Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been a victim of prejudice? (sexism, racism, secterianism)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Oh, no need to apologize. No one here's fault. At least I hope no one here is at fault. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Called an Irish bastard/**** many, many times when working in a call centre. The usual Irish people are stupid stuff by a few English people. Nothing that even remotley bothered me. Family went through some hardcore sectarian stuff in Norn Iron though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

The only time I've ever experienced homophobia is when a Romanian gypsy woman (of all people) spat at me and the girl I was meeting as we were walking home from a nightclub in Cork city centre, just because we were walking down the street hand in hand.

Grew up in England but moved here when I was 19 and got called 'Irish bitch' a few times when I lived there, and when I moved here I got called 'English bitch' a few times:rolleyes:. Ya just can't win..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Degsy wrote: »
    Nip is short for "Nippon" which is the japanese word for "The land of the rising sun"..never really used as a derogatory word.

Jap on the otherhand was used extensively by American military personel to describe japanese troops and civilians and in context was generally meant derisively.

Look at the word "Paki" now..mega no-no to describe somebody of Pakistani origin..however,in the 1970's in England,most corner shops were owned by Pakistani and Bangladeshi immigrants and the shops themselves were called "Pakis"..it wasnt a big problem..its just times change..what was once deemed okay is now considered racist although its original intention might have only been descriptive.

Nip is a derogatory term used by Australians for Japanese and most Asians now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There was the brick throwing incident which I've shared.

Three times it happened that I was walking on a sidewalk when a car stops feet away from me and the occupants of the car yell out: "You F'ing N*gger".

While standing with other Native females, the entire group was called a "bunch of squaws".

I've been called "Aunt Jemima", "a beautiful buxom black princess (shudders)", and "colored".

I've been told that I'm not a "real American" whatever that means.

Then there have been a whole assortment of statements made about my various body parts ranging from lips to behind.

Many, many instances of someone accidently brushing against my skin and then watching them wipe their body part as if my color rubbed off on them.

Hmm... what else....

This was all in Seattle?

• Advertisement

The only time I've ever experienced homophobia is when a Romanian gypsy woman (of all people) spat at me and the girl I was meeting as we were walking home from a nightclub in Cork city centre, just because we were walking down the street hand in hand.

Grew up in England but moved here when I was 19 and got called 'Irish bitch' a few times when I lived there, and when I moved here I got called 'English bitch' a few times:rolleyes:. Ya just can't win..........

A friend went through the same thing. Maybe you should have just moved to the Isle of Man or something.

Nodin wrote: »
    This was all in Seattle?

No, across the US and abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    A friend went through the same thing. Maybe you should have just moved to the Isle of Man or something.

Which is notorious for disliking both countries :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Been called “spick” (derogatory name for Spanish people) because I have sallow skin and go quite dark during the summer and Ive dark hair/eyes :rolleyes:

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    Been called “spick” (derogatory name for Spanish people) because I have sallow skin and go quite dark during the summer and Ive dark hair/eyes :rolleyes:

Ha same here I go quite dark in the summer but have blue eye and have been called a guinea bastard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I've never experienced anything serious, but a couple of minor incidents...

While living in Brazil, taking to a couple of Protestants....something came up about Jesus or whatever, I said something about something....and one of them said "well, If you were a Christian you'd understand", and with me being a Catholic I said "err I am a Christian"...she kinda shrugged her shoulders and said "you know what I mean" :confused:

Another time in Spain back in 1996, I was 15, and this English fella came up to me, all friendly and all, basically trying to make friends...seemed like a nice bloke.....but when I started speaking...jeez....the second he heard my Dublin/Irish accent....he looked at me blankly and turned on his heels and walked off, without any further comment. Of course the IRA were still bombing the sh1t out of England in those days...so either he was pissed about that, or maybe knew someone who died ...but still, those pr1cks didn't do that stuff in my name so I was actually quite offended by what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Transgender woman here. I've been heckled on the street, called names, been told that I'm mentally ill, all sorts of crap.

The worst any of my trans friends have experienced is where three of them were walking down the street, and some women were shouting horrendous abuse at them from a car. One of my friends turned around, and saw not only that the car was a taxi, but also that the taxi had slowed down to walking pace so that the women in the taxi could continue to hurl abuse.

The guards said that it was a matter for the carriage office, and the carriage office said it was a matter for the guards. Yeah, right.

Of course, about three years ago, a trans woman was nearly murdered in Dublin city centre. If it wasn't for the fact that she was a nurse, and hence knew how to stop her bleeding, she would now be dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Transgender woman here. I've been heckled on the street, called names, been told that I'm mentally ill, all sorts of crap.

