Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noob's Guide - Move apps to sd card on an unrooted device

• 15-04-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Problem: My phone is not rooted and the space was down to 17mb. I know Android 2.2 allows applications to be moved to sd card but only a select few.

So I was looking to free up some space and still keep all my apps. Looking at the net I came across this guide and the best part is that is that it does not require any root.

Instructions are really simple. Followed them and now I have 45mb of free space. After that I installed few more apps like firefox which is another 13mb but it was installed on sd card. Now I can go on installing lots of apps that I always wanted to :)

This requires Froyo 2.2
    It doesn't void your warranty
    It doesn't delete existing apps
    It's perfectly safe
    It doesn't require rooting.

http://androidforums.com/desire-tips-tricks/174345-how-move-apps-sd-card-unrooted-device-noobs-guide-updated-09-02-11-a.html

Note: Even after this few apps cannot be moved to sd like Adobe Flash etc. But only a minority few.

If you want to get back to how your phone was then follow the instruction and in the end do "pm setInstallLocation 1" instead of 2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

I did this before and I would not recommend it.
    As you move everything to the SD card, all apps that rely on internal storage don't work correctly.
    Everytime you reboot your phone, you will lose your Twitter login credentials, settings, etc. Same for Facebook and other apps that are coded for internal storage only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You could just download and use A2SD instead - it does the same thing without any hassle and doesn't require root. That method with setting the installlocation via adb ends up screwing up the widgets - even moving those widgets back to the phone doesn't often get them working correctly again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Hmmm... I dont use twitter but do use facebook. Just tried rebooting the phone and the credentials are intact. I guess you need to give it a minute or two for the sd card to fully mount. No problem after that.

Even if you have to enter the credentials for couple of apps, I think its still better than not having enough space on the phone and android complaining all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I downloaded apps2sd but it doesn't let me move any apps that weren't movable in the Settings > Manage Applications.

It says my memory is full even though I've only got a small amount of apps installed on the phones storage really :mad: ;

Google Maps
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Gmail
    Go SMS
    Go Launcher
    Astro
    Go Contacts
    Youtube
    and a few others that are under 500kb

It's not like I have a big amount of unnecessary apps yet my phones storage is saying only 10mb left...am I missing something here?

Advertisement