Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what was crapper ,jaguar v cd32 v 3do

• 15-04-2011 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

which of these consoles was the crapiest

Atari Jaguar
    Commodore CD32
    Panasonic 3DO

Which was crapper, Jaguar, CD32 or 3DO? 5 votes

Atari Jaguar
    0%
    Amiga CD32
    100%
    CiDeRmAnHerculeSteve X2appleidogRelikk 5 votes
    3DO
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

None of the above, they were just misunderstood:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Amiga CD32
    The Jaguar sucked like nothing else has sucked before. Only saving grace is Tempest 2000.

The CD32 is actually not a bad machine, once you accept the caveat that you will not be playing next gen games on it but rather its a great way of playing cd based Amiga games, no more disk swapping, tons of games on one cd. Perfect!

The 3DO is another nice machine. It doesn't have a massive game library so its easy to collect for. EA supported it really well so you have stellar titles like Road Rash and Need For Speed as well as solid titles like Wing Commander 3, Theme Park and Magic Carpet on the device.
    There were also great conversions of Super Street Fighter 2 X and Samurai Shodown 2 as ill as Star Control 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

NOW NOW NOW...I will not have a bad word said about the JAG. It is a machine that well as stated above is misunderstood. I remember looking in the window of Harry Moores, in the Square and wanting one. Sitting down for hours playing Iron Solider.
    I think I am going to start a group, Leave our Jags alone.......:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Amiga CD32
    Sorry to have upset you there, sorry that you can't face the truth of the foulness of the Jag!

Honestly, what has it got?
    I have one and a bunch of games and aside from Tempest 2000 nothing on it is any good.
    Aliens Vs Predator is awful, I remember it being hailed as some sort of amazing game, back in the day, but in reality it is a dreadful Doom clone.
    As for the rest, Cybermorph is terrible, Raiden is great but there are plenty of other places to play it, and play it better, my copy of The Raiden Project for example.
    Club Drive?
    Chequered Flag?
    Terrible!

Lost Vikings? I can get that on other systems, systems that don't suck!

Now, I don't mind that you are a fan of the console, that's great and I'm happy for you, I just won't be asking you to contribute to a top ten games any time in the near future! ;)

What the Jag had mostly c*** games.........:eek:
    The question was asked was "what was crapper". Not asking about the games......:p and dont say a console is based on its games.....:rolleyes:

By the way thanks for not asking me to add to the top 10 games list, as at the moment all I am collecting mostly is the hardware, and only a few games. I have been playing games for the last 35 years...PONG anyone ?????

So I do know a bit about gaming.....;)

I shall however bow to your knowledge on the gaming side.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Amiga CD32
    Well I had 2 Jags at one stage and didn't like either of them really, certainly not the games :D

I traded one to o1s1n a while ago as I'm trying to get rid of some of my doubles and triples as its getting a bit out of hand.

I am still on the look out for the toilet seat addon for the jag though, anyone have it??

Amiga CD32
    Also, I'd put the 3DO as the best of the three, followed by the CD32 and the Jag doesn't get a look in.

Anyone who knows me wont be surprised with the 3DO coming out on top. You cant get enough 3DO goodness if you ask me :p

I must agree with you on that, love the 3DO...One great machine. Some brill games.
    Maybe its just me. I seem to go for the underdog. I drive a Rover 75 ( great car, just everyone bad mouths them. ), Also support Everton, So what can I say.....:p

Amiga CD32
    I must agree with you on that, love the 3DO...One great machine. Some brill games.
    Maybe its just me. I seem to go for the underdog. I drive a Rover 75 ( great car, just everyone bad mouths them. ), Also support Everton, So what can I say.....:p

Well I had a CD32 when it came out and then a 3DO. Not sure I was supporting the underdog but every console I seemed to get as a kid failed badly after a couple of years. :confused:

OK ...I was more talking about the JAG than the 3DO......:)

• Advertisement

Amiga CD32
    OK ...I was more talking about the JAG than the 3DO......:)

Ah yeah, I know you were. Was just saying I seem to support the console failures ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Wasn't it possbile in some way to connect a keyboard and floppy drive to a CD32 and it functioned as an A1200? It always seemed like Commodore weren't quite sure what it was for.

Amiga CD32
    What the Jag had mostly c*** games.........:eek:
    The question was asked was "what was crapper". Not asking about the games......:p and dont say a console is based on its games.....:rolleyes:

By the way thanks for not asking me to add to the top 10 games list, as at the moment all I am collecting mostly is the hardware, and only a few games. I have been playing games for the last 35 years...PONG anyone ?????

