Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child singers/young teen singers - liked by adults?

Options
  • 16-04-2011 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Is it possible for a child singer, or young teen singer to musically appeal to adults?

Whilst singers like Justin Bieber & Cody Simpson are massively popular with young teens & kids, they are usually publicly derided by adults. I personally don't know any adults that would admit to having a Justin Bieber/Cody Simpson/Hansen song etc on their MP3 list.

Is it just that adults would feel weird about being a fan of a child/young teen singer because it could seem 'a bit pedo' or 'odd'? Does society dictate what singers are acceptable to 'like' as an adult?

The reason I ask is because I just randomly came across a youtube video of a 12 year old singing, and although I dislike the song, I have to admit that he is a very talented singer for his age. And yet, I wouldn't send a link to this clip to any of my friends...it just would feel awkward. But I'm unsure why exactly.
    Here's the clip.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Depends on the song completely.

An example for me would be Vanessa Paradis...Joe Le Taxi is an unusual type of song, which I would 'like'. It's not stereotypical childish/teeny music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

At Oxygen, good cover - nice reception too they get. As the previous poster points out depends on both the song and quality of voice the kid has.

Can't see Bieber's appeal myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I know a lot of women around 30 years of age who like Bieber just for the "Niawwwwwwwww" factor but I think/hope it stops there.

They're produced and presented to a meticulous degree these days to have mass appeal because their primary targeted demographic (young teens) are getting more sophisticated in their tastes now, so older people are going to find themselves curiously interested as well. Win win for the record companies I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Is it possible for a child singer, or young teen singer to musically appeal to adults?

Whilst singers like Justin Bieber & Cody Simpson are massively popular with young teens & kids, they are usually publicly derided by adults. I personally don't know any adults that would admit to having a Justin Bieber/Cody Simpson/Hansen song etc on their MP3 list.

Course it is. If you really appreciate music, then it doesn't really matter what the social reputation of the artist is, I'll download it. Now that said I can't think of anything on my iPod that fits that description, but if I was to come across a song or album I really liked it wouldn't matter if it was sung by a 7 year old or a 70 year old I'd still buy/download it.

I know plenty of people, not all of them girls, who'll admit to liking Bieber's stuff. The kid is a bit retarded when it comes to giving interviews, but there's no denying he can sing. It's just a pity that his success means he's singing shíte songs at the behest of the industry.

I've come across plenty of videos of talented kids singing or playing instruments etc and if anything I respect them more than their adult counterparts because it's generally just pure talent - unlike professionally produced music with its backing vocals, added effects and which is instantly boosted in popularity by the already established reputation of the artist.

Take this kid for example, this popped up on facebook a few weeks back. It doesn't sound as good as the mixed track by the man himself, but I still thought it was an amazing effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dammitimmad

The reason I ask is because I just randomly came across a youtube video of a 12 year old singing, and although I dislike the song, I have to admit that he is a very talented singer for his age...

Except for choral music, I would say generally NO. For rock or pop at least, adults can't relate to a child singing. Even the examples in this thread just illustrate the point. The fascination is with the novelty of a kid pulling off an extraordinary cover but you're not going to go out and buy their records and listen in the car, or really deeply relate to their voice. Essentially, they haven't lived yet, so they're faking it, it's a parlour trick.

New here - how do I embed clips?? Here's another couple of pretty cool efforts :-)

An irish one...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPA13L65ELw
    and a huge youtube hit...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L64c5vT3NBw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Except for choral music, I would say generally NO. For rock or pop at least, adults can't relate to a child singing. Even the examples in this thread just illustrate the point. The fascination is with the novelty of a kid pulling off an extraordinary cover but you're not going to go out and buy their records and listen in the car, or really deeply relate to their voice. Essentially, they haven't lived yet, so they're faking it, it's a parlour trick.

New here - how do I embed clips?? Here's another couple of pretty cool efforts :-)

An irish one...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPA13L65ELw
    and a huge youtube hit...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L64c5vT3NBw

Top embed, just click the Youtube button at the top of the new post/reply screen, and then copy in the part of the youtube url after the v= in between the tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Is it just that adults would feel weird about being a fan of a child/young teen singer because it could seem 'a bit pedo' or 'odd'? Does society dictate what singers are acceptable to 'like' as an adult?

The reason I ask is because I just randomly came across a youtube video of a 12 year old singing, and although I dislike the song, I have to admit that he is a very talented singer for his age. And yet, I wouldn't send a link to this clip to any of my friends...it just would feel awkward. But I'm unsure why exactly.
    Here's the clip.

nope, i hate children who act/perform/sing with a passion so hot you could burn the sun.

but i haven't a clue why :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Pdfile wrote: »
    nope, i hate children who act/perform/sing with a passion so hot you could burn the sun.

Because it's usually way over the top and false and creepy, imo.

Also, the current trend of middle aged rappers teaming up with tweens to do songs is also just weird and somewhat tragic.

But this is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

These kids won some sort of Norwegian kiddie singing contest. Really good cover in my opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Justin Bieber singing about love and a girl he likes, pfft how could any adult give that the time of day? Its kids music with no credability.

Although i have to say that the last 10 years of music there hasnt been many great albums tha in the 10 years before. The 90's had great Bands Oasis Nirvana the verve OCS the Manics.... the last few years has been dire.:cool:

Although i give no credability to Katy perry and GAGA and the like, pure muck.

If i got into one of my friends cars and they had Bieber on, He'd regret that- i'd also think there was something wrong with him. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Pdfile wrote: »

I think it's demeaning personally. Nothing worse than a tv show (for example) with a load of kids on it trying to entertain adults.

Must be why I detest Ant & Dec :D I think of them as annoying little kids even though they're 30+ nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dammitimmad

majiktripp wrote: »

At Oxygen, good cover - nice reception too they get. As the previous poster points out depends on both the song and quality of voice the kid has.

Can't see Bieber's appeal myself..

Well it says Electric Picnic which figures. Way too hippy for Oxegen. Have to say, that was pretty cool though! Beats bloody Crystal Swing anyhow.

Advertisement