Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varnishing Deanta Oak Doors

Options
  • 15-04-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi Im on a new build and im after fitting Deanta Oak doors -four panel and some with half glass . I cant say i'm 100% happy with the finish on them and on the half glass ones the 'Stops' are rough enough on some of them and will need some slight sanding .
    My question is if i'm going to varnish them it has to be a Matt type vanrnish so what type make should i go for ? And also what type of sand paper ? and should i sand them much ? The last thing is if i am to varnish them would i get a better finish by spraying them ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Tiger

Matt finish - Interior doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Spraying will give a better even coverage, thats if you can spray pretty good. Were they pre-finished doors? Maybe they only got a basecoat to seal them??? How many doors have you to do and where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

I have 16 doors to do , yeah they are a Matt finish pre-finished , im living in East Cork

Unless you are proficient with a spray gun my advise is to use a brush or use a wiping type varnish. Dust is your enemy and if you do not have a proper set-up you will spend your time sanding the dust particles imbedded in the finish.

BTW are you sure the factory sealer/finish is varnish? I would not be surprised if it was lacquer or one of the newer super finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

BTW are you sure the factory sealer/finish is varnish? I would not be surprised if it was lacquer or one of the newer super finishes.

From the Déanta brochure: "Once the door has been manufactured
    it is typically sanded to an open grain finish and finished with
    three coats of our trademark satin varnish."

• Advertisement

Thanks MM, missed it the first time I scanned Déanta site. Nice selection of doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Hey Tiger72 make sure you use 240 grit paper or higher as the slips on the Deanta oak doors are actually ash stained to look like oak.

Advertisement