Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CH4, CH4+1, E4 etc not on FTA Sky + HD...

• 15-04-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭

I can't seem to get CHannel 4 or its derivatives on my Sky+ HD box using it as FTA (even though they are listed in the EPG - they state 'upgrade your sub' - I assume this is an Irish licencing issue?).

I have a Sky+ SD box upstairs, which receives all the FTA channels just fine on the English EPG.

Now I know for some reason the HD box doesn't change to the English EPG since som e update to it - but surely I should still receive the FTA channels? Is there a way to get Ch4 etc on the Irish EPG using the box as a FTA receiver, or do I need an SD box? (or another FTA receiver).

I also cannot access 'Other channels' without my Sky card in it - is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I can't seem to get CHannel 4 or its derivatives on my Sky+ HD box using it as FTA (even though they are listed in the EPG - they state 'upgrade your sub' - I assume this is an Irish licencing issue?).

I have a Sky+ SD box upstairs, which receives all the FTA channels just fine on the English EPG.

Now I know for some reason the HD box doesn't change to the English EPG since som e update to it - but surely I should still receive the FTA channels? Is there a way to get Ch4 etc on the Irish EPG using the box as a FTA receiver, or do I need an SD box? (or another FTA receiver).

I also cannot access 'Other channels' without my Sky card in it - is this normal?

Sky did a software upgrade on the box that essentially killed the reverting to UK epg 'trick'.If you can't access other channels without the card in it usually means that you had pin protection activated before you cancelled and didn't disable it.
    With the box stuck on Irish epg you may as well leave the card in as you have to use other channels to view the likes of CH4 and ITV HD etc.

Check the sticky for tuning details of these channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Irish subs cards access an encrypted version of CH4, E4 and More4 meant for the RoI, hence the onscreen messages if the card has expired or is not in the box. As Zerks has said you have to tune them in via other channels. The only way now to restore the UK EPG to a Sky+ HD box if it has previously been used with an Irish subs card is with a UK FTV card.

You can view other channels (FTA ones) without a card in the box but its a PIN code related issue. You need to go to the PIN/Parental menu. Enter PIN (with card in box, and hopefully you know your PIN!). Remove all parental restrictions such as access to adult channels and save these changes. Now press the Blue button. It disables PIN areas (greys out tabs) dealing with other channels etc. You should now be able to view other channels without a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭tech

same problem here, had an old blue sky card in a 2nd sky box in the house, we have a full sub on the main skybox in the house, is there any way to get a 2nd card for free!! just so i can watch the free to air channels

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Thanks guys, PITA without the UK EPG :(

I've removed the parental controls, and added C4 etc via other channels (pity it doesn't work through the EPG for some reason?)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bootser

Prob a stupid question but,
    I have a sky+ box and im currently waitin on a new sky HD box WITHOUT a HD sub. Am i going to be able to get free HD channels??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

bootser wrote: »
    Prob a stupid question but,
    I have a sky+ box and im currently waitin on a new sky HD box WITHOUT a HD sub. Am i going to be able to get free HD channels??:confused:

Yes. That's why they are free :P

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bootser

Yes. That's why they are free :P

Advertisement