Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solos that really let the song down

Options
  • 15-04-2011 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭

Was listening to some Jane's Addiction and Metallica earlier and was struck by how excellent their solos continually are.
    Then 'Wind of Change' by the Scorpions came on the oul MP3 player (don't laugh - it's a decent song, and it meant a lot to Eastern Europe - you couldn't go anywhere there for about a year and a half without hearing it everywhere, in English, German or Russian).
    Anyhow, as I said, decent song of its era. Nice sentiment. Well produced. Well performed. Then it comes to the solo and pfffffffffffffft.
    Complete bag of balls. Goes down and then nowhere. Slow as ****. Adds nothing to the song. Instead of bringing it to a new high, it completely deflates it.
    Got me wondering, what other decent rock songs are completely let down by a duff solo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Have to say,It might be blasphemy but I'm not big on the solo's in Chinatown.

It's great all the same.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

Really, I kinda liked the Chinatown solos - although Gorham's solos tend to have the same licks over and over and over in them.

As for solos that ruined songs:
    1. (I may get flamed for this one - sorry, but the song kinda grew on me once I realised it was copying Werewolves of London, not Sweet Home Alabama) Kid Rock - All Summer Long had a load of pointless widdle that didn't fit with the song at all.

2. Beatles - All You Need Is Love. Awful solo, cut short too, or so it sounds so it just doesn't resolve into anything :)

3. Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild

4. Slash's solo in Michael Jackson's 'Black or White'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I don't have a particular dislike for Chinatown its on my mind today cos I've been playing it a bit,The lead riff makes up for it somewhat.I really like We will be strongs lead parts,That doesn't help Chinatown as its the song before it.

Just came across this list http://www.guitarworld.com/article/100_worst_guitar_solos

Haven't heard half of those solos tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

Foo Fighters new song Rope has me feeling this way. I really like the song, and then the solo just screams 'waaaah we're here to rock', which is full of great intentions but the solo just has no focus and just brings the songs worth down a bit. As soon as I hear the solo it's just like 'ok just go through this really quick guys get it over with'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Let it Be, actually I have a love hate thing for that solo, its very basic but it has a classic blues sound which I really enjoy, its very much of its time but sometimes I think that a big epic histronic solo would have suited it better, David Gilmour would have been perfect for it.

The Rover, very sloopy again I kind of like it for being so muddling even though it offends my ears, its like Jimmy Page was half asleep and just said ah fck it this will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I loved the original solo in Whitesnake's Gimme More Time from Slide It In but when they remixed it I thought they destroyed it (the solo not the song).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Roanmore wrote: »
    I loved the original solo in Whitesnake's Gimme More Time from Slide It In but when they remixed it I thought they destroyed it (the solo not the song).

Talking of Whitesnake the solo in the orginal version of Here I Go again was awful - slight improvement on the remake but still not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

greendom wrote: »
    Talking of Whitesnake the solo in the orginal version of Here I Go again was awful - slight improvement on the remake but still not great.

Yeah that's the one solo on 1987 that I didn't really like, and the only one that Sykes didn't play on the album (was Vandenburg)

bradlente wrote: »
    I don't have a particular dislike for Chinatown its on my mind today cos I've been playing it a bit,The lead riff makes up for it somewhat.I really like We will be strongs lead parts,That doesn't help Chinatown as its the song before it.

Just came across this list http://www.guitarworld.com/article/100_worst_guitar_solos

Haven't heard half of those solos tbh

Wow that's an awful list..I'm looking at some of them going "does that song even have a solo in it? :confused:"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Stairway

Kidding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

I used to really hate the Black Hole Sun(Soundgarden) solo. Not so much now but growing up, it sounded like a bag of shíte.

Metallica's Frayed Ends of Sanity, Hammett admittedly didn't put one ounce into the solo and it shows. A mismatch of different licks patchwored together into an uncomfortable moment of cringing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I'm sure some will disagree but I have to say any Slayer/Kerry King solo that I've heard has been a let down. People have told me its meant to sound crazy, but it just sounds like ass to me (to clarify, it sounds like an atonal overly whammied mess)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Since you mentioned Janes Addiction I think the solo to mountain song completely ruins the song

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Since you mentioned Janes Addiction I think the solo to mountain song completely ruins the song

Certainly not their best bit of work, but for me it doesn't ruin the song the way some of the other solos mentioned do.
    After all, you still got the world's best ever bass riff punching along all the way through it to keep you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭philiy

Thin Lizzys "sarah" has a really bad solo for me, I just don't think it fits into the song, I usually skip the song once it gets to that part

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Not really sure if it can be included in here, but the bagpipe "solo" in It's a Long to the Top (if you Wanna Rock and Roll) by AC/DC really ruins the song for me. It's knid of ok the first time it appears in the song, following Angus' riffs, but near the end it kills the song.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The solo in 'We Will Rock You' by Queen is the worst solo I've ever heard, I won't say it let the song down cos it's not that great a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

pretty much every guitar solo ever takes away form awesome songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 iommi1423

I think that the solo in 'enter sandman' is not one kirks best moments ...... jus my opinion folks all his other stuff is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I might get shot for this, but always felt the solo's in this song were just a little too long

• Advertisement

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    I'm sure some will disagree but I have to say any Slayer/Kerry King solo that I've heard has been a let down. People have told me its meant to sound crazy, but it just sounds like ass to me (to clarify, it sounds like an atonal overly whammied mess)

Best ever way i've heard Kerry King solos described as is the "sound of two turkeys fighting" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

i'll agree to chinatown,winds of change and All You Need Is love, they don't seem to hit the right spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

Zombienosh wrote: »
    pretty much every guitar solo ever takes away form awesome songs.
    plus thats a bit harsh mate, often its the solos that make the songs great(eg sweet child o mine,comfortbly numb,hotel california )

Advertisement