Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been a victim of prejudice? (sexism, racism, secterianism)

Options
  • 15-04-2011 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Or even been witness to it
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

If you were me, you'd know how it feels like when you're the only tanned (Asian) person in town and school. It's surprizing to see how many people are so arrogant and narrow minded, but after all, I don't give a hoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

As a catholic growing up in an 89% Protestant town (by last census) I was subjected to sectarianism quite regularly. Even by a few teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

If you were me, you'd know how it feels like when you're the only tanned (Asian) person in town and school. It's surprizing to see how many people are so arrogant and narrow minded, but after all, I don't give a hoot.

HELLO! DO YOU LIKE IRELAND? YOU MUST FIND IT VERY COLD YES?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

<snip>

mod:Grammar nazis not welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Was over in Manchester for New Year's. I was outside the pub chatting to a few randomers in the smking area when some locked Mancunian, who must have heard my accent, got right up in my face, calling me a Mick and a Paddy, and asking if I (solely responsible for Ireland's economic downturn) was happy that his taxes had to go towards bailing out my country. I told him to jog on and walked back inside as I didn't see us coming to any sort of gentlemen's agreement.

Found it amusing more than anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

HELLO! DO YOU LIKE IRELAND? YOU MUST FIND IT VERY COLD YES?

YES, I LOVE IRELAND! And the weather is absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Have you ever started a thread without realising that you couldn't even spell sectarianism ?

it's ulster scots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I have indeed, many times. don't care to elabourate, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I was in work one day and my boss asked if myself and a few work colleagues could work late. I told him I had to go into town and my mates had plans too. He said well if you won't do it there are plenty of Polish lads out there looking for work. WTF??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Rds1989

As a catholic growing up in an 89% Protestant town (by last census) I was subjected to sectarianism quite regularly. Even by a few teachers.

I got secterian abuse working in a farm in east Donegal where im from, i overheard them call me 'the papist'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Rds1989 wrote: »
    I got secterian abuse working in a farm in east Donegal where im from, i overheard them call me 'the papist'

They just know you're a catholic by the look of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Mostly just standard sexism tbh that most girls face at one point or another. I'm a white, blonde, blue-eyed, Canadian female, there's not really much people could use to discriminate against me for other than that, luckily! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

my own last post was way too long

Worked in a factory in Yorkshire.
    A folder went missing and the team leader would say "this place is so Irish"

Too much stock is ordered, oh "that's so Irish"
    Delivery driver messes up the order, yes, that's Irish too.

Irish = **** ups and being disorganized

**** you bitch :mad:

But even on boards.ie posters use this. Self hate isn't good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Teeny bit when working in customer service (but you get that - it's no biggie) - one South African guy bitching about "you Irish". Oh how I longed to make a crack about apartheid :pac: and a guy in Belfast getting sectarian (but like a real brave soul, hanging up).
    Once when I was on holidays in a Spanish resort, some English guy started giving me a bit of grief over being Irish - everyone else (many of whom were also English) told him to stfu though. He seemed like a prick in general anyway, not just anti Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Rds1989

RichieC wrote: »
    They just know you're a catholic by the look of you?
    my names ronan and we live in the same townland where everyone knows everybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Women always treat me as a sex object.

Women always treat me as a sex object.

Problem? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

The worst I've had was probably getting a bottle thrown at me because I was walking hand in hand with another guy - in San Francisco, no less. It missed, luckily. That's about it physically.

Slurs on occasion, but I operate on the sticks and stones mentality. And, of course, people who suddenly got a lot more distant after they found out, but those again, haven't been much of problem.

All and all I've been pretty lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have been told "F-off home you british b@stard" on Paddies Day about 9 or 10 years ago.

Working in a call centre dealing with UK customers I have also been called an 'Irish Pr!ck' and a even more oddly a 'Paki B@stard'. Think it shows how stupid people get when they make an assumption about something.

Other than that, that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Had a few racist comments said to me over the years in Ireland. Bouncers using words in their own language that i know the meaning of and had a guard refer to me as a spic that i overheard. Had stuff sprayed on my car once too. It was in Polish. Other than that nothing regularly happens except for some shít about tacos or minor stereotypes when out drinking. Nothing to start a fight bout though and is mostly jokes.

In the US i've been stopped by police a few times and handcuffed while told to sit on the curb. They tend to target minorities and then the subtle stuff like following you around in a store or people looking like you're about to rob them.

liah wrote: »
    Problem? :confused:

It's sexist.

I want to be respected for who I am as a person & not just used for my body.

It's sexist.

Masculinist! Get back to your.. cave?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

A bit when i worked in the us - i was told "learn to speak English" by an American woman who could barely string a sentence together herself lol :-) and was called a "white b1tch" by a car full of black guys, just cos i ignored them wolf whistling...

Never experienced anything like this personally in Ireland, i have seen many examples of white Irish people being racist towards non-irish or non-white people though unfortunately :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's sexist.

I feel your pain. We should be able to answer the door in our y-fronts if we want to, and not be subject to those looks and whistles....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I remember once, I was in the middle of banging a chick from behind, doggy style. As I was doing this, she was going down on one of her friends while her twin was teabagging me. At the end of the bed, another chick was straddling a strap on, worn by an ex Playboy model.

And I just stopped for a minute and thought, "Is this really all that life had to offer? Meaningless, drug fuelled sexual encounters with incredibly hot women? Am I really that shallow?"

So when we finished and I had showered, I told the girls that I never wanted to be objectified like that again, that I meant more to myself than just a piece of flesh, that I was a real man, with real feelings and emotions. I vowed to become a better person.

Then I paid up & left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I used to have a japanese girlfriend.
    We were walking up o'connell st holding hands when two scumbag girls walked by and one of them muttered something about a "chink",i wasnt going to say anything but the girl i was with started screaming at them that she "was japanese and hated the chinese and would they like it if she called them english?"/ The two of them were somehwhat surprised and sloped off,looking terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I remember once, I was in the middle of banging a chick from behind, doggy style. As I was doing this, she was going down on one of her friends while her twin was teabagging me. At the end of the bed, another chick was straddling a strap on, worn by an ex Playboy model.

And I just stopped for a minute and thought, "Is this really all that life had to offer? Meaningless, drug fuelled sexual encounters with incredibly hot women? Am I really that shallow?"

So when we finished and I had showered, I told the girls that I never wanted to be objectified like that again, that I meant more to myself than just a piece of flesh, that I was a real man, with real feelings and emotions. I vowed to become a better person.

Then I paid up & left.

Hang on, were you doing the tea bagging, or were you being tea bagged?

:eek:

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    Hang on, were you doing the tea bagging, or were you being tea bagged?

:eek:

I can't remember. There were a lot of people and drugs in the room.

And teabags.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure that there was drugs there - my memory is not too good. Not even too sure if there were women there either, but there was definitely teabags & when I finished, I definitely paid & left.

In fact, I have a feeling that I might have actually been in Bewleys.

Advertisement