Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennells in Saudi Arabia

• 15-04-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Moving to Saudi soon and hopefully bringing the dogs with us. But am worried about when we need to come home for holidays. Are there dog kennels in Saudi?

Thanks for the help

Russian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,450 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would make enquiries as to the practicalities of owning dogs there - dogs are considered "unclean" in some cultures.

Aside from that, will the weather be fair on the dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

All dogs are "unclean" to a Muslim unless it's a Saluki !.

The weather shouldn't pose a problem as everywhere is air conditioned. There is lots of info here & I suggest that you do some homework & have everything arranged well in advance.

http://www.saudipaws.com/FAQ.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Michael McArdle

Saudia Arabia doesn't have the best human rights record so I'd be very careful about bringing an animal there. As someone here already advised, be sure to do your homework before doing anything. I don't mean to be rude but the love you undoubtedly feel for your dog must come second to the animal's welfare. Something I'm sure you already appreciate, though.

Saudia Arabia doesn't have the best human rights record .

And Ireland has a dreadful animal welfare record but you would bring a dog here on hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Russian Spy

Thanks for all the comments. I think the dogs will be happy enough in the house with air conditioning. The link to saudi paws is great :)

• Advertisement

The link to saudi paws is great :)

Yes it surprised me. You should of seen the documentary, shown on RTE, that featured the Royal Saudi Saluki Kennels complete with gold beds !.

You will find loads of stamps from Saudi, Bahrain etc that feature Salukis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

You would leave your dogs with other expats or other expat dog owners, not in a kennel. That shouldn't be a problem.

Be careful about bringing the dog in. The country can be very bureaucratic... and things take time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Was it not Saudi that I read had banned the ownership of dogs last month, as they are Westernised and unclean under their belief system?

Please be careful, talk to other ex-pats too :-) Enjoy the move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Was it not Saudi that I read had banned the ownership of dogs last month, as they are Westernised and unclean under their belief system?

Please be careful, talk to other ex-pats too :-) Enjoy the move

That's not correct. Dogs are allowed in Saudi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Lots of expats in Saudi own dogs. By the time you are going on hols you will have met people who will recommend places to you or will look after the dogs. Our maid used to look after ours while we were away with no problem/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

keanooo wrote: »
    That's not correct. Dogs are allowed in Saudi.

I knew I had seen it somewhere though I think it was the Daily Mail http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3301505,00.html

Advertisement