Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI for Callan - again!!

Options
  • 16-04-2011 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Wohoo! Great news! I just notice a new planning notice up in Callan for an Aldi! It's proposed to be at a site on the right as you head into Callan on the old West St. road... It's an ideal site....
    Hopefully the objectors of before will get a shake up this time!

And you know, where an Aldi goes.... a Lidl follows!! :D:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Aldi have applied for PP in thomastown too. But its the opposite way around, Lidl first and aldi following . . .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The last site on the Windgap road was perfect for Aldi but that didn't stop supervalue n Co objecting to it, the will do the exact same ****e this time in order to protect their business

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

aldi in thomastown just got refused for been to near lidl and super valu, the inspector recomended that it be given the go, but the bord decided to refuse

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Hopefully the 'local' councillors that live nearly 8 miles away won't be sticking there noses in again and that the planning goes through this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

hi any more news on Aldi coming to Callan or has it been shot down by people who can't run a decent store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭nhg

I just looked it up there on Kilkenny Co Co website and it now says 'decision due 25/9/2011', it was due the middle of this month but as usual they wrote out to them a day or two before that looking for more information which was lodged this week.

Lets hope and pray that it gets through this time...

many thanks for instant information, could,nt agree more with your sentiments, as a passing comment read Aldi was turned down for Thomastown for being to near to Lidl and supervalu, perhaps the inspector concerned has not been to Loughboy where all three are situated so close one can walk from one to t'other, and what a dream it is to shop, went to market cross yesterday more empty shops, parking at 1.30 an hour we really welcome shoppers, if you haven't been to dungarvan well at 4pm parking is free, it really encourages people to shop in the town, but then they have better traffic management, once again many thanks will keep you posted if anything comes up regards, foxy

Considering the insane set-up in Loughboy, surely the argument the Callan couldn't sustain an Aldi(/Lidl) and Super Valu doesn't hold much weight. There are 10 supermarkets in Kilkenny City alone with plenty of decent size convenience shops.

Thanks for the info, I agree Callan would benefit from an Aldi, nothing wrong with Supervalu. except it is too small to stock all the offers and the admin of the shop is a bit naff, no sign of any work on the Aldi site, by the way we now have Lidl in Carrick and of course Aldi, with the high cost of fuel/fares we need something else in Callan, we should launch a campaign if there is another refusal, after all we elected the council to look after our intetrests or was it theirs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not much news on this alright...old Kilkenny People piece on it http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/business/aldi_pick_new_site_in_callan_1_2589792

Planning notice is here - http://planning.kilkennycoco.ie/PlanningDetails.aspx?FileNo=11185

Looks like clarification was sought and received on it recent and decision is due 25th September 2011........this of course won't happen as Supervalue will do what they can to stop this from happening :(

Here are the third party submissions...if memory services me right RGDATA also opposed (they represent shops which would include Supervalue) the last plan also had Linda Cahill c/o who represents Musgraves which is Supervalue again, some of the residents submissions are valid concerns but with some small charges (speed bumps etc) most seem to welcome it.
    Third Party Submissions
    Five valid third party submissions were received and the issues raised are summarised below:
    Tara Buckley, Director General, RGDATA:
    • Site is detached from the existing core of the town
    • 8-9 vacant units in the town centre, whilst some are unsuitable or too small, the large site on Green Street (Callan Co-op) could accommodate aldi.
    • Aldi should not dismiss town centre sites because they do not suit their inflexible plan
    • New retail development should be directed towards the vacant town centre sites

Linda Cahill c/o Coleman Cotter & Co. Consulting Engineers:
    • visual impact on approach to Callan which is designated as an Architectural Conservation Area. Development will be highly visible when accessing the town.
    • Landscaping and boundary treatments do not help soften the impact
    • Sequential test should be dismissed as Retail Opportunity Sites 4 and 5 have not been adequately considered
    • Possible anti-social behaviour at “future development” area of site
    • Opportunities exist for re-use and regeneration of existing floor space
    • No Road Safety Audit has been carried out
    • Proposed development will deteriorate the water network
    • Further archaeological testing required on site

