Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB speeds in Bray?

• 16-04-2011 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

we live just off the boghall rd in bray, we're with eircom ngb & phone package for the last yr, we've one of those filter boxes on the wall which takes the bb cable to our eircom router & it's all been good with consistent speed of 3.54mbs which i'm happy enough with. I'm assuming we're on the Bray exchange, but is there any way of finding this out?

The company my wife works for has moved into fairly modern office block on the southern cross route in bray so it's literally around the corner from our house.
    The previous company that was in there had eircom bb +phone line & told my wife's boss they were getting the full 8mbs, when they moved in the highest they've been able to get was 3.5mb & most of the time it's dropped to below 2, so they've changed to vodafone office package. this has dropped the speed from 3.5mb to below 1!

I've checked the bb router by swapping in another one to see if that made any difference & it didn't. They asked me to ring Vodafone tech support for them & they've told me that they (vodafone) are pushing down 4mb which I can see when I log into the router setup. they also said the exchange they're connected to isn't ngb enabled & that their line isn't capable of taking any more than 1mb therefore they'll never be able to get more than 1mb!!

I don't get it !! I would have thought they'd be on the same exchange as we are at home?

Can anyone shed some light on this pls?

Thanks in advance,
    jasper

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Vodafone have a track record of actually downgrading people's existing DSL connections that work fine in the name of "stability". Read some of the threads on the Talk to: Vodafone site, indeed start a thread there and ask them to explain themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kingtorres9

Hi JasperKat

Live on the boghall road as well and getting about 3.6 to 4 mb daily. Dropped to under 2mb last 2 weeks but back to normal now. Also on bb + calls package on NGB. Maybe your wife's office had the same package as us and thought they were getting 8mb. Have a friend who works in the eircom exchange in bray and the best way to find out what you can get is disconnect everything, go to the eircom box and put only the router in and then ring eircom from your mobile and ask them to do a line test. They will tell you what you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't think eircom call centre staff can arrange a live test though this may have changed. I remember people asking for a test to be carried out for them in the exchange the next working day though. In any case, if the line is with Vodafone, it's Vodafone who have to deal with line speed queries etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm in Ardmore Wood off Herbert Road, not too far away from you and I'm getting a steady 7.6Mbps with Eircom. I'm definitely on the Bray exchange which is tucked away behind the main Post Office on Quinsborough Road somewhere by the way. I wouldn't think the distance from the exchange would be that different, but you never know what circuitous route they take, almost certainly not 'as the crow flies anyway'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I'm off the Boghall raod and get a maximum of 2 megs. Once the speed is any higher DSL constantly drops off :mad: So I pay for 8NGB but get 2 MB's:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

Antrim_man, I fully sympathise with you mate, it was like that at home sometimes too & I changed the router & speed immediately went up so now we're usually getting 3.5mbs.

Alun, I didn't know where the exchange was actually located so thnx for that info, much appreciated!

To_be_confirmed, I rang eircom this morning (under orders of the wife's boss :eek:) & was told that they can't do a line test because they're not the service provider any longer, which is understandable really. But they did confirm that 4mbs was the highest speed when it was connected to them.

The eircom guy also stated that vodafone may be using the eircom exchange but it doesn't always mean that they use the same infrastructure, so he suggested that we go back to vodafone & ask if they're infrastructure in the bray exchange that we're actually on is also ngb enabled or not?

kingtorres9, hum, that's interesting alright, are you with eircom or vodafone? or another bb provider?

I'm going to ring vodafone again tomorrow & then post in the talk-to vodafone forum, sorry I didn't realise there was one or I'd have posted there.

Sincerly thanks to everyone for your help & advice

Jasper

JasperKat wrote: »
    Antrim_man, I fully sympathise with you mate, it was like that at home sometimes too & I changed the router & speed immediately went up so now we're usually getting 3.5mbs.

Eircom have told me that due to the quality of my line from the house to the exchange that speeds above 2 MB's/S are not achievable. We found this out when they upgraded me to 3 megs a few years ago. DSL went off/on etc every evening (fine during the day), so they dropped me to 2 megs and its been that way ever since.:mad:

Hi JasperKat

Live on the boghall road as well and getting about 3.6 to 4 mb daily. Dropped to under 2mb last 2 weeks but back to normal now. Also on bb + calls package on NGB. Maybe your wife's office had the same package as us and thought they were getting 8mb. Have a friend who works in the eircom exchange in bray and the best way to find out what you can get is disconnect everything, go to the eircom box and put only the router in and then ring eircom from your mobile and ask them to do a line test. They will tell you what you can get.

Where exactly is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Where exactly is it?
    As I mentioned in a post above, it's behind the main post office on Quinsborough Road.

By the way, my BB was off for a few hours yesterday. I rang Eircom to complain and found out (after being fobbed off a few times) that they were replacing line cards in the exchange, in preparation for possible ADSL2+ upgrades for consumer grade accounts. That may have been nonsense, I don't know, but my line stats have suddenly improved by 1.5-2dB on downstream and 3dB on upstream, so something certainly changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kingtorres9

JasperKat wrote: »

Alun, I didn't know where the exchange was actually located so thnx for that info, much appreciated!

To_be_confirmed, I rang eircom this morning (under orders of the wife's boss :eek:) & was told that they can't do a line test because they're not the service provider any longer, which is understandable really. But they did confirm that 4mbs was the highest speed when it was connected to them.

The eircom guy also stated that vodafone may be using the eircom exchange but it doesn't always mean that they use the same infrastructure, so he suggested that we go back to vodafone & ask if they're infrastructure in the bray exchange that we're actually on is also ngb enabled or not?

kingtorres9, hum, that's interesting alright, are you with eircom or vodafone? or another bb provider?

I'm going to ring vodafone again tomorrow & then post in the talk-to vodafone forum, sorry I didn't realise there was one or I'd have posted there.

Sincerly thanks to everyone for your help & advice

Jasper
    With Eircom on the NGB

• Advertisement
Advertisement