Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piping cream - stupid question?

Options
  • 15-04-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

So, probably a stupid question but my new favourite thing to make is profiteroles (really easy recipe - will post up if anyone wants it) but when I try to pipe the cream inside them the cream always comes out the seams of the icing bag (I have ruined 3 icing bags at this stage!) So my question is - does anyone know where to get a seam-less icing bag or if theres any alternative? What do pastry chefs do?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

dunno what chefs do, but I get a ziploc plastic sandwich bag and cut one corner off it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Usually in kitchens you get a packet of plastic piping bags .What you do is you put the metal piece in and cut around it ,leaving room for movement ,the end of the bag this is. Or sometimes theres cloth ones ,which work just as well .What kind of one are you using ? and yes this is what pastry chefs do
    Are you overfilling the bag ,so it comes out the top? half fill the bag and you can refill it as you go .

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

dunno what chefs do, but I get a ziploc plastic sandwich bag and cut one corner off it.

Thats a genius idea! Why didnt I think of that!

Yeah I had been using cloth bags with a sort of plastic lining - the bog standard you buy in tesco etc. I have the metal parts so next time i shall attempt with a plastic bag - I'm sure I will still end up making a huge mess, as what usually happens!

To be fair I have never bought one ,just used what ever one was in the kitchen .You would be better off going into a culinary store cookery place or wholesalers and buying a decent cloth one.Will last you ages.You can get metal or plastic nozzles . I still think you are overfilling it ,which is why its bursting.The ziploc bag is a good idea but not for long useage .

And dont ever put yourself down saying stupid question.no question is stupid if you dont know the answer .And we all had to learn same as yourself.

• Advertisement

eternal wrote: »
    And dont ever put yourself down saying stupid question.no question is stupid if you dont know the answer .And we all had to learn same as yourself.

Haha! You're so right! Thanks :)
    And thanks to everyone else for their insights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

Would it be possible to get the reciepe off you please :) thank you

Robin132 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to get the reciepe off you please :) thank you

Of course!

Pre-heat oven to 220C
    Serves: 4-6 ppl

Profiteroles:
    60g plain flour
    50g butter
    2 eggs

Filling and topping:
    400ml cream
    200g chocolate
    25g butter
    2 tbsp golden syrup

- Put butter and 150ml water into pot and heat until melted - then bring to boil
    - Remove from heat and tip in the flour
    - Beat quickly with a wooden spoon until mixture is smooth and forms a ball in the centre
    - Cool for 10 minutes
    - Gradually add beaten eggs mixing well after each addition

- Pipe walnut sized rounds using pipe onto greaseproof paper on baking tray (although I just spoon the mixture on)
    - bake for 20min until risen golden and crisp
    -Remove from oven and make a small slit in each bun and then return to oven for 2min
    - Cool completely on wire rack
    (I usually find that if the buns arent peeling off the paper easily then they could do with another 2mins in the oven, otherwise they can be slightly underdone and taste a little eggy)

For Sauce:
    Melt chocolate, butter, syrup and 100ml of cream for the choc sauce

And of course whip the remaining 300ml of cream and pipe inside each bun!

delicious!

Also, the recipe says that unfilled buns can be frozen for upto 3months! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've had the same problem with icing leaking out the seams of pastry bags. They weren't overfilled, I think they were just bad quality bags. Try getting a good quality cloth one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lovelymama

If you use the plastic bag, does the cream melt with the warmth of your hands? Should I use more smaller bags and fill more often or do you just get the entire batch done but quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I pipe by squeezing the bag behind the mix, not squeezing the mix (do you squeeze toothpaste from the middle or the end...) so the warmth of my hands shouldn't be a problem. Fill bag. Twist plastic shut on diagonal behind filling. THEN cut corner off.

Ziploc plastic bags are heavy plastic - I use the eight inch by eight inch giant bags for piping cream or whatever. Cut the corner off too small rather than too big.

It's a single use item in fairness - fill with cream so you can still close the plastic behind the cream and squeeze down. You can refill with a couple of spoons, but wouldn't be rinsing it for more use tomorrow - in the bin when done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lovelymama

Ok cool - thanks. I'll give that a go then. Seems to be an ideal dessert for Easter weekend.

Advertisement