Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost revenue

Options
  • 15-04-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

connacht and galway united playing at the same time!! is it not time they sorted this regular fixture clash? surely its worth a few hundred extra people through the gates if they were on different nights? why do they not sort it out, its in both clubs financial interests to do it. a lot of people would love to be able to attend both matches

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

It's an easy choice, watch some third rate prima donna want to be's in Terryland or go to the Sportsground to see some upcoming and international players in a better sport...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Mike... wrote: »
    It's an easy choice, watch some third rate prima donna want to be's in Terryland or go to the Sportsground to see some upcoming and international players in a better sport...
    Up and coming internationals?? how many players have connacht had play for ireland while being connacht players in the last few years? Cronin is the only one i know and hes off! Galway utd have seen Jay O'Shea, David Forde and Seamus Connelly progress to higher levels recently, all without the central funding handed to the ruggers.
    And it would of course be in everyones interests if the games could stop being scheduled simultaneously but its probably never going to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

The op pointed out the poor scheduling which means both sports will lose a few attendees, please don't try and turn this into a rugby vs. football debate.

I agree they should try and not play the same night, both need as many fans as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I take it that you meant the Welsh internationals playing for Cardiff at the dog track?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Hahahaha, oh God. Clueless. Prima donnas my hole. People playing for peanuts, because they love the game and want to further their careers more like it.

Anyway, there was nothing Connacht could do about their kickoff times afaik. And that's their last home game this season isn't it? 7.45 on a Friday is when GUFC will attract the bigger crowds, so no problems till the rugby starts again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I ain't turning this into a Rugby vs Soccer thread, And yes by International, I do mean the visiting teams, How many Internationals from successful soccer nations visit Terryland. Also the atmosphere in the Sportsground is far better than terryland park

I ain't turning this into a Rugby vs Soccer thread, And yes by International, I do mean the visiting teams, How many Internationals from successful soccer nations visit Terryland. Also the atmosphere in the Sportsground is far better than terryland park

I go to watch my team play, not to be entertained by the sights and sounds around the ground,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

This shouldn't be let move away from the issue. It should be simple enough to resolve if the two parties meet. GUFC know their fixtures for the rest of the season so they should be able to send their September, October and November fixture dates to Connacht and ask that they don't clash if possible.

I have a season ticket for both teams but I've only made it to 1 and a half of the 4 Galway United home matches so far because 3 of the games have clashed with Connacht games. I'd love to have been at all those games.

There was a decent crowd in the Sportsground to watch a poor Connacht performance and it seems there wasn't much of a crowd in Terryland tonight. 2 weeks ago there was a big crowd in Terryland clashing with the Connacht game. Both sides are losing out and indeed Mervue were playing at home tonight as well so GUFC figures are hit on the double.

We have two poorly supported teams in our city who need every cent they can get their hands on so lets hope the people on both sides can bang their heads together before September rolls around and we're left with another similar situation. A lot of people want to support both clubs but if the situation isn't remedied I won't buy another season ticket for the sake of it, I want to get some use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Was that Connacht's last home match of the season tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Was that Connacht's last home match of the season tonight?

Yes, 2 away matches left now. They won't be playing at home in competitive action until September with maybe a couple of friendlies in August. So there is plenty of time to sort out dates for the Autumn.

Some clashes are unavoidable but there is nothing more frustrating than 2 or even 3 games being on at the same time in the city one Friday and none then the following Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Yes, 2 away matches left now. They won't be playing at home in competitive action until September with maybe a couple of friendlies in August. So there is plenty of time to sort out dates for the Autumn.

Some clashes are unavoidable but there is nothing more frustrating than 2 or even 3 games being on at the same time in the city one Friday and none then the following Friday.

Yeah, I agree. Hopefully an arrangement can be made for when the seasons overlap again in September and October.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

i went to the mervue game, jesus I arrived about 10 minutes before kick off and I'd say I was the only one there at that point, a few hardy souls piled in later on dashing my dreams of entering the guinness book of records for being the guy who comprised the lowest ever attendance at any league game in world football

I can see the papers now:

Mervue 0 - 2 Limerick (O'Flynn 14, 63)

Referee: S. Galvin

Att: 1 (and his dog didn't even show up)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

It certainly is a bit silly to see three fixtures going ahead at the same time in the same city.

United will be contacting the other organisations with a view to a future compromise.

Keith Fahey and Seamus Coleman have in the last few seasons. Great to see LOI players moving on to bigger and better things and getting capped, enhances the standing of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

how many times a year do the fixtures clash? is there a large over lap to football/rugby fans?

i know Connacht have feck all say in when the matches are played. it's dictated by magners league and tv.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I ain't turning this into a Rugby vs Soccer thread,

Really :confused:

Anyway, It really is a nonsensical situation for for a small city to have to have two sporting events clashing when many of the fans (myself included) are shared between them.

It would be more realistic logistically for Galway United to negotiate their fixture list around the Rugby one, given that Connacht play in an international competition.

Lapin wrote: »
    Really :confused:

Anyway, It really is a nonsensical situation for for a small city to have to have two sporting events clashing when many of the fans (myself included) are shared between them.

It would be more realistic logistically for Galway United to negotiate their fixture list around the Rugby one, given that Connacht play in an international competition.
    probably true but the fai arent exactly an efficient organisation. They cant even manage not to schedule mervue and galway utd games the same night.

United have 600 season ticket holders who have purchased with the presumption that we are playing on Friday evenings, so we would prefer not to start changing fixtures around unless we assured of a larger crowd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You'd have 601 if the games didn't clash.

I'd buy one on the presumption that I could support both soccer and rugby at every home game.

Galway United in contact with Connacht to try and resolve the issue.
    The next home match at Terryland Park is versus Shamrock Rovers on Friday week, April 29th. K0 is 7.35pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

It is of no real consequence to Connacht Rugby whether or not this is resolved. The hit they take in attendances is not signficant when their revenue (massive subsidy, sponsorship, tv money etc.) as a whole is taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

It is of no real consequence to Connacht Rugby whether or not this is resolved. The hit they take in attendances is not signficant when their revenue (massive subsidy, sponsorship, tv money etc.) as a whole is taken into account.
    lets say an extra 100 through the gates due to games not clashing, 20 euro a head, thats 2,000 euro to the rugby, multiply by 5 matches a year= 10,000 euro. even for a club with all the money of connacht rugby!!?? thats still a nice few extra euros. it would pay erics wages for a week anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Up and coming internationals?? how many players have connacht had play for ireland while being connacht players in the last few years? Cronin is the only one i know and hes off! Galway utd have seen Jay O'Shea, David Forde and Seamus Connelly progress to higher levels recently, all without the central funding handed to the ruggers.
    And it would of course be in everyones interests if the games could stop being scheduled simultaneously but its probably never going to improve.

Well said! A bit of planning between the two sports will benefit the city in a huge way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

samdeman wrote: »
    lets say an extra 100 through the gates due to games not clashing, 20 euro a head, thats 2,000 euro to the rugby, multiply by 5 matches a year= 10,000 euro. even for a club with all the money of connacht rugby!!?? thats still a nice few extra euros. it would pay erics wages for a week anyway!!

How much does it cost for an adult to get a covered seat at Connacht Rugby? It's €12 for Galway United and all kids go free. Three years ago, it was €20 to get in to the main stand at Pearse Stadium to watch a GAA match but I don't know how much it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

ErnieBert wrote: »
    How much does it cost for an adult to get a covered seat at Connacht Rugby? It's €12 for Galway United and all kids go free. Three years ago, it was €20 to get in to the main stand at Pearse Stadium to watch a GAA match but I don't know how much it is now.
    25 i think for covered seat up to 35 for european games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

They are no fools, but they won't lose any sleep over something that is such a tiny part of revenue for them.

25 i think for covered seat up to 35 for european games
    correction - it's €25 for magners and european pool games for tickets to the enclosed stand.

it only went to €35 for the quater final and semi final of Amlin Challenge Cup last year (which is fair enough)

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    correction - it's €25 for magners and european pool games for tickets to the enclosed stand.

it only went to €35 for the quater final and semi final of Amlin Challenge Cup last year (which is fair enough)

Fair to raise the prices for the same competition due to progression?.

GUFC would be lynched if it raised the prices into a good FAI cup run

Fair to raise the prices for the same competition due to progression?.

GUFC would be lynched if it raised the prices into a good FAI cup run

there is a bit of a difference between a FAI Cup run and a home European Quater and Semi Final. /off topic.

• Advertisement

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    there is a bit of a difference between a FAI Cup run and a home European Quater and Semi Final. /off topic.

There's not really, since the Rugby clubs automatically qualify for the tournaments every year.
    European- is a bit of a stretch too considering the poor spread bar France/Italy.
    I wouldn't compare Euro in football directly with Rugby.

The point was simply costs though.
    How can you justify increasing costs based on progression?.... hosting costs wouldn't increase to justify charging more.

Advertisement