So I do know a bit about gaming.....;)

I shall however bow to your knowledge on the gaming side.:cool:

Well,
    A consoles usefulness, its ability to less "crap" then the next is entirely wrapped up in the games that are available for it.

Some machines are great for just one game, Jag has Tempest 2000, some are great for all the brilliance they have on them, despite a loathing for the parent company or the ugliness of the machine, like the PS2 and so on.

The Jag, of the three is the one that has the least going for it, the CD32 has a wealth of Amiga games available, the 3DO has a large library of EA titles and others.

I wouldn't get too hung up on being a hardware lover, it really is all about the games, a VHS or Betamax video player, a BluRay or HD-DVD player are all great hardware but little more than glorified paperweights without the appropriate media.

I have over 50 different consoles in my collection and games for everyone of them because, as above, without the games they are utterly worthless.

As for knowledge of gaming, we all come here to pool our wisdom and encourage healthy debate.

Except for retr0, he's a renegade law unto himself, swoops into any discussion, hits fast with erroneous and ill informed opinion then suddenly, like a fart in a convertible, he's gone, leaving only a faint trace that he was ever there at all.....

I also believe you'll find that most of us, at some point or another has played Pong.

But Hey! Thanks for taking part! ;)

Steve SI wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I know you were. Was just saying I seem to support the console failures ;)

True but this shows you do not follow the crowd like a sheep, and have enjoyed a life richer ( some may say ) than others. ;)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well,
    A consoles usefulness, its ability to less "crap" then the next is entirely wrapped up in the games that are available for it.

I have over 50 different consoles in my collection and games for everyone of them because, as above, without the games they are utterly worthless.

True True. but what use are the games without the console ???? :rolleyes:

I also believe you'll find that most of us, at some point or another has played Pong. .

When it fist came out on the home machines ???? :)

Enough roared the GOD of Gaming..........

We shall agree to diagree...:D

Amiga CD32
    Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Wasn't it possbile in some way to connect a keyboard and floppy drive to a CD32 and it functioned as an A1200? It always seemed like Commodore weren't quite sure what it was for.

Yeah with the SX1 or SX32. I have both of these but didn't have them years ago as I was a poor jobless kid.

They are actually very nice, you can install hard drives or CF cards in them with the correct adapter. If you have the CD32 FMV card then it was a tight fit I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find that no matter how bad the console is there's always at the very least 1 game on it that makes it worth owning. Don't think there was any console that hadn't at least one game on it worth playing. Even the Nuon has Tempest 3000 :)
    Except for retr0, he's a renegade law unto himself, swoops into any discussion, hits fast with erroneous and ill informed opinion then suddenly, like a fart in a convertible, he's gone, leaving only a faint trace that he was ever there at all.....

Sniff :'(

Amiga CD32
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sniff :'(

You know we all love you Retr0.
    I'm a little disappointed it needed to be said, but then, sometimes we all need a hug...

Of course, we're all blokes, with manliness a prerequisite, so a firm handshake will have to do.
    Perhaps a pat on the shoulder before walking away, all the time thinking of "relations" with de wimmins, naturally...

Amiga CD32
    True True. but what use are the games without the console ???? :rolleyes:

Erm, well they usually just get released by the publisher onto alternate hardware, I'm most of us here would have been happy if they stopped making Sonic games after the Megadrive was discontinued, instead of periodically reanimating its rotting corpse and getting it to trot around again, with weaker returns each time, Shadow the Hedgehog anyone??

When it fist came out on the home machines ???? :)

Yes actually, I did, I was 4 or 5 but I did and remember.
    I have one of them in my collection as it stands, an Ingersoll one.

Enough roared the GOD of Gaming..........

Why, is Retr0 here?
    We shall agree to diagree...:D

Erm, well they usually just get released by the publisher onto alternate hardware, I'm most of us here would have been happy if they stopped making Sonic games after the Megadrive was discontinued, instead of periodically reanimating its rotting corpse and getting it to trot around again, with weaker returns each time, Shadow the Hedgehog anyone??

Now Now you knew I was talking about having the games for a console, say the 3DO and not having the console.....

Yes actually, I did, I was 4 or 5 but I did and remember.
    I have one of them in my collection as it stands, an Ingersoll one.

Fair play....I have a Grandstand one in mine. By the way is it the XK 410c you have.....

PEACE...........

• Advertisement

Amiga CD32
    Now Now you knew I was talking about having the games for a console, say the 3DO and not having the console.....

