Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about moving out (questions)

Options
  • 15-04-2011 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,
    I'm planning on going back to College in September while keeping my job.
    On average I'm coming out with a weekly wage of 300-330 euro & I've been looking up studio apartments that have a weekly rent in the region of 150-180 euro.
    My question is would I be able to survive on my 300/330 a week wage?
    Monthly expenses would be:
    Rent, Electric, Gas, Rubbish, Water charges, TV licence, broadband (maybe), phone (would be a small bill as I'd be sticking to my mobile) & of course Food. If I left out any please mention them below

What, in your opinion, would I be looking at in each of those categories in monthly bills?
    Travel costs would be low as I'd be living within walking distance of work while commuting to college wouldn't be that expensive as it's only 2-3 nights a week.

I appreciate all help & input.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In a word, no. Your rent should be no more than 30% of your disposable income. You prob wouldn't have enough to cover what you listed not to mind any contingency for unforeseen emergencies, medical bills, prescriptions, insurance for your contents...and what about college fees? Part time study is incredibly expensive.

Do you absolutely have to move out? You would be better off staying at home and saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Yeah if you were to move out, you would REALLY be scraping the barrel. It would leave you c.€600 a month for living expenses, including Electric, Gas, Rubbish, Water charges, TV licence, broadband and phone.
    Electric and gas together, even not being liberal with them will probably cost you around €50per month, most likely more.
    Tv licence c. €15 a month.
    Rubbish depends on you, in a lot of studios it will be included, if not thats c €20 a month for tags etc.
    Phone say €20 a month minimum for most people and broadband probably the same? Another €40.
    Food depends on yourself but its easy to let those costs add up if your not very very careful-its probably the easiset way to burn money after drinking. Lets say €50 a week. That leaves you with €400 to live on a month, so €100 spare a week. That €100 would have to be put in reserves because in all liklihood those bills/expenses will be more than Ive listed and its not taking into account all th elittle hidden things that pop up when you live alone. Toiletries/cleaning stuff/washing powder... fecking expensive!!

If any emergency comes up, your screwed. You wont have a social life because you'll be too busy scrimping pennies. If at all possible, stay at home, save and then think about moving out when you can actually afford it. I rarely say this because Im a big advocate of living independently, but sometimes you have to lump it. Its better than living beyond your means and having to sacrifice your studies because your too broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

What about a house share?? That wouldn't cost as much in rent and would also mean shared bills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Where would you pay €158/180 for a studio? One bed flats can be got for that. Studios are down around €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 AdamPower

Yeah I've been browsing the web, I've found some nice spots (small but nice) for about 110 a week.
    My biggest concern is Gas & electricity as I've no idea how to even estimate how much it would amount too.

How much you would you estimate a one bedroom studio apartment would work out in electricity and gas every month? Obviously some months would be tougher than others.

Some things I should of mentioned in the OP, all the spots I'm looking at are in ideal locations for me, right by work & my parents house (dinner + transport covered ;))

I have big savings for college (first 3 years of fees covered). A holiday trip has been cancelled this summer too meaning I could take a years broadband & the TV licence out of that.

Also rubbish would be under 10 euro a week (one refuse bag & one recycling).

MONTHLY INCOME: 1200-1300
    MONTHLY RENT: 400 - 500
    MONTHLY RUBBISH: 40 (possibly less)
    MONTHLY FOOD: 200
    MONTHLY GAS & ELECTRICITY: ???

I appreciate all help given, thank you to those above you've put a lot into perspective for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AdamPower wrote: »
    I'm planning on going back to College in September while keeping my job.
    Which college? UCD, DCU, or Trinity, and in what location do you work? No point in getting a cheap place north Dublin if you work South Dublin, and goto college in South Dublin.

Also, I see you are going for the high-end bedsits. May I ask why? If you want to save money, why not consider a house share with professionals you age which is located near your college, or maybe midway between the college and your job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 AdamPower

the_syco wrote: »
    Which college? UCD, DCU, or Trinity, and in what location do you work? No point in getting a cheap place north Dublin if you work South Dublin, and goto college in South Dublin.

Also, I see you are going for the high-end bedsits. May I ask why? If you want to save money, why not consider a house share with professionals you age which is located near your college, or maybe midway between the college and your job?

DIT
    Nightcourse, you do 2 nights a week, transport = dart fare, my accommodation would be within walking distance of work & the dart :)

Advertisement