Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions to ask installer

Options
  • 15-04-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello,
    Can you let me know what questions I should ask an installer coming to price upgrading a system to one which dialls mobile numbers if activated?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I'll start the ball rolling,
    Are you licensed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

What system suits what I want.
    What system is he installing.
    What components do I need added on.
    What extras can be added on at a later date.
    Is there a warranty.
    What happens if there is any false alarms (if using the sensors that are already installed).
    Most important question. How much does it cost, always get a quote in writing plus a spec of what he is quoting you for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Very important. Compare like with like. For example, I always do the openings as well as shocks on all accessible windows, eircom only put shocks on windows.
    I always install a live working bell, some companies quote for an alarm with a dummy box out front and charge c€300 for a real one.
    Make sure you get a system that's not near the end of its life, etc. HKC securewatch. Not to be confused with their latest panel the securewave.

If you're being sold a service contract make sure the contract covers all call outs through out the year otherwise you're better off without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

If you're being sold a service contract make sure the contract covers all call outs through out the year otherwise you're better off without it.

This type of contract will be more expensive that the standard 1 or 2 visits per year.

I give customers 3 choices of maintenance and monitoring deal
    A) 1 or 2 two call outs per year plus a remote inspection, this depends on the grade of system installed
    B) unlimited call outs
    C) Fully comp which includes unlimited call outs and covers all parts

A is the most popular but people do choose the other 2

OP, you should not need a service contract if you can get the company to cover call outs as your getting a new control panel installed. Make sure you ask this of any company that quotes for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

altor wrote: »
    OP, you should not need a service contract if you can get the company to cover call outs as your getting a new control panel installed. Make sure you ask this of any company that quotes for the job.

Yes, but people with contracts get priority over those who don't.

Yes, but people with contracts get priority over those who don't.

So if you upgrade or install a new alarm you sell them a service contract :confused:

Advertisement