Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been a victim of prejudice? (sexism, racism, secterianism)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I went to a salon to get a waxing. Supposedly they dont do brazilian landing strips on men. Blatant sexism.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I can't remember. There were a lot of people and drugs in the room.

And teabags.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure that there was drugs there - my memory is not too good. Not even too sure if there were women there either, but there was definitely teabags & when I finished, I definitely paid & left.

In fact, I have a feeling that I might have actually been in Bewleys.

Must have been one hell of a cuppa.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Isle of Man when I was 12. Was called a Paddy cúnt and so forth by a bunch of Scottish men. It was scary at the time. They were big bastards.

Was called a Free State traitor by an ex from the North. She was Catholic and her Father had been interned in the Curragh for being an IRA member.
    Chick had issues. She married a Scottish Protestant, yet had the gall to give me grief for being born in the Republic.

Then there are the countless of incidents where I've been called Paddy, Mick and whatnot by the numerous drunken English idiots working in the local factories.

In saying that, most of the immigrants I've met are friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

A few times working as a doorman in Dublin City Centre I had people call me a "foreign bastard" and a "Polish príck"....

...I'm from Ballyfermot. :p

Another time I was playing Call of Duty online and two English teenagers on my team were yelling all over the place and I kindly asked them to shut the fúck up, that they were distracting me, to which one replied, "I couldn't give a shít, you little twat". I then laughed and asked "does your mother know you're playing big boy games?" to which he replied, "what? I can't understand you - learn to speak English. There's too many foreigners in this country."

Because, you know, the interwebz is in Egnland :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Terry wrote: »
    Isle of Man when I was 12. Was called a Paddy cúnt and so forth by a bunch of Scottish men. It was scary at the time. They were big bastards.

Was called a Free State traitor by an ex from the North. She was Catholic and her Father had been interned in the Curragh for being an IRA member.
    Chick had issues. She married a Scottish Protestant, yet had the gall to give me grief for being born in the Republic.

Then there are the countless of incidents where I've been called Paddy, Mick and whatnot by the numerous drunken English idiots working in the local factories.

Have you ever been called a "Bono Lover" or a "Tax Dodger Bono Apologist"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I was in a town in antrim drinking in a local pub and was told I was in the wrong pub by some sectarian idiots. I didnt even answer them and for some reason they backed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Terry wrote: »

Anytime anyone calls me a Paddy or a Mick I just look all surprised and shout "how did you know thats my name, do I know you".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Degsy wrote: »
    I used to have a japanese girlfriend.

Would she bothered if someone said she was a Jap do you think?

Genuinely asking, just we had a motorbike thread recently over in that forum and some praised Jap bikes and woe, instant offense taken by one poster and then thread got locked

I doubt I'd ever call a person a Jap but I say Jap cars and Jap bikes all the time. I don't know what's acceptable these days

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Have you ever been called a "Bono Lover" or a "Tax Dodger Bono Apologist"?
    Regularly.
    It doesn't really bother me though.

During my teenage years most of my friends were hardcore rockers.
    I've been listening to crap from them for over 20 years.
    As for the tax dodging stuff, it helps when you know the facts.

I used to have a japanese girlfriend.
    We were walking up o'connell st holding hands when two scumbag girls walked by and one of them muttered something about a "chink",i wasnt going to say anything but the girl i was with started screaming at them that she "was japanese and hated the chinese and would they like it if she called them english?"/ The two of them were somehwhat surprised and sloped off,looking terrified.

Theres three racist people in that story in fairness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm surprised someone would find "Jap" offensive - it's just short for Japanese... unless there is more to the word? "Nip" I'd understand a Japanese person not liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Women always treat me as a sex object.

So, whenever you ask them for sex, they object?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm surprised someone would find "Jap" offensive - it's just short for Japanese... unless there is more to the word? "Nip" I'd understand a Japanese person not liking.

American military during WW2 would have used the word Jap as a derogetory term for the Japanese. In the same way the Germans were the Hun or Gerry.

These names would have historically bad connotations.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Theres three racist people in that story in fairness!