Tom and Kathleen Walsh, Tinnamona, Callan:
    • As resident of the nearest dwelling to the proposed Aldi store, sincerely welcome the proposed development
    • It will offer security and peace of mind to residents of the immediate area
    • Site is currently an eyesore
    • Majority of residents welcome it
    • Customers deserve a choice
    • Aldi will give employment to a number of people in the area

Clonkil Residents Association:
    • Welcome the application by Aldi
    • Greater traffic flow anticipated on Chapel Lane toward Callan town centre due to egress traffic from the site
    • Insufficient pedestrian walkways from the proposed site to callan town centre via Chapel Lane
    • Pedestrians using Chapel Lane placed in danger due to increased traffic – reduction in speed of all traffic by means such as speed bumps, along with provision of suitable pedestrian walkways, from the junction of West Street to the Meadows housing estate would help to alleviate this danger

Richard and Linda Adriano, Abhainn Ri resident:
    • Road conditions not suitable for increased traffic
    • Increased pollution, noise, fumes
    • Entrance/exits on corner of narrow raods
    • Position of any public bottle banks will increase rubbish behind our property
    • Time and size of deliveries and vehicles causing noise
    • Large car park at the rear will encourage youth owned vehicles and late noise
    • Area behind house will be accessible and reduce the security
    • Deter from the residential area detract from surroundings
    • “future development” is unacceptable at this stage
    • Development will devalue our property

Assessment:

I find it amusing that Supervalue make comments on the look of the area con considering the eye sore that their building was for many years.

I also find it amusing that they sight possible anti-social issues yet their car park attacks alot of scum bags and even recently somebody car was set alite in it.

They are pulling out all the stops to get the whole thing stopped yet Tom Walsh and his wife who live closest to where the Aldi will be welcome the whole thing.

Aldi of course unlike Supervalue will likely use a lockable bar across the entrance which will stop scum bags driving into the car park (if not it could easily be requested), this is what they have at almost every other site they have where one can be installed.

Finally I find it amusing that Supervalue are suggesting the old Callan Co-op site as a suitable site for Aldi, the site is farrrrrr too small with no parking so that would be insane,

See attached document which covers everything to date

• Advertisement

Im sure it will be off to An Board Pleanala once again....

I reckon after reading all the info which full marks must go to the provider, a lot of people are or have made a fair bit from the planning stage. One wonders how Bretts Mill got past the planners and Callan Bacon's new factory, an eyesore if ever there was. We hold our breath for next week let's hope we get the store by Christmas 2011, no one mentioned the saving on fuel by shopping local, and the nonsense about other stores in the area, have they looked at the prices, and one has already gone, the other is only there by having a petrol station attached, lets hope we have genuine people and not well paid idiots, great stuff gang keep it up good lick

One wonders how Bretts Mill

God knows,
    Though I will say Brett's isn't as bad as it used to be in the 80's/90's the tree's have grown alot and masked it.
    and Callan Bacon's new factory, an eyesore if ever there was.

Bacon factory is in a zoned industrial estate so as long as they keep within height restrictions etc they can built effectively what they want I'd imagine
    We hold our breath for next week

Even if it gets the goes head the "interested partys" will keep appealing it till the cows come home...the ultimate aim to keep doing so until Aldi loose interest just like they did before and just like Tesco did.

no one mentioned the saving on fuel by shopping local, and the nonsense about other stores in the area, have they looked at the prices, and one has already gone, the other is only there by having a petrol station attached, lets hope we have genuine people and not well paid idiots, great stuff gang keep it up good lick

The location Aldi want to built in while I don't like it as much as their last choice on the windgap road (which was more suitable to increased traffic) is pretty much as central as they can get to the town whilst still meeting their requirements for store design and space (uniform design for all stores after all).