The worst any of my trans friends have experienced is where three of them were walking down the street, and some women were shouting horrendous abuse at them from a car. One of my friends turned around, and saw not only that the car was a taxi, but also that the taxi had slowed down to walking pace so that the women in the taxi could continue to hurl abuse.

The guards said that it was a matter for the carriage office, and the carriage office said it was a matter for the guards. Yeah, right.

Of course, about three years ago, a trans woman was nearly murdered in Dublin city centre. If it wasn't for the fact that she was a nurse, and hence knew how to stop her bleeding, she would now be dead.

....from the phillipines, was she?

That is utterly ridiculous.

Thats rough. Some amount of scumbag cnuts in this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One time at work one of my colleagues, a black man, was struggling to throw someone out so I jumped in to help him. We got the guy out, after which he started calling my teammate every racist name under the sun. Eventually the guy fúcked off so my teammate went back inside. The guy came back about 10 minutes later, walked up to some other random black man, and started hugging him, shaking his hand, and apologising profusely. The guy, who was about 6 inches taller and looked nothing like my mate, was utterly confused but too polite to say anything. My mate asked about it later and I told him what happened - we were both in hysterics laughing.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

No abuse for being Irish - mega abuse for being fat. People are bizarrely abusive about that. I say people, I mean men. Why are there no fat people anti-discrimination laws?!.

Because people don't have to be fat if they don't want to, you can easily change that if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Yeah was in Tanzinia a couple of years ago and was called MZUNGO in all pubs, when I asked what it meant I was told "White Man", now while this doesn't sound too bad can you imagine if you were in your local and any dark skinned person came in and you referred to them everytime you spoke to them as " Here Black Man" how it would go down, not too good me thinks, so it's not just "White" people who are racist

21/25

Because people don't have to be fat if they don't want to, you can easily change that if you wanted.

You can change religion also but why should you have to just because some people feel the need to abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Call a lad fat in a workplace and nothing happens, ah sure it's all good natured.

Call a women fat in the workplace and you'll be the most hated person in there, every women will hate you
    Even if some spend most of the morning discussing celebrity diets before heading on "elevenses" for tea and biscuits. I never heard of elevenses until my last job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Women always treat me as a sex object.

Me too, I get "come here you big sexy donkey!" all the time and it's starting to hurt my feelings. I'm more than a huge body part. I have feelings too. So what if I have big ears. That's no reason to pre judge me. I'm a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Got some idiot in a smoking area of a pub one night(in bristol) slagging me because I'm here because us Irish were poor and "we" helped bail you out. All I said in return was you came to the IMF first a bit like British men no stamina at all always first to come. Worked out well he was confused and a lassie thought I was great and well................:D

Also get the potatoes joke over here but I remind them that it was an english guy that brought them over.

Another night while standing at a bar some bloke said "fcuking Irish" to which I replied are you enjoying your Guinness que some serious flake from his mates:cool:

Overall havent experienced too much racism just the odd bit of ignorance and stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Nodin wrote: »
    ....from the phillipines, was she?
    I think so. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

worked in tenerife for a few summers, never a bother with english, welsh or scottish-i was one of the few irish working there and got along with everybody, but our "brothers" from up north always liked to have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Lived in London for 10 years - have to say it was the place of opportunity at that time, was not racist myself (being Irish) and loved living in Brixton but knew how to avoid areas as well such as Edmonton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Call a lad fat in a workplace and nothing happens, ah sure it's all good natured.

Call a women fat in the workplace and you'll be the most hated person in there, every women will hate you
    Even if some spend most of the morning discussing celebrity diets before heading on "elevenses" for tea and biscuits. I never heard of elevenses until my last job

Calling anyobdy fat is a bit low though no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Yes. looking for new accomodation. Rent allowance not accepted.

Why not? Its not my fault I lost my job, and I have been doing my utmost since, with voluntary work to ensure that I fill my days with something worthwhile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

df1985 wrote: »
    Calling anyobdy fat is a bit low though no?

True and I wouldn't.

But ask them about a diet they talked about and they'll take offense, same thing
    Darlughda wrote: »

Why not?

A minority of scum on rent allowance who ruin it for everyone else. Landlords see a stigma about it. You'll be in the house all day which is an issue if it's a house share as you'll be using heating during the day.

And landlords get paid in arrears and any disputes, it's difficult to manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Darlughda wrote: »

Why not? Its not my fault I lost my job, and I have been doing my utmost since, with voluntary work to ensure that I fill my days with something worthwhile?

Usually means the landlord hasn't done all their paperwork and isn't above board with declaring taxes and the like. It's nothing personal against you.

Ironically, it will probably become more common as the country becomes poorer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Most days of my life.

I think most people could say that though.

Some people are assholes. Don't cry about it.

Advertisement