Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs tied!

• 16-04-2011 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

great news...not!!! took such good care of keepin dogs apart wyl she was in heat includin sacraficing a few doors i wen out got somethings out of fridge came back in and they were tied together. literally 5 seconds is all they were together. and wen i left they were lyin down half asleep. i hope she dont have pups coz i dont have tym for them. dont get me wrong if she does i'll have to make time which i will. but with a new baby in the house(well he 9 months but still a handfull) twill be tough. better start clearin a room in case...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Take her to the vet and get the injection that's the equivalent of the morning after pill for dogs. I had to do this a few weeks ago cos my bitch had a silent heat out of sequence that caught us off guard. One minute the dogs were playing, then in a blink if an eye they were tied.

Just pop down to the vets asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Definitely head down to the vet this morning to get the mismating injection - the sooner she gets it after mating the better.

If you don't want to breed your dog, it may be a good idea to get her spayed (your vet will be able to fill you in on all the info) - she won't ever come into heat again and you won't have to deal with any unwanted puppies in the future! It's amazing how some dogs can get to a bitch so fast, look away for a second and there they are... cheeky little buggers :rolleyes:

Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Vets straight away!! If thet tied then the chances of her having pups is very high so you need to sort this asap and the sooner the better as the injection will have more chance of working.

Dogs in heat should not be left around an intact male for even a second as thats all it takes.

Please get her to the vets so this can be sorted, there really is enough unwanted, unplanned litter of pups around at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

thanks all for ye'r advice. much appretiated. brought her to vets and apparantly its too long after they tied. he said its usually day 3 - 5 they have to give it. they were tied about a week before i wrote up. i havnt been on in a wyl. i never even new of such thing tbh before ye said it! she was never around him for the whole 3 weeks. they were locked into different rooms as i'm in the process of raising the height of my back yard fence to keep my olympic athlete in! he went through 2 doors. thank god i came home when i did-or so i was thinking- coz he got there in the end. i'm now hoping he was too late. it was her 3rd last day of the 3 weeks heat. i'm hoping i got my no's wrong and he was even later! i new she was coming into season as she's fairly accurate every 6 months. so kept checkin and checkin den here we go-seperation. every other heat she had she would not let him anywhere near her. she would floor him if he as much as sniffed her. if she is preggers, these pups wll only be given to good homes. if i cant find them one, i'll keep them till i do. not just anybody. and if they dont want them no more for whatever reason, they have to come straight back to me. thanks again guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I'm no expert on this but when my rescue dog was pregnant, the VET told me puppies can be aborted at any stage but it's inhumane if it's after the first trimester, ie. 3wks so it should be easy to do now and would be the best course of action IMO. Are you sure your vet said 3-5DAYS are you sure it wasn't weeks?

It really shouldn't be an issue at this early stage and would be for the best. Pups are a hell of a lot of work and there's enough unwanted dogs in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I read the documentation for the jab after my vet gave it to Kai and it said it can be administered after a few weeks have passed. Obviously though, and as the paperwork said, if you leave it too long and the pups have begun to develop, the aborted pups would be passed by the bitch and I don't think anyone would recommend that. I'd call back to the vet if I were you or go to another if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

She can still be spayed at this stage if you don't want her having the pups. Maybe they don't do it so late because there's less chance of it actually working? Doesn't that injection increase the risk of pyo as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

if she turns out not to be pregnant I suggest you get her spayed to avoid a situation like this again

and if she is, good luck and you should also look into her gettin spayed asap
    puppies AND a baby is a lot of work

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

she was never around him for the whole 3 weeks. they were locked into different rooms as i'm in the process of raising the height of my back yard fence to keep my olympic athlete in! he went through 2 doors. thank god i came home when i did-or so i was thinking- coz he got there in the end. i'm now hoping he was too late. it was her 3rd last day of the 3 weeks heat. i'm hoping i got my no's wrong and he was even later!

Our dog got pregnant on the very last day of her being in heat so she could definitely be pregnant. After 3 weeks of the boy constantly whining because he wanted at her and because he missed his best friend, it was a bit annoying. Turned out okay in the end, we had planned on breeding from them anyway, we just thought the timing wouldn't be good this time around but it was all grand. We were told that if they tied and she was in heat then she was more than likely pregnant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Well, I wanted to give you my two cents on this on the other thread but it's been locked. You have been a long time poster on here contradicting advice people are given re: neutering their dogs and keeping a bitch in heat away from males because you see no need and people should be able to make sure nothing can happen without doing this. What are you looking for advice on exactly and are you likely to take any of it on board? The people who can offer you the best advice on this are the very ones whose posts you continually rubbish i.e. the rescues and ethical breeders. I'm neither and have no experience of breeding dogs but personally I would have an emergency spey done if it is too late to abort, if it isn't I'd abort and still spey later, I'd also have the male neutered as your doggie contraceptive methods don't appear to work and you seem unwilling to make an effort to try something reliable.

