Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglars going door to door

Options
  • 16-04-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Warning to everyone about burglars going from door to door under the guise of taking surveys etc.. On thursday about a minute after my mother pulled out of the drive i noticed these 2 men in suits coming in the drive with clipboards. They rang the door bell and as i thought they were census collectors i went to find the census. The doorbell rang again and when i opened the door the 2 rough looking lads were talking to them selves and looked shocked to see me and asked was the home owner home and could they have a chat i said no and sent them on there way, However i noticed they had only blank sheets of paper on their clipboards. Anyway i thought no more of it until i heard today that later the same day my neighbour was in bed sick and didnt bother answering the door when the doorbell rang. A few minutes later she saw your mans head poppin in the door of her bedroom. When they saw her they took off.

Anyway just a warning to people to beware of people going around under the guise of census collectors or whatever in the next few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

where did this happen?
    did you tell the Gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

They've heard all the answers and none of them work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

My wife mentioned a rough looking sort collecting for charity at our place last week. She said it was a bad photo copy of an old sponsorship card. She ran him in any case. Could be same crowd. Ballybane area if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

I know of a woman, a few weeks ago, was in her house alone when a guy knocked on the door asking for some petrol as his car had broken down. She said she didn't know where it would be as her husband wasn't home. He asked where the nearest petrol station was which is a good 3 miles away. Just then her husband came home and he when around to the shed to get some petrol and the guy legged it. There was a car parked down the road abit waiting for him. He must have thought nobody was home as there was no car outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

omg! thats crazy!:eek: thanks for the warning, dreading leaving the house for the weekend now, i like my stuff! think il leave a light on in the bedroom or something, just in case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

This went on in county Limerick a few years back, so the same thing is being copied here.
    What they're doing in Limerick now is posting those 'Charity' bags only halfway through the letterboxes and then coming back later to break in. If you have elderly or vulnerable neighbours, please push the bags through the letterbox or hand them to the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Jesus thanks for the heads up on this... I'm moving to Galway on Monday with my sister... I'll make sure to have the alarm on when we're workin!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

mikom wrote: »
    They've heard all the answers and none of them work.

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Bosco boy wrote: »
    What are you on about?

About 60K a year.
    You?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Census enumerators have luminous vests on when they're out collecting forms that have official stamps on them. They have to wear it collecting the forms and have i.d. around their neck, so if anyone else asks for your form or info, tell them to feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I've really upped the anti since I've been off on maternity leave. As a result I see a lot more during the day, usually where we live we'd all be out at work and nobody much around. However, in the past two months I've been sitting pretty (or not!) and have seen seriously sketchy characters. Nobody comes to our door for long as we've a huge dog who goes mental but I've seen people knock on doors and walk around the back if there is no answer. Now there hasn't been a break-in in a while but I'm often left wondering who these people are who choose houses with no cars. An interesting one here is that a neighbour of ours walks to work, leaves her car and they never call. I called the Gardai when I saw a wonderful Transit one day and their advice was to keep a note of numbers etc and keep my house protected. There are many scams out there and I really don't think you can be too careful. A few months back a neighbour had her handbag stolen from the kitchen table while she was upstairs brushing the kids teeth, she had been in and out to the line and had left the sliding door unlocked, not open though. Sent shivers down my spine. What was worse was her newborn was in her bucket seat in that room...

Tougher sentences on those caught thieving should sort this.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

What was worse was her newborn was in her bucket seat in that room...

methinks they probably have enough mouths to feed;)

Funny! I just mean she couldn't help think hwo things may have been worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

^couldn't resist,
    just goes to show how brazen and fast they are tho.

Scary stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks for this. I know scams go on every day of the year somewhere, but when one gets highlighetd here on boards I do make an effort to bring it to the attention of people I know, especially my grandparents and their neighbours etc.

Advertisement