Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview Tech Questions

Options
  • 15-04-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭

Ok Going for an interview on Monday, has any got some good technical questions for throw at me? to prepare me for this?/

The job is for L1, L2 helpdesk work

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Please be a bit more specific about the job so people can answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

job is for supporting sites running sbs servers, server, group policy, firewalls, general pcs, exchange, and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

afaik...few years ago...i've been asked:

port for DNS,smtp,pop3,ad
    fsmo for ad2003
    what is difference in exchange 2003 sp2.
    3 ways to access exchange mail behind the firewall
    backup differences...full,incr,decr,copy,snapshots
    group policy processing order.
    vpn types and encrtyptions

basically...day by day hard & dirty stuff ! :)

and in the end,guess what...got the job "who knew somebody" not "who knew something" ! typical these days !
    i wish you good luck and enjoy HR game !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Not sure how much this helps, I shouldn't be posting at this hour. But the job of the interviewer is to see how much you know. More importantly however when I interview for people, I'm actually judging more on personality and type fit that anything else.

Depending on the job. Job fit is more important than you think, so worry less about your exp + Quals and start thinking about what you think you can offer your employer. Show that your interested and your willing to learn. There's very few jobs where your expected to hit the floor running. Show a commitment to learning and advancing your own career. If I think your not interested enough in YOUR career why on earth should I bother with you?

Its NOT ALL about Quals + Exp, for me its about less work. If I don't have to babysit/mind you, if you can show me that you have initiative then its less work for me

Remember how the interviewer is looking at you. One is HR - Do you fit with the company? One is IT - how much work is this person going to be for me?

Most IT Companies that I work with have very tight IT teams. They work hard and look out for each other. You cant show that on a CV but if I interview you its in my mind. How are you going to fit with my existing team?

I will always need less work, I dont need more. That you fit with a team is more important to me. I can teach anyone how to do IT (within reason) its a much harder thing to teach people how to play fair/behave.

I ramble/Best of luck with your interview. In Dublin by any chance?

hi guys thanks for help , off to Limerick tomorrow morning for a chat!!

• Advertisement

Best of Luck! make you know what the FTSO roles are, people love asking that one

Best of Luck! make you know what the FTSO roles are, people love asking that one

hi,a quick 10 points Q...what is FTSO ? :)

haha thats what I get for typing too quick. FSMO Roles was what I was trying to type. The follow up is usually how many roles do you need for each domain/forest...

What they should ask is "How would you google for..?" and you can probably gain a much better understanding by asking someone what their top three favourite tech websites are and why.

...and...the interview went...how !?

interview was grand, but didnt hear abit back. not pushed really!

• Advertisement

Its a short week plus they could have been interviewing people all week. I wouldnt lose all hope yet :)

Advertisement