Yes, of course.
    One is no good without the other, hence why I collect hardware AND games.
    And don't slag the 3DO, I spent a fortune on that machine back in the day.

Fair play....I have a Grandstand one in mine. By the way is it the XK 410c you have.....

No, its not that one, its the 600b, complete with gun.
    I hope to get an Atari/Sears Pong console one of these days, perhaps for my 40th next year, you never know!
    PEACE...........

Indeed...

Amiga CD32
    Yes, of course.

I'm still spending a fortune on them :(

Yes, of course.

I to bought the 3DO when it came out...I to felt your pain......I would not dare slag the 3DO as It is a great machine.......;)

Amiga CD32
    Stop talking about the 3DO.
    I'm in work and have a powerful need to play it, but can't.

(Please not that the last sentence should be spoken in the voice of Mal Reynolds from Firefly.)

Amiga CD32
    Was just looking at Firefly/Serenity stuff earlier on, after seeing the awesome tee on Teefury today,
    1300734545_BOTTOM__032112h03m17.jpg

And I was a real 3DO freak, got the console at launch, was heading over to my then new girlfriends house to pick her up, had to ask the folks could I plug into their tv for a few minutes and was playing Burning Soldier for the next 20!
    I also traded it in, in Gamesworld, to get a US version, full screen don't you know!
    Return Fire was/is the cats pj's, still love Need For Speed and Road Rash, Star Control and have a special place in my heart for Starblade, that game is gorgeous, all the better on the LCD, very arcade like, feels like I'm back in Dr. Quirkies circa. 1993!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I also traded it in, in Gamesworld, to get a US version, full screen don't you know!

And you give out to me for my RGB OCD-ness :P

Amiga CD32
    What can I say, I was a mere 22 when I bought it, around your age there kid, I got more sense as I had less money!
    Aside from the Nuon I have not spent a huge amount on retro gaming in the last couple of years.
    I buy the new gen consoles at launch only if they interest not "just because" as I used to do, so the PS3 waited 6 months before I bit the bullet, think it was another 6 before there was anything to play!
    The next big one will be the WiiHD probably, no way I'm spending big money on a Sony handheld again, a 300 dollar paperweight, no thanks!

Lol try closer to 28 not 22 :)

As for the PSP, think it's really come into it's own this year and finally made the purchase worth it. It took it's time though.

Amiga CD32
    No, I was 22, maybe 23, back from training in Sligo, I bought a Megadrive, again and played it til the 3DO came out which I bought at launch, brilliant stuff!
    While others were talking about Top Gear on the Snes I was playing Need For Speed, in Dolby Prologic! Good Times!

• Advertisement

Amiga CD32
    While others were talking about Top Gear on the Snes I was playing Need For Speed, in Dolby Prologic! Good Times!

Snap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

CD32 was weakest,but yet a success,maybe by fluke of infancicy of the pc cdrom market at time,give C= credit they did some clever marketing as shown in links-

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/chrisevans.jpg

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Daily/2010/04-Apr/7/Gaming%20slogans/AmigaBillboard--article_image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Amiga CD32
    The Jaguar was the worst, The only decent games were Avp,Rayman and tempest, and plus cause Atari made it :D

The best would be 3DO, Best port of SSF2X, untill Dreamcast, also had samurai shodown.

Amiga CD32
    There may have been a near total lack of original software for the cd32 but I can run a massive amount of Amiga software on mine with nothing extra aside from a mouse.
    I still put the Jag, with only 1 game worth playing, at the bottom of the heap.

Amiga CD32
    I mean for the price of a Jaguar you could of bought a Neo-geo, and it would of been a more sound investment with better games,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Amiga CD32
    how could you miss the opportunity for a poll where the atari jaguar was a legitimate option for once

• Advertisement

Amiga CD32
    The OP is new, can't think of everything!

Fixed! The Poll is now in effect!

Amiga CD32
    I feel bad but I had to pick the Jag.

appleidog wrote: »
    The Jaguar was the worst, The only decent games were Avp,Rayman and tempest, and plus cause Atari made it :D

And AVP wasn't even any good to begin with.

Amiga CD32
    I got inspired by the poll here so created my own. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056244272

Amiga CD32
    Good for you, well done, poll-tastic!

• Advertisement

Amiga CD32
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And AVP wasn't even any good to begin with.
    Well, it was better then the new one :D, and you have to love the , do the maths advertisment then compare N64 with this 64bit imposter,

I mean even SNK were bold by putting 24BIT on there console but those graphics blew the sh*t out of the competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Nice comparison on what the CD32/Jaguar could offer in game power wise-

Advertisement