• Advertisement

they'v worked for 3 years nearly. i usually keep him outside and her inside but he started scaling a 5 foot ditch and going into the neighbours garden which she wasnt happy about. i dont have any money so i was saving for a fence. i spent 200 euro on a chainlink fence and was in the middle of putting it up when this happened. i couldnt keep him outside because it wasnt up fully yet and to be honest i wasnt risking him scaling it while i wasntt out there with him and i dont agree with tying him up. it was an accident which shouldnt have happened but it did. it was preventable on my part but it was just a coincidence that she came into heat the same time as they started getting in next door. i new exactly when she was coming into heat and was waiting for the day. i had them locked into seperate rooms. but as i say he ate through 2 doors, frames and archatrives. the bitch cant jump the 5 foot ditch but i wasnt risking leaving her outside either in case another male got into the garden. we are in this house over a year and they never once tried to get in necxt door. but they started feeding birds with bread all over their garden so thats wat encouraged him to start jumping. and call me old fashioned but i dont believe in abortion. its murder in my eyes. sorry for a clash of opinions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

they'v worked for 3 years nearly.

Do you know what would work permanently?

Neutering your dog.

Do you know what would work permanently?

one inside and one outside during her cylce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

But thats not 100% safe, there is always a risk and it takes seconds for it to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

For both their sakes have them neutered. Aside from not adding to the oversupply of dogs in this country the following ought to be considered:
    Your bitch will be less vulnerable to various cancers and spared from pyometra. If she gets pyometra then she will have to be spayed anyway and at greater risk.
    Your dog will also be spared from certain cancers and prostate problems. Again if he gets testicular cancer later in life, he will have to be neutered and the risks will be greater for the op due to the illness and age. Also, any desire to roam will be decreased.
    You have said already that you are not in a great position to be coping with a litter of pups at the moment. She could have a large litter and it may be hard to find good homes for them. There could also be problems whelping, your bitch will need extra food, vet checks, the pups will need to be vaccinated and fed. The costs could very easily spiral.
    Please consider speaking to your vet again, or get a second opinion from another vet - I'm presuming that her pregnancy is confirmed. AFAIK, there are different types of mismate out there, one of which can be administered up to 45 days after conception. Or, as has been suggested, an emergency spay.
    It is a difficult position to be in, I understand. I would not like to be faced with that choice for my little girl (which is why she is getting spayed next month). However, if you feel that a termination is "murder", then surely you must feel the same way about all of the dogs that are pts because of breeding accidents or otherwise. If you cannot find homes for the pups, will you be faced with that terrible decision? I personally think that it is far worse to euthanise healthy dogs than to terminate unviable foetuses but that is just my opinion. If you do decide to go ahead with this, please get your dog neutered asap and your bitch spayed as soon as she is ready. Don't be put off by the cost, there are a few schemes out there for people on low incomes, such as that run by Dogs Trust whereby you can get the op done for just €20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Except if your neighbours start feeding the birds and he starts jumping a ditch because you haven't finished the fence and it was too expensive to finish and then he ate through two doors and etc. etc.

But he could have done all that, placed an ad on OK Cupid, gotten a sex addiction, humped everything in sight and came like Old Faithful and it wouldn't have made a difference if he'd been neutered first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Shoulda woulda coulda = more unwanted pups. If you're a responsible owner get your dogs neutered. That way breeding accidents CANNOT happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

i spent 200 euro on a chainlink fence and was in the middle of putting it up when this happened.
    I'd look for something a bit more secure if I were you; I know of at least two litters concieved through a chain link fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kylith wrote: »
    through a chain link fence.

As in one dog each side? :eek:

Kinky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Whispered wrote: »
    As in one dog each side? :eek:

Kinky!
    Yep. They say that love laughs at locksmiths; it certainly sniggers at chain link fences. If a dog can get his willy through then he will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

i spent 200 euro on a chainlink fence and was in the middle of putting it up when this happened....