Four actually :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I was turned down for a job in a warehouse cos im female, even though I was perfectly qualified and able for it. She told me straight out, then told me if a position came up in packing "where all the girls work" she'd ring me. I was young at the time and let it go, should've kicked up a fuss or sued her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I can't remember. There were a lot of people and drugs in the room.

And teabags.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure that there was drugs there - my memory is not too good. Not even too sure if there were women there either, but there was definitely teabags & when I finished, I definitely paid & left.

In fact, I have a feeling that I might have actually been in Bewleys.

1 man 1 cup.

Dudess wrote: »

Nip is short for "Nippon" which is the japanese word for "The land of the rising sun"..never really used as a derogatory word.

Jap on the otherhand was used extensively by American military personel to describe japanese troops and civilians and in context was generally meant derisively.

Look at the word "Paki" now..mega no-no to describe somebody of Pakistani origin..however,in the 1970's in England,most corner shops were owned by Pakistani and Bangladeshi immigrants and the shops themselves were called "Pakis"..it wasnt a big problem..its just times change..what was once deemed okay is now considered racist although its original intention might have only been descriptive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Pakistani Bonner.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

No abuse for being Irish - mega abuse for being fat. People are bizarrely abusive about that. I say people, I mean men. Why are there no fat people anti-discrimination laws?!

Also, guys at uni wouldn't let me play football with them, but I reckon that was probably cause I was better than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yes i have - i wasnt allowed to use the scissors in school because the hand i use is black as im a black man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

There was the brick throwing incident which I've shared.

Three times it happened that I was walking on a sidewalk when a car stops feet away from me and the occupants of the car yell out: "You F'ing N*gger".

While standing with other Native females, the entire group was called a "bunch of squaws".

I've been called "Aunt Jemima", "a beautiful buxom black princess (shudders)", and "colored".

I've been told that I'm not a "real American" whatever that means.

Then there have been a whole assortment of statements made about my various body parts ranging from lips to behind.

Many, many instances of someone accidently brushing against my skin and then watching them wipe their body part as if my color rubbed off on them.

Hmm... what else....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Three times it happened that I was walking on a sidewalk when a car stops feet away from me and the occupants of the car yell out: "You F'ing N*gger".

While standing with other Native females, the entire group was called a "bunch of squaws".

I've been called "Aunt Jemima", "a beautiful buxom black princess (shudders)", and "colored".

Then there have been a whole assortment of statements made about my various body parts ranging from lips to behind.

Many, many instances of someone accidently brushing against my skin and then watching them wipe their body part as if my color rubbed off on them.

Hmm... what else....

Crackers be crazy baby girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

@ Killer Wench

Jaysus..
    sorry to hear that Killer Wench

Some people are just so ignorant and thick..
    I can't believe people would say such things..

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

One time at work one of my colleagues, a black man, was struggling to throw someone out so I jumped in to help him. We got the guy out, after which he started calling my teammate every racist name under the sun. Eventually the guy fúcked off so my teammate went back inside. The guy came back about 10 minutes later, walked up to some other random black man, and started hugging him, shaking his hand, and apologising profusely. The guy, who was about 6 inches taller and looked nothing like my mate, was utterly confused but too polite to say anything. My mate asked about it later and I told him what happened - we were both in hysterics laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Got all of them sadly. Been called Orange bastard, 'Go back home to scotland' and so on. Not nice.

Hmm... what else....

Sorry to hear that killer wench :(, there are some idiots out there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

In a nightclub, a lad tried to start a fight with me because I was white. I was shocked when it happened and didn't know how to respond but laugh and turn away. The bouncers seemed to be watching him and he was thrown out a few seconds later.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Got abused for being irish one time. Can't really remember too much as I was too busy getting pissed. Not even sure it was abuse, might just have been asking for the time. bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A remember being called a 'Fenian Bastard' by some other kid - I had no idea what a fenian was and asked my folks when I got home and they didn't give me a satisfactory answer, probably for fear of making me aware of 'the troubles' and sectarianism.

Unlike my parents I suspect that kid heard it from his.

• Advertisement

Domo230 wrote: »
    Im a white male heterosexual caucasian

So no

Try Bradford and see what happens to ya.

Advertisement