The location also might encourage less people to drive to it due to its closeness to the centre of the town,

Sadly the council won't take the higher prices of the other stores into account when it comes to the planning and the "interested partys" certainly won't mention the higher prices because all they want to do is protect their bottom line.

Whats funny is if you go back to the 80's when SuperValue came to Callan they affected so many small business's in the town causing some to close, which allowed alot of the heart of Callan to die :(

Dear Cabaal, man with your eloquence, knowledge and down right common sense we need people like you on the council, thank you for such an interesting post. If only Supervalu would get off his hobby horse, Aldi will not detract from it's customer base, in fact it will probably give them more customer's. Whilst Aldi is or would be superior to Callan supervalu, one has to take into account that Aldi do not necessarily stock all the lines one needs for a weekly/monthly shop.
    If they went and audited the Kilkenny store they would see customers going from Aldi to Lidl and then to Supervalu or vice versa. The person who cited other convenience stores in Callan, which is now singular, you cannot do a weekly shop there they just do not stock that well and it isn't that well run.
    We need someone to stand for the council who has Callan's interest at heart, Cabaal you sound like the right buddy, anyway thanks regards Foxy

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

Aldi have been granted permission

http://planning.kilkennycoco.ie/PlanningDetails.aspx?FileNo=11185
    Application
    File No: 11185
    Received Date: 15/04/2011
    Applicant Name: Aldi Stores (Ireland) Ltd
    Decision: CONDITIONAL
    Decision MO date: 21/09/2011
    Decision MO number: 427

Great news for the people of Callan and for all who kept us up to date on events leading to this victory, if there are individuals out there who do not agree please do nothing to stop the will of the people of Callan who have had to put up with a fair amount of hardship where shopping is concerned, thank you all regards Foxy

Don't count your chickens just yet, they'll likely be an appeal in very soon just like the last few times with Aldi & Tesco.

Thank you Cabaal, made my day I was expecting to see the bulldozer on site in the morning, think I will have to go sick, right will be in touch foxy

Glad to see Tom approved of the build.

Just one question, is it the field on the turn-off for the Chapel Lane or the field behind the church that they intend to build in? Would have thought the one on the turn-off would have been a little on the small side and a little inconvenient for access. Far better for advertising of course.

EDIT: not behind the church anymore, the field behind the Meadows!!

Hi there, yes, the field that has Chapel Lane on one side and West Street on the other, apparently one way in and one way out, site does not look big enough but there again who would have thought they could build on the site at Loughboy.
    Was in supervalu this morning, you would really think the shop would make an effort one, the recession to save people going to Kilkenny and two Aldi coming. They have no plans to extend the shop, even a Supervalu employee said 9 times out of 10 he cannot get what he wants there, this is the problem with Callan, what an opportunity, Loughboy, Carrick brilliant shops and almost one does not need any other supermarket, but Callan must be the worst shop in the Island, feel very strongly about this, thanks again for your help regards

• Advertisement

Both fields have West street and Chapel Lane on either side :D . . . . but I know what you mean :)

They make some strange decisions in the shop like moving the crisps to beside the dog food away from beside the beer :confused: But other than that there hasn't been any changes since they added the extension a few years ago. I guess the complacency comes from the lack of competition so this may well buck up there ideas.

Even though I still laugh at the day there was a '€50 Limit' sign over the atm and I couldn't see the screen so I flipped it up and one of the managers passing flipped it down while I was trying to use it, comedy moment :D

As an ex-employee from many moons ago I can't knock the shop too much as 1. they gave me my 1st job and 2. the store is in fact almost double the size as then :P