Is there a reason you are keeping both dogs intact? I've had an intact bitch and dog together and after 2 heat cycles the dog was down to the vets to be neutered, I just couldn't take the stress of it anymore, not to mention the stress on the dog.
    With the €200 you spent on the fence you could have gotten one or both dogs neutered and you would never have to worry about accidents again. However if I'm honest I get the feeling that this is a 'happy accident' as the owner of a dog who geniunely didn't want their dog to have pups would either get the mismate injection or a spay/termination.

mosi wrote: »
    For both their sakes have them neutered. Aside from not adding to the oversupply of dogs in this country the following ought to be considered:
    Your bitch will be less vulnerable to various cancers and spared from pyometra. If she gets pyometra then she will have to be spayed anyway and at greater risk.
    Your dog will also be spared from certain cancers and prostate problems. Again if he gets testicular cancer later in life, he will have to be neutered and the risks will be greater for the op due to the illness and age. Also, any desire to roam will be decreased.
    You have said already that you are not in a great position to be coping with a litter of pups at the moment. She could have a large litter and it may be hard to find good homes for them. There could also be problems whelping, your bitch will need extra food, vet checks, the pups will need to be vaccinated and fed. The costs could very easily spiral.
    Please consider speaking to your vet again, or get a second opinion from another vet - I'm presuming that her pregnancy is confirmed. AFAIK, there are different types of mismate out there, one of which can be administered up to 45 days after conception. Or, as has been suggested, an emergency spay.
    It is a difficult position to be in, I understand. I would not like to be faced with that choice for my little girl (which is why she is getting spayed next month). However, if you feel that a termination is "murder", then surely you must feel the same way about all of the dogs that are pts because of breeding accidents or otherwise. If you cannot find homes for the pups, will you be faced with that terrible decision? I personally think that it is far worse to euthanise healthy dogs than to terminate unviable foetuses but that is just my opinion. If you do decide to go ahead with this, please get your dog neutered asap and your bitch spayed as soon as she is ready. Don't be put off by the cost, there are a few schemes out there for people on low incomes, such as that run by Dogs Trust whereby you can get the op done for just €20

here we go...back to the shelter debate again. can ye not just leave that outside one thread??? does it have to follow us from thread to thread. broken record. i'v already explained all in the last thread ye got locked.
    too expensive to finish

never said it was too expensive to finish...
    kylith wrote: »
    I'd look for something a bit more secure if I were you; I know of at least two litters concieved through a chain link fence.

and another repeated arguement...i did this, i no of, my friend... again all mentioned in the previous thread. and dont no why thats even an issue as my dogs are on the same side of the fence. plus there a foot and a half thick ditch behind it. the ditch he was jumping over???
    lrushe wrote: »
    Is there a reason you are keeping both dogs intact? I've had an intact bitch and dog together and after 2 heat cycles the dog was down to the vets to be neutered, I just couldn't take the stress of it anymore, not to mention the stress on the dog.
    With the €200 you spent on the fence you could have gotten one or both dogs neutered and you would never have to worry about accidents again. However if I'm honest I get the feeling that this is a 'happy accident' as the owner of a dog who geniunely didn't want their dog to have pups would either get the mismate injection or a spay/termination.

ya i was keeping them intact because i wanted a pup of each of them so that when their gone i'd still have a part of them. is that wrong?? not in my eyes. but it wasnt to be for another few years. certainly not a happy accident. if i wanted to breed them i wouldnt be locking them away from each other would i?? no i's stick um out into the garden together for the 21 days?? who would i be trying to impress by then saying it was an accident?? coz theres certainly nobody here i'l be trying to impress. ye dont believe in dogs being put down but ye are all for abortion? again i'm confused...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

The rescue argument is very relevant here. Pitbulls and staffs are hugely overrepresented in pounds around the country and, are often the first to be pts unless a rescue manages to get them to safety. By breeding your dogs, you are actively contributing to this.

Anyway, let's put the rescue argument aside for one moment, and I would appreciate if you could answer the following.
    • Are you concerned about the potentially fatal health issues that you are subjecting your dogs to by leaving them entire?
    • Do you have pet insurance to pay for these issues?
    • Your bitch could have a large litter. What will you do if you have to pay for the care of ten pups that you can't home?
    • How do you plan to home the pups? Are you planning to sell them?
    • How will you afford the extra food and veterinary attention for your pregant bitch?
    • If you do go ahead with this pregnancy you will have the pup that you said you wanted from them. Will you get your dog neutered now and your bitch spayed as soon as she is ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

ya i was keeping them intact because i wanted a pup of each of them so that when their gone i'd still have a part of them. is that wrong??

