Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Raheny

Options
  • 15-04-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all...Just looking for any advice or guidance...Im just wondering what Raheny is like as an area to live in, are their good schools/clubs/play areas for children, is it relatively safe, is it quite at night time etc etc etc...Moreso, im just wondering about the area around Tonlegee Road, I don't know Raheny at all really so all advice greatly appreciated but especially for that area...Thank you in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Hi all...Just looking for any advice or guidance...Im just wondering what Raheny is like as an area to live in, are their good schools/clubs/play areas for children, is it relatively safe, is it quite at night time etc etc etc...Moreso, im just wondering about the area around Tonlegee Road, I don't know Raheny at all really so all advice greatly appreciated but especially for that area...Thank you in advance ;)

Tonlegee Road isn't really Raheny, at least it wasn't in my day, it was Coolock. To be more exact for today, it's not in the parish of Raheny. During the property boom years Raheny seems to have consumed Edenmore, Kilbarrick, Donaghmede, Harmonstown, parts of Coolock and parts of Artane. I believe Tonlagee road is in the parish of Coolock. Some parts south of it may be in Edemore. You'd need to check with local churches to confirm 100%.

This essentially means you'll find it difficult to get your kids into the schools in Raheny such as Scoil Ide, Scoil Assam and Scoil Aine.

Main part of Raheny is great. The 3 schools above along with the secondary schools Manor House and St Pauls would all be well regarded. It gets more working class and hence rougher in other parts.

St Annes park has great facilities, including play grounds, football pitches, tennis courts and a par 3 golf course. There's other facilities in the park around Endenmore but I'm not that familiar with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RebeccaWatCom

generally speaking Raheny is very quiet and everybody knows everybody. Nice spot, close to town, no complaints really....

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

Raheny is a lovely place to live but Manor House is an awful school if your child is in any way different, they've got serious bullying issues that the teachers can't or won't handle.

Tonlegee Road is near myself, the address is probably Raheny but it's really not that close to the centre of Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Raheny

Raheny is a great suburb, one of the best on the northside within easy reach of town. It has everything: Dart, good bus service, Bull Island, St Anne's Park, an established community, good schools, shops, and a nice village centre.

Re Tonlegee Rd, I did some research on this before and checked the OSI and EPA maps. Tonlegee Road is Raheny as far as Springdale Road/ the Santry River. In fact, even if you look at old townland maps, Tonlegee Road is clearly the northern boundary line of Raheny/Coolock. As you go west beyond the Santry River, Tonlegee Rd becomes Coolock. Three districts meet at Kilbarrack fire station: Donaghmede (to the north), Raheny (to the south and west) and Kilbarrack to the east.

Not the nicest part of Raheny, but fairly settled nonetheless with good, solid 1970s McInerney private houses.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

According to An Post, which as far as I know is the ultimate authority on addresses, Tonglee Rd is Coolock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Raheny

The An Post address checker is not 100% accurate/consistent. For instance, if you type in "The Gables" (which is the small, gated housing estate on the Tonlegee Rd on the left-hand side heading east towards the coast), An Post states it is "Raheny, Dublin 5". I typed in random house numbers on Tonlegee Rd - some came up Coolock and others Raheny. I've had this issue with the An Post checker before - e.g. The Willows estate is Glasnevin, but An Post calls it Finglas.

Anyway, this is a bit pedantic. My main point is that Raheny is a good place to live. Personally, the only area I'd avoid would be Edenmore, though the area around Tonlegee Ave/Drive seems quite OK (it's probably not Edenmore per se).

Advertisement