Hope the Aldi deal will go through though, should have more positive than negative effects for the town though

hi Wimbago
    Thanks for the reply, understand not knocking the shop, shows a brilliant attitude, which many people forget if they had it in the first place. Will keep an eye on the site to see when the first sod is dug. I think you are right about the positive side, I would say Loughboy has been much busier with having both Lidl and Aldi, for all there cut prices they do not stock the number of lines that Supervalu does, I don't think one could actually do the weekly/monthly shop, so yes Supervalu pull your finger out, look forward to the future regards Foxy

much has been made of the proposed move to Callan of Aldi, before anyone comp,ains or protests, think, Irish Jobs, Aldi stocks so much Irish made produce they must be keeping quite a number employed, if you walk round an Aldi you will be surprised at the sheer volume of Irish made groceries, in fact they are too numerous to list, I suspect Supervalu actually lags behind in this respect, perhaps someone can give us a percentage of irish produce in both stores, we naturally would not count non food items.
    Aldi sell free range meat, chickens and eggs, which might not be of interest to some but for the animals most certainly.
    Think before you leap as they say, and I do not work for either Aldi or Tesco or Lidl, regards and happy shopping

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

Surprise surprise, an appeal was entered yesterday :(

dear Spocker
    Thanks for the info it seems we still have some very single vision people who cannot get it in to their thick heads that the people of Callan need and want competition. In this day and age why on earth does some morbid individual want to make people go all the way to Kilkenny to shop, the cost of living is so bad they are only making it worse.
    No one is saying anything about Supervalu, the shop is not large enough to stock all the items one needs and in some cases what they do stock is not particularly good value, or put it another way Aldi might do it better, haven't had time to think this out yet but we need a campaign against these fools, but thanks again will write more later, my motto for the day freedom for the people, regards Foxy

RGDATA strikes again!!!!

Its time to name and same so that the people of Callan and surrounding areas can decide for themselves if they wish to boycott these shops.

I agree they are so narrow sighted that they don't realise that if people can buy the majority of their weekly shop local they will do all their shoping local, when in the larger towns/cities they have much more choice so will naturally enough wait until their next trip there to make their purchases.

Well anyway all on hold until at least 24/2/2012 now no matter what the decision is.

dear nhg
    thanks for the comment, you hit the nail on the head, who are these people who do not want Aldi, do they live in Callan? They also have a poor opinion of supervalu, because instead of more customer's nothing will change.
    We reckon with just us the store could lose out on about 150euro a time, if we go to Kilkenny we will do all our shopping within the confines of Aldi/Lidl and Supervalu Loughboy, we would not bother to come back to Callan and then we would use as a shop of last resort, a large corner store, not much better than Centra.
    The staff in Callan deserve more as do the owner's, and I was hoping to have Aldi by Christmas, dream on Foxy, regards and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think we can safel;y assume it's the local Super Value wanting to hold onto their near local monopoly in Callan. Shouldn't be allowed, lots of similar sized town have Aldi these days. They compliment the likes of S Valu rather than comptete head on.

mfitzy, yep think you got it in one, I actually told Dermot the manager that someone must hate his store by trying to block Aldi, they certainly will lose out, if it is them I for one will not support Supervalu, whereas if Aldi was with us we would have purchased food in both stores, even though Supervalu despite the adverts is considerably dearer, for instance Free Range chicken which I had to order is 9Euro in Supervalu, 4.99 in Aldi, and you can get Angus Beef in aldi, cheaper, Grandessa Jam is 1.49 for made in West Cork by a well known Jam maker, they don't even sell it in Callan, fruit and Veg cheaper again, perhaps it is no wonder they are bothered, we will keep our eyes open on this one, pity we can't object to objections, regards and thanks Foxy

• Advertisement

is it not time for the poeple of Callan to tell the elected representative we have had enough of this tomfoolery with first Tesco and now Aldi, we want another store.
    And to the objectors we are living in the Twentyfirst century not the 1800 hundreds, the people of Callan demand that you drop the objection and let Callan grow, it seems one could and still can build houses but not another supermarket.
    It seems no one objected to the failed convenience store at the other end of town, perhaps Aldi should look at SFL's old site.
    Come one whoever you are come out in the open and say why you object to progress

Advertisement