Absolutely not if your dogs have met some criteria for breeding. I know you probably can't show your dogs as Pitbulls in Ireland are a type rather than a breed but that doesn't stop you from health testing them, doing agility, obedience and/or at the very least get them their CGC Cert to prove that they are of sound body and mind to be bred from.
    certainly not a happy accident. if i wanted to breed them i wouldnt be locking them away from each other would i?? no i's stick um out into the garden together for the 21 days?? who would i be trying to impress by then saying it was an accident?? .

While I don't think you purposely allowed your dogs to breed I do think you are happy they have 'accidently' mated as it absolves you of any responsiblity for taking the proper measures that reputable breeders take before breeding.
    ye dont believe in dogs being put down but ye are all for abortion? again i'm confused...

I'm not against putting dogs to sleep if there is no other option, as it's been said here before there are worse things in this life than death. However there is a big difference between using a drug to expel some cells from a dog in early pregnancy and putting a living, breathing conscious animal to sleep.

mosi wrote: »
    Are you concerned about the potentially fatal health issues that you are subjecting your dogs to by leaving them entire?
    • Do you have pet insurance to pay for these issues?
    • Your bitch could have a large litter. What will you do if you have to pay for the care of ten pups that you can't home?
    • How do you plan to home the pups? Are you planning to sell them?
    • How will you afford the extra food and veterinary attention for your pregant bitch?
    • If you do go ahead with this pregnancy you will have the pup that you said you wanted from them. Will you get your dog neutered now and your bitch spayed as soon as she is ready?

no i'm not concerned as yet. they will be spayed/ neutered in good time. which i will decide on. she wont have a large litter as she is ver small so i dont think she could host a big litter. the pups are being homed to people i know and friends of friends. only people who have proved to me over the years that they are responsible. there is 4 potentially gone already. alot more have asked for one but i have refused them. yes i plan to sell them but for a small fee that will cover the shots microchips and food. making me basicly break even. i will get help moneywise of my dad till i get the money back. i dont think i'l be keeping a pup from this because i have a very young baby. but if there is a few left i wont be in a rush to give them away. and if they dont go to a good home then they are more than welcome to stay with me untill i do succeed to find them a good home.

lrushe wrote: »
    Absolutely not if your dogs have met some criteria for breeding. I know you probably can't show your dogs as Pitbulls in Ireland are a type rather than a breed but that doesn't stop you from health testing them, doing agility, obedience and/or at the very least get them their CGC Cert to prove that they are of sound body and mind to be bred from.

While I don't think you purposely allowed your dogs to breed I do think you are happy they have 'accidently' mated as it absolves you of any responsiblity for taking the proper measures that reputable breeders take before breeding.

I'm not against putting dogs to sleep if there is no other option, as it's been said here before there are worse things in this life than death. However there is a big difference between using a drug to expel some cells from a dog in early pregnancy and putting a living, breathing conscious animal to sleep.

i'd love to get the cgc and i'm asking around for a long time for info oon it but nobody seems to know anything about it in cork unfortunatly. my staffy would pass with flying colours. my pitbull would fail on the grounds of meeting another dog as he is always too hyper and just wants to meet them. but that will be deemed unacceptable as they have to more or less ignore the other dog. i no in my heart and soul they are sound mentally and physically. i have yet to meet a person that has met my dogs and has a bad word to say about them.

no i think thats an unfair comment there. i'm one of the most responible owners i know to be honest. just because they are intact doesnt mean i'm irresponsible. i walk them on muzzles and 2 foot chain lead, i pick up their **** on the road which i never ever see anyone else do, i'v put serious ammount of hours into training them, which is still ongoing and will be for ever, if i classed myself as a breeder i would do those things, but i'm not and i never will class myself as a breeder.

and the fence was nessisary because they were jumping over the ditch. so if i neutered them out of that money they would still jump over the ditch. so the fence was needed there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

seriously not sure why anybody is bothering responding any longer on this topic...

just another iressponsible dog owner bringing yet MORE puppies into the world... :confused:

into a world and a country that has already FAR TOO MANY unwanted and unloved and abandoned puppies.... rammed into shelters with little or no resources...

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the shelter debate again...well done. orriginal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

no.. not the shelter debate... wasnt starting a debate.. its a fact...

well done on breeding more unwnated puppies :rolleyes:... and when some of them end up in a shelter... not necessarily by your hand but by the people you sell/give them to.... share a thought for them.... :(

• Advertisement

read the full thread properly. can you do that??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement