Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been a victim of prejudice? (sexism, racism, secterianism)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I honestly can't think of anything worth talking about. I guess I've been lucky, then again I've never really went anywhere outside Ireland so that could have something to do with it.

Well, bar being looked down on for my parents being on the dole the majority of my childhood. Nothing obvious, just small little digs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

A minority of scum on rent allowance who ruin it for everyone else. Landlords see a stigma about it. You'll be in the house all day which is an issue if it's a house share as you'll be using heating during the day.

And landlords get paid in arrears and any disputes, it's difficult to manage.

Yeah, but thing is I have bought my own fuel for use during the day while in a houseshare, do there was never any problem there.
    Also I had a months' rent in advance and deposit so there is actually no difference between me and any other tenant so I don't understand why.
    Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Usually means the landlord hasn't done all their paperwork and isn't above board with declaring taxes and the like. It's nothing personal against you.

Yeah, the mad thing is in the last houseshare I was in, the landlord had NONE of his paperwork up to date. Yet he was still able to collect the RA off me as a tenant?

Its really crazy the amount of no rent allowance accepted on the few places that come up that are in the rent allowance limits. I don't understand this. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Solicitors and family courts. Prejudice and assumptions against men.

Small stuff from British soldiers and the RUC.

Luckily I live in a very mixed and integrated area and the vast majority of people get on very well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Of mediterranean descent and I've experienced racism on a number of occasions! Even today still. Some silly cnut called me a Paki and a terrorist a while back because I wouldn't order drinks for her! :pac: She'll go far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Got beaten up and robbed by scumbags one night because (I'm presuming this was why they targeted me, anyway) I was seen kissing another guy. Woke up covered in blood in a stairwell without my wallet.

Fun night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Got beaten up and robbed by scumbags one night because (I'm presuming this was why they targeted me, anyway) I was seen kissing another guy. Woke up covered in blood in a stairwell without my wallet.

Fun night.

Nothing worse than losing your wallet after getting a hiding! - totally out of luck that night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You can change religion also but why should you have to just because some people feel the need to abuse

I'm trying to think of a logical comeback but I can't. WELL PLAYED

Basically though, I just don't like fat people, they annoy me when I see them on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Darlughda wrote: »
    Yeah, but thing is I have bought my own fuel for use during the day while in a houseshare, do there was never any problem there.
    Also I had a months' rent in advance and deposit so there is actually no difference between me and any other tenant so I don't understand why.

Its really crazy the amount of no rent allowance accepted on the few places that come up that are in the rent allowance limits. I don't understand this. Why?

Look at the country man, look at the value landlords often attribute to property, a lot of landlords inherited properties or was stupid enough to buy at an insane price. These are not intelligent people half the time not everything is above board with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm trying to think of a logical comeback but I can't. WELL PLAYED

Basically though, I just don't like fat people, they annoy me when I see them on the street.

I have to admire your honesty!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I had to split up with the only real love of my life coz he couldnt tell his (prodestant) family that he was in love with a Catholic girl. This was in the early 90s when it shouldnt have mattered but if we had stayed together he would have lost his farm and his family and I couldnt do that to him so I walked away.

It has made me no longer a catholic but also someone who will not tolerate intolerance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Yes, out and out sexism, many times at a well known leisure centre. First of all, I have no prejudice against homosexual men, but I just am not one of them and so after I swim and work out, I would prefer to shower with women .. but apparently because I have a penis, I have to go and shower with other penises. In fairness to the ladies at the club, they were on my side :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Rds1989

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Yes, out and out sexism, many times at a well known leisure centre. First of all, I have no prejudice against homosexual men, but I just am not one of them and so after I swim and work out, I would prefer to shower with women .. but apparently because I have a penis, I have to go and shower with other penises. In fairness to the ladies at the club, they were on my side :cool:

Segregated showering is what has Ireland in the mess it is in at the moment and thats a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Fun night.

