Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I no longer sink

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

eh.... bump? :)

Cmon. Tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Well I got to the end in 1 piece ( kind of ) . I was on target for sub 5 up to 34k but had to drop back to ensure I finished. Time was 5:19:20 and I'm happy with that after finding out about the diabetes and how it held me back in training.

I'll do a full report later on, slight lower leg injury but feel great. It was an amazing experience and the next chapter begins on Thursday !!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thanks for that. I'm like a Jewish Ma, I worry about ya, son. :)

So my Dublin marathon.

I got my pasta into my thursday night, lots of fluids and my evening was topped off when Gerry Duffy ( a man i admire and has come from the same weight as me ) posted on my Facebook page wishing me good luck:cool:

I was up early at 6:30 to get a big bowl of porridge into me and some fluids. Off i went to get the train up ( my wife and kids followed ).

I got some more fluids into me on the train and listened to a playlist i put together to get me in the mood shall we say.

When i reached Heuston i had to get the Luas to the city centre and it was full of fellow runners.

i made a quick trip to Starbucks on Dawson St to change my clothes and get covered in vaseline in all the vital places.

I reached the baggage area at about 9:20 and dropped off my bag, i had a crappy sweatshirt i wore until the start of the race.

So come 10am and we were off i took it very slow and for the 1st 10k was right on pace for a sub 5 he. The 5hr pacer were about 200m in front of me but only homed in on it after 5 mile and said i'd like to keep them in my sight for as long as i could.

One thing that brought a smile to me face was a guy dressed like Bender from Futurama running along shouting "bite my shiny metal ass !!"

As we left the park we came to the 1st energy drink station and i took it on board with some water as i find energy drink by itself is hard to digest.
    anyway got about half a bottle into me and set off up the 1st hill into Inchicore which was the 1st test of the day but i took it slow and off we went towards SCR where a gang ( i believe some are members here ) had music pumping and were having great fun with the crowd.

Pushing it up the hill on the Crumlin Rd i heard a voice behind me talking about 5 hr pacers and it was the mighty Ger from boards who was a 5hr pacer but got delayed for eh "a toilet break" related to the spar energy drink:D

I introduced myself and tucked in beside him had a chat as we ran. We got to the half way point and i hit it at 2:30 which was a perfect split for sub 5hr.

Round by Walkingstown and i grabbed a few pieces of choc and sweets from the kind supporters on the road who really lifted the spirits as we ran.

Down by Bushy Park we went still on for sub 5 and i had 27km which was the longest i had ever ran so from now on i was in a whole new world.

Into Terenure and what an atmosphere with a band playing, a big crowd and Marty Morrisy there for RTE !!

Through the village and Ger grabbed a whistle to use as we ran and we passed Ken Doherty and gave him an auld wave !!!

Ger kept pushing us and i still felt fine as we passed the 30K mark and up the hill at Milltown. I just about got up the hill and down it taking on board some energy drink and water.

Heading towards Clonseagh and the legs begun to tire. I dropped off the 5hr pace and made the decision that finishing was my goal and not a specific time.

I go up the hills and finally over heartbreak hill at which point i felt good again and then down fosters ave at which point i think my trouble really begun.

I developed some pain in my lower left leg ( at the front of the ankle joint ) and had to walk a bit just before the UCd flyover at which point it begun to pour out of the heavens. I stopped at the top of the flyover to stretch out my legs but the pain was still there.

From then on it was struggle and it was run 800m walk 200m for the next 6k in the rain and the extreme cold by the end i couldn't feel my hands. It got to the point where walking was as sore as running so i ran the final 1.5k at a slow pace down past kennedys pub ( looking at finishes having a pint ), round by Pearse st and finally round by Trinity and up Nassau St where i saw my wife and kids which really made me smile and feel proud.

Another 500m and i was over the line in 5:19:20 and felt as good as the winner on the day. I got my medal, my small t shirt:rolleyes: and then collected my bag.

It was at this point i had to face the fact that i couldn't walk back to meet my wife and get to the car:D Lucky for me she walked up and i sat down for 5 min and then struggled to the car and changed into some dry clothes some feeling in my hands.

Overall it was very enjoyable and something i've wanted to do for years. I'm left with a lower leg injury that will pass in a few days and a feeling that i'vr achieved something.

So whats next ?

My next aim is a Half Iron Man in july 2012 and then the Longford marathon in August.

But before that i'll have a few half marathons to get under 2hrs and would love to do a some 50 min 10k at some point.

I have the achievement bug and winter training starts on thursday night with a gentle recovery swim with my tri club.

Thanks so much to all the guys who have posted on my log along the way an have helped me get this far.

I think its time for a new chapter and a new log for my half iron trip. so watch this space and i'll start my new log in the coming days.

Once again thanks so much to everyone !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Well done!

Really pleased for you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

That's great stuff, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Well done! Great achievement elvis. Onwards and upwards from here!

Thanks all,

Slight case of DOMS in the last 2 days and iceing the lower leg and all seems fine now.

Meant to swim tonight but i think i'll spent a night in my the wife and have a glass of red.

Going to start my new log later today i think. New focus, new goals and a new mission begins.

Advertisement