Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!

• 15-04-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Our cat just had 2 kittens in the last few hours.

The problem i have is that she had them on our bed.
    I tried moving her into the box we made to have them but she kept going back to the bed.
    About an hour after she had the kittens i moved them to the box and brought them into the sitting room.
    Since then the mother has gone mad.
    She keeps meowing and trying to get out of the sitting room.
    She also seems to favour one kitten over the other.

Anyone know what i can do??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The cat chose the quietest and safest place to have her kittens, she obviously feels comfortable there. I know its not a good place for you, so you need to give her an acceptable place. Do you have a spare room?
    If not let her back in the bedroom for now, make her a comfy nest in a corner, off the ground is better, but make sure the kittens can't fall out.
    Feed her near the box and leave plenty of food out, and leave water well away from the food, and leave a litter tray. She should settle again if left quiet.

Also are you sure she's finished? there could be more kittens to come, they have been known to have a few hours gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

No spare room unfortunatly. I tried putting them on the ground beside the bed but she didnt want that either. She kept jumping up on the bed

Do you have some way of keeping a bed off the ground?
    They generally prefer to be off the ground a bit, make it cosey and put in an old jumper or something with your scent.
    Is this a first litter?

Ye its her 1st litter. She is only about 9 months old herself. Shewent missing for a few months and then came back pregnant.
    I have the kittens in a box with blankets and a mat in there.
    She seems to be calling out, looking for another kitten even tho she only had the 2

http://www.all-about-cute-kittens.com/newborn-kitten-care.html

This link has some info on newborns.
    Have a feel of her if she'll let you, sometimes a large kitten can get stuck, you need to watch carefully for any sign of this, she should be cleaning them and make sure they are warm and away from draughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

She may not be finished as two is quite small for a litter. She could be looking to get back up onto the bed to finish where she started. I could be wrong but just an idea, maybe leave her on the bed for a while and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

It's more than likely she will have more than 2 kittens.

She chose your bed as the safest place she could find to give birth, trying to move her to somewhere else right now while she's in labour is causing her immense stress when she needs privacy and quietness to give birth.
    Can you sleep in a chair or somewhere else for one night?
    By tomorrow she may accept being moved to a box with towels or a duvet in a corner of the bedroom with her kittens.

She had 2 more kittens during the night.
    Unfortunately one of them was stillborn.
    She seems to have relaxed more aswell.
    Thanks for all your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

cococoady wrote: »
    She had 2 more kittens during the night.
    Unfortunately one of them was stillborn.
    She seems to have relaxed more aswell.
    Thanks for all your help :)
    Well done, you and mother cat!
    Pity one of them didn't make it, but she has 3 now to concentrate on. Just make sure she has plenty of water nearby, and food and a litter tray and she'll be ok.
    Keep us updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Just keep an eye on her and make sure she has milk. 9 months is very young for her to be having kittens so she might need help. Lactol kitten and puppy formula is good to have just in case.
    Pictures please!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

In your hot press is a great place for them.Try it out.She also may not have finished giving birth.

Also with the kitten thats missing out,You can put it on the nipple.I had a cat i had to do that to and the kitten was the runt.But survived because i took time to make sure she got to eat :)

How do you add pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

cococoady wrote: »
    How do you add pics?
    insertimage.gif

When you click to post just click on that image and insert your image.:)

Advertisement