids and a full time job as well. I know. :p )

I'm not the most experienced of people, especially when it comes to marathon, but I do know what its like to juggle training and life. I also know that worn down feeling. All I can advise is planning. Map out your week, plot your training, and stick to it, come rain, hail, shine or baby's tantrums. Ask your missus for a few weeks of understanding. Taper is not so far away. :) Buy a head torch and a hi viz vest. Get out early. Be economical with the time you do have. Sleep when youd normally sit up watching shoite tv. It requires planning, and a bit of change. Wave bye bye to that old clubbing lifestyle, ha.

I hope whichever way, you make a decision on training that you are content with. Good luck and like I said, dont let it wear you down. Youre meant to enjoy this!

Thanks for the replies guy and firstly i will say that i am going to do DCM if i have to crawl over the line as i'm doing it for a charity and don't want to let them down.

A few things.

@Cleanman Staying at those levels would be fine if i focued on PB and building speed. I see what you mean about holding off and its something i have to consider. Either way i will continue to train but for what is the question.

@Oryx/half iron woman:D Early nights are the norm for us, i'm in bed by 10 most nights unless i'm working. I think a major problem is recovery from lack of sleep at the weekend. When i was younger it wasn't a problem but if i work at the weekend and train/family stuff as well i'm on my arse until the middle of the week and i've lost at least one session. There are weekends where between the 2 nights i have 7 hrs sleep and try to do a session as well.

The sleep/tiredness aspect 1st came to light in the half in Portlaosie where there is nothing in my legs in the monday after working fri and sat night even when i rested on sunday.

Its not that i don't enjoy the training, i do ( even swimming sometimes ) even like others its not until i'm 5 miles into a run and the legs come to life.

I'd love my life to have structure but Irish rail let me down eating up time, late gigs come in taking over nights and mornings, kids.....well they are what they are and need what they need. I'm so lucky this year to have no injury and have have added to my CV but can i move it forward more. DCM will happen and after that a lot of thinking will have to be done.

The clubbing lifestyle will be here for at least 3 more years and we can pay off all the silly things we did in the auld tiger days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

EJ...timely post - I think there are a number of people reading it, thinking the same (me for one!).

At the end of the day, this is a hobby, so family and work have to take precedence.

Also, there is an assumption that going long (blame Oryx for that one...:)) is the holy grail, but as someone who is juggling lots of balls, there is a compelling arguement for you to try to go faster, rather than longer.
    6-8 quality hours of training per week, would have you in a solid position for great gains in Olympic distance next year.

Now, if I could only practice what I'm preaching....:confused:

Izoard wrote: »
    EJ...timely post - I think there are a number of people reading it, thinking the same (me for one!).

At the end of the day, this is a hobby, so family and work have to take precedence.

Also, there is an assumption that going long (blame Oryx for that one...:)) is the holy grail, but as someone who is juggling lots of balls, there is a compelling arguement for you to try to go faster, rather than longer.
    6-8 quality hours of training per week, would have you in a solid position for great gains in Olympic distance next year.

Now, if I could only practice what I'm preaching....:confused:

I ain't built for speed:D

I see where your coming from but i am the sort of person who wants to do everything.........once, just to see how it feels.

I've jumped out of planes, driven nascar, done bungee jumps.......why ? because its there to be done ! I do feel i'll get to half IM but it will take a lot of organising and changes for 6 to 8 months to get to it.

But i do want to go back to 3 races i did this yr for PB next yr and they are sprint and half marathons.

I consulted 2 bottles of Merlot last night and had a good think.

So far i've decided to focus on DCM until late afternoon on Oct 31. I'm going to throw myself into the training from now and grab extra sleep where i can to make up. This is something i've wanted to achieve for a long time and having my wife and kids at the end line will make all the tiredness, pain and work worth while.

Last night i also decided to cut down to DJ work 1 night a week for the majority of the time. I'll now only be working 9 to 1 on a saturday which gives me structure and going to bed at 2am is an early night for me:D

Until Christmas my focus will be swimming at lunch/evening and spinning. I will do the half marathon in Waterford but its only a half so the above will keep me ticking over.

I'll sit down then over Christmas with my wife and decide what to do and how much time i can give to training without it getting in the way of the rest of my life.

HAHA i just noticed i wrote "only a half marathon" above, i remember when running 500M was a big deal and now i've reached the the level of saying that................wow

Anyway thanks for the advice and 10km slow run at lunch will set me up for 25k LSR tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

My suggestion would be to get a cheap turbo trainer - theres a lot to be said for being somewhere in the house when needed. Mrs C never loses the rag over the turbo but heading off to the pool or running at weekends or week nights can sometimes be problematic.

They are better for you than the spinning anyways

catweazle wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to get a cheap turbo trainer - theres a lot to be said for being somewhere in the house when needed. Mrs C never loses the rag over the turbo but heading off to the pool or running at weekends or week nights can sometimes be problematic.

They are better for you than the spinning anyways

I'm actually borrowing one from a club member to see how i like them, i can't stand the threadmill but i might find this easier in front of the tv on Champions league nights and now that i bought her a bike as well it woild be used by both of us.

The spinning is with my club on a tuesday night and the banter is great so there is a social part to it as well. Its a good class, a hard class and really helped me move forward and get power in my legs..........Oryx take note:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

+1 on CW's suggestion re turbo. You will be surprised how easy it is to sneak 3/4 hours a week in on the bike and you are not loosing time travelling out to/getting ready for spin classes etc, just hop on in your jocks on the turbo and away you go:).

Balance is what is needed and i would not sacrifice too much time with family over training, as someone mentioned earlier it's a hobby and you will start to resent training if it is taking over quality time with the family etc. Believe me it takes tweaking and your time management needs to be spot on to get the training volume in without feeling like you have been mawled by a bear!!

I would forget about targets or what you are going to do for next year for now. Put all your efforts into DCM and then take a few weeks off after it to reflect on the year and then look forward to 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Oh btw it's always good to consult with a bottle of wine:)

Advertisement