Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I no longer sink

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm getting some bad karma:(

Got up early on sat and eyes were all puffed up and nose running. I couldn't see straight. Had to go back to bed as i had work that night........

No run again this weekend, so i have to push the 20 miler out until wen afternoon and fingers crossed i get over this barrier or DCM ain't gonna happen.

If i can get the kids to bed and all quiet tonight i think i'll do a turbo session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Finger crossed it's nothing too serious and you're well enough to get the run in on Wednesday.

How are you finding the turbo? I've done one session and was bored senseless. Fair enough I had no music, ipod, tv etc.

There's an article in this months Triathlon Europe on "The Diabetic Triathlete". Not sure if it is of any use to you but it's only a page so if you want it scanning and emailing let me know.

Finger crossed it's nothing too serious and you're well enough to get the run in on Wednesday.

How are you finding the turbo? I've done one session and was bored senseless. Fair enough I had no music, ipod, tv etc.

There's an article in this months Triathlon Europe on "The Diabetic Triathlete". Not sure if it is of any use to you but it's only a page so if you want it scanning and emailing let me know.

If you could e mail it that would be great. I'll pop you a PM.

I found the fine when i had the tv on. I watched football and used the clock to work out on my sprints etc.

Without the tv i wouldn't last 10 min !

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you break a turbo session into short sets you won't get bored. You'll be praying for the end of the next 3 minutes :)

Good luck Elvis hope you get the run done.

Oryx wrote: »
    If you break a turbo session into short sets you won't get bored. You'll be praying for the end of the next 3 minutes :)

Good luck Elvis hope you get the run done.

Cheers,

Yeah i use 2, 3 and 4 minute sets with cool down in between. 1 hour will pass in no time !

• Advertisement

Today i shall run 20 miles, that is all.

Yesterday I DID NOT run 20 miles.

Run was going well and at 15 miles i suddenly felt dizzy and weak so had to stop and be collected. When i got back home still felt bad and had a drink.

30 mins later i got sick twice and took another 2 hrs to get any feeling back in my body. It was only then i could eat.

I honestly don't know what to do from here.

17 miles is the longest run i've done and that actually was easy.

Something went badly wrong yesterday and i think it was my food intake. Porridge at 7 am, yogurt at 11 and 2 peanut butter and jam sambo on brown bread at 1.

I had lots of fluids in my system and took on water from about 9 miles into my run. I never take water before that so its normal for me.

Doctor has advised me not to use gels with my excess fat and diabetes i don't need them and he is a runner so i'm taking his advice. But i think i'll need something at about 13 miles on the day to avoid a repeat of yesterday.

My pace was fine and the legs were good.

I guess i'll do 13 on sunday and taper from there. Any idea of a time is gone out the window and its just about finishing now to be honest.

I'm doing this firstly for myself, because i want to. But also for a charity and i don't want to let them down.

Was that food all stuff you would normally eat? Sorry to hear it went badly the main thing now is not to let it psyche you out on the day.

Was that food all stuff you would normally eat? Sorry to hear it went badly the main thing now is not to let it psyche you out on the day.

Yep i don't change my food around LSR's, porridge with sultanas and peanut butter and jam sambo !

BUT i would normally have them close to my run ( morning up early breakfast and sambo before i go out ), i didn't run until 3 yesterday afternoon so there was a large portion of the day gone and fuel used up before i hit the road.

My plan now is just to run slower on the day, conserve energy and get to the end line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You will get through it fine - plenty of people will finish that race having done less mileage than you. Maybe it was lack of food - any LSR I have done has been one hour after a decent sized breakfast. I know Nomadic who is a flyer had a few dizzy spells in his lunchtime runs so he upped the food intake before he headed out

Don't put any pressure on yourself with time goals or pace, walk when you need to and look at it as a learning experience for next summers races.

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    You will get through it fine - plenty of people will finish that race having done less mileage than you. Maybe it was lack of food - any LSR I have done has been one hour after a decent sized breakfast. I know Nomadic who is a flyer had a few dizzy spells in his lunchtime runs so he upped the food intake before he headed out

Don't put any pressure on yourself with time goals or pace, walk when you need to and look at it as a learning experience for next summers races.

