Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long would my homemade soup keep in the fridge?

Options
  • 15-04-2011 7:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm making a soup with chicken stock I made today plus carrots, onion, parsnips, broccoli and turnip. I'll be adding a little milk at the end.

I'm going away tomorrow and won't be back until Sunday evening and I don't have freezer space to freeze portions.

How long would this soup keep?

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Milk in soup is lovely! Lots of recipes suggest adding milk or cream at the end. :) Not much, mind. Anyway, too late, I put milk in!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Cream isnt added much cooking for bulk because lot of people nowdays think or are lactose intolarant .And cream would be normally used as opposed to milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

milk and cream are common ingredients in many soups. its not unusual at all.

OP your soup will be grand on sunday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

eternal wrote: »
    Ah Im asking myself why anybody would put milk in soup mixed with chicken stock .Sounds vile . Without the milk ,which Id strongly advise against and I dont know where you got that idea , three days is the usual length of time you can keep soup in a proper fridge. Usually used for the first two days and only really used on the last if desperate . So you can probobly have sunday .Give it a good stir though.

The poster did not ask for criticism of her recipe. Do not do that again. Keep your comments helpful, or do not post at all. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Too late now but for future reference, it is better to put in any milk or cream when you are rehearing the soup - won't sour that way.

Also, only heat up what you want at a time - heating and cooling the soup repeatedly is not a good idea.

If the soup is cooled pretty quickly and refrigerated it should keep easily for 4 days. A good way to cool soup quickly is to put the pot in a sink of cold water, changing the water as it heats.

The bigger the quantity of soup the longer it takes to cool and the greater the risk of spoilage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement