Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

newbie milking machine question

• 15-04-2011 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hey guys, was wondering could anyone tell me how a pulsator works, as in pulsators used in milking machines. How it works with the motor, how to incorperate them into a machine and so on. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

not sure what you mean exactly but basiclly the pulsater opens to let the vacum into the cluster to squeeze the teat now adays there is a electonic box controlling the pulsater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

This website will give you a basic understanding on how a machine works.. very basic and American standards vary considerably from those here..

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/fieldservice/Dairy/Mastitis/milkmac.htm

If you're thinking of going the DIY repair/install route then I wouldn't advise it.. I've seen many diy jobs and many cows destroyed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shaymoose7

thanks but i understand the proccess of the whole machine and the jb of the pulsator i just need to know what a pulsator is in relation to the motor like is it something attached to the motor or fitted into one or is it seperate from the motor or what ?

At its basic a pulsator is a mechanical or electromechanical device attached to the main vacuum line of the machine.
    It will look something like this
    Pulsator_L02.jpg
    or this
    EP2090_200.jpg

A mechanical pulsator will use the vacuum in the line to both control it's pulsating motion and the vacuum down to the cluster.
    In an electronic pulsator the electronics control the rate of pulsation and the vacuum down to the cluster.
    The vacuum pulse down to the cluster controls the opening and closing of the liner under the cows teat, 70/30 would be 70% of the time open and 60/40 would be 60% open.

Both of the pulsators shown are 2x2 pulsation (milks two teats at a time) but there are 4x0 systems (milks all four teats together). 2x2 is marginally more expensive but a far superior method of milking. Then there are relay systems which can be controlled either manually or electronically.

Actually going back to the 50's/60's there were pulsators ran off the machine motor but they were shockingly ineffective and I'd guess in this country they have all been consigned to the scrapheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shaymoose7

Thanks dude really helpfull. Just wondering, is there a pulsator pipe line of some sort with the pulsator attached or is it attached to the vacuum line ?

• Advertisement

In general the main vacuum line from the pump would come as far as the sanitary jar and then branch on down the parlour, it is this main vacuum line down the parlour that the pulsation is attached to. typically in PVC/Gunbarrell where the other lines in the parlour for milk/washing would be in stainless steel.

Advertisement