Thanks some good advice there. I think i made a mistake by treating a mid afternoon LSR the same as an early morning LSR !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Doctor has advised me not to use gels with my excess fat and diabetes i don't need them and he is a runner so i'm taking his advice.

Does the same rule apply to sports drinks, that kind of thing?

RayCun wrote: »
    Does the same rule apply to sports drinks, that kind of thing?

No he said they are fine, didn't have time to go into it in a major way but he said he'd looked at them for his own use ( as a running diabetic ) and said they were fine on longer runs.

As you know they are isotonic as well as having sugar whcih maybe the reason BUT he did say don't go mad on them.

You could pick up a bottle instead of water at 9,12, and 18 miles?

You could pick up a bottle instead of water at 9,12, and 18 miles?

Indeed i think thats a great idea.

I hope to sip as i go from 9 onwards.

I know it was a once off yesterday as i have good energy in my legs and body today and if need i could do a good paced 10k.

I'll do a short run on Saturday afternoon and 10 to 12 miles on sunday at a nice slow pace.

And so my personal hell continues...........i now have a chest infection and head cold.

Can't do anything at the moment, on tablets and hoping it clears:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just little testers to see how many times you get back up :D

Any excuse to show the following video

Steroids and antibiotics !

Should be able to get back on the road on Sunday and get a final week of gentle taper in the legs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Fair play to you for continuing on. It would have been easy to say that after everything has happened that you are going to postpone your marathon attempt but despite it all your still going.

I think tubthumping should be your theme song. :)

• Advertisement

I have a lot of theme songs.

Eminem - Til i collapse would be the main one !

Tablets are kicking in, spiking my bloods but doing the job. I hope to do 8 to 10 miles on Sunday !

If i have to do a mixture of run, walk and crawl i'm getting to the finish line.

Well the drugs are all gone through my system and i got out on the road at lunch.

12.5 KM at a good pace ( 45 sec per km faster than race pace ) and body felt good. Chest held up and i had lots left in the legs afterwards.

I tried a no sleeve base layer that i might use on the day and it worked like a dream keeping sweat away from my t shirt and no bloodt nipples:D

I'll get out and do 6km on Thursday. Diet is good but need to get more sleep this week.

DCM is on, no time..............but I WILL FINISH.

I tried a no sleeve base layer that i might use on the day and it worked like a dream keeping sweat away from my t shirt and no bloodt nipples:D

Good to see you back out running - but remember, 'no bloody nipples after 12k' doesn't mean 'no bloody nipples after 42k'.

And no more faster than race pace running!:mad::mad::mad:

Good to see you back out running - but remember, 'no bloody nipples after 12k' doesn't mean 'no bloody nipples after 42k'.

And no more faster than race pace running!:mad::mad::mad:

Good points there RayCun.

base Layers have worked up to 25Km for me in the past but didn't want a long sleeve for the marathon so had to get a new one and try it out for comfort etc and lucky i'm happy with it.

Faster pace was to test the chest, nothing more than that............Thursdays 6Km will be at a snails pace........i promise;)

Nice and gentle 5 or 6 k today to get the blood flowing and stretch the legs. Looking forward to it and it will be done with a smile on my face. Its so weird running around and seeing posters for the race around the place, suddenly it all feels so real.

Oh and help the kids http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mark_neilons_event/

Start slow. Start slow. Start slow.

Good luck with it and enjoy the buzz.

And did I mention? Start slow!

Start slow. Start slow. Start slow.

Good luck with it and enjoy the buzz.

And did I mention? Start slow!

Cheers,

In my head i've broken it down into 4 x10km and a 2km warm down :D

I intend to do a really slow 1st 10km ( about 4 min slower than projected race pace ) and plod from there. I did one of my LSR that way and it was the one that went the best.

Lovely gentle 6.7k today.

Have to say it was very enjoyable and went well.

I'll keep getting the right food in me, try to get the max sleep possible and well hydrated.

2.4k on Sunday in my race gear if its not raining and then its D day:)

Getting the carbs and fluids into me. gentle 2.4k later on today and an early night. I'm out the door before 7 i nthe morning.

• Advertisement

Woo. Getting real now :)

Advertisement