Fùckin scumbag bàstards....

I was beaten up and had a brand new expensive phone stolen in Belfast one night for being a republican.... How do I know it was because I was a republican? Because they only decided to beat the snot out of me after I shouted "P.I. P.I. P.I.R.A." at the top of my lungs outside a known loyalist owned nightclub. :o Yes. Only myself to blame there. I was young and a twàt. And lucky to get away with just a hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I was beaten up and had a brand new expensive phone stolen in Belfast one night for being a republican.... How do I know it was because I was a republican? Because they only decided to beat the snot out of me after I shouted "P.I. P.I. P.I.R.A." at the top of my lungs outside a known loyalist owned nightclub. :o Yes. Only myself to blame there. I was young and a twàt. And lucky to get away with just a hiding.
    Lucky indeed. What a stupid thing to do. Didn't think you supported the PIRA either. Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Jesus you must have a death wish. Could have been a lot worse. People have lost kneecaps for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I have experienced being told that I am an ugly ginger bítch who should kill myself because of my hair colour (which is actually red, not ginger) - wow. I'll consider that racist because being called 'ginger' in a derogatory manner was how the english used to slag the poor irish back in the day. Oh and I've also been told I'm not being hired because I'm Irish and don't have permanent residency (although I do have authorisation to work here). :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Jesus you must have a death wish. Could have been a lot worse. People have lost kneecaps for less.

A van load of police watched them kick the shīte out of me and did nothing... But I have no doubt had they not been there I'd probably be dead. But like I said, only myself to blame. I was a bit of a mental case when I was younger...

A few weeks later I was in a republican bar in west Belfast and I half expected in my stupid ego filled head that I'd be thought of as some kind of brave bàstard.... Not so. An Officer Commanding of the IRA in that area asked me was I, and I quote, "Some kind of retard?" :o:o:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

As a catholic growing up in an 89% Protestant town (by last census) I was subjected to sectarianism quite regularly. Even by a few teachers.

well just to balance things out.......

As a Protestant growing up in the Republic in the midlands back during the 80s, i experienced plenty of the "cold shoulder" treatment, some people would look at you as if you were a leper.

Told on numerous occasions to f*ck off! back to england (even though i was born & bred here) called a west brit and f*ckin unionist on the school playground, the ignorance and narrowmindeness of some people was profound, absolutely hated the place and i couldn't wait to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There was one Protestant lad in our school. With his double barrelled and unusual and posh sounding name it was fairly obvious.

Got called apprentice boy a lot and people imitating playing the flute around him.
    Not by me, I got plently of abuse on my own from the local bullies :mad:

Never heard west brit until I started on boards, nobody used that. Doubt we even knew it

Quite a large Protestant community in the area actually, they call Cloughjordan in Tipp "mini Belfast"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Yes.

Enough said

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think so. Why?

Read it in the papers. Thought it was a disgrace yer man wasn't charged with attempted murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Barna77 wrote: »
    Yes.

Enough said
    Not really no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

On a number of occasions.

Once getting a ferry from Denmark to england

Everybody on the ferry just walked through customs. I got the 3rd degree literally, because i was a terrorist Irish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

In all fairness, there is a fine line between prejudice / discrimination, and calling a spade a spade. There's a lot of these posts which some wouldnt consider prejudiced at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Being gay and in secondary school, yes, I receive a bit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Have an American accent and catch crap over it quite a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

When I was used to live in a hostel before for young people, and English fella used to regularly gets threats from the "I.R.A" over the phone. It was all bull**** (obviously) but just highlights the situation.

Being gay and in secondary school, yes, I receive a bit :P

...if thats an all fellas school, then I'd say thats a rough gig indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Has anyone here ever been called a Spud Nigger?

I was told to "fuck back to poland!" a few years ago... I'm from the south east.

• Advertisement

wild_cat wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever been called a Spud Nigger?.

...never even heard of that one....

Advertisement