Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI for Callan - again!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Like I said, the forum is too quiet, the bottom of page one has a thread from 31/05/12, that's two weeks ago. If this forum was had the entire first page from a 24 hour period, I probably would start shifting and merging more threads like I do in the cycling forum. I don't understand why it should be an issue, if you don't have an interest in a thread, don't open it, I don't open every thread in soccer but only the ones I'm interested in. That's my final say on this topic and I won't be derailing this thread any further.
    Thanks
    CH

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Capt Havoc.
    Thank you, Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭nhg

I was watching the consumer show last night, let's hope RG Data will be as quick to implement the 'think Irish' campaign in our local sv as they were to object to aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Henne220

I read this thread quite often, doesn't mean I partake but it is interesting and when their is news on the topic then i'm sure this is where i'll find out. Keep up the good work. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I also read this thread often enough, I find foxys updates very informative and interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I also read this thread often enough, I find foxys updates very informative and interesting...

Same as.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

where would we be without Foxy keeping us updated,why close the forum,the eng is nigh but not here yet,keeping it going,i check everyday for updates and foxy is not the only poster on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

mefynn wrote: »
    where would we be without Foxy keeping us updated,why close the forum,the eng is nigh but not here yet,keeping it going,i check everyday for updates and foxy is not the only poster on it

I think you will find foxy is the only poster in the thread for the last good few posts, while im sure foxys posts are informative and of some use to some people i just was wondering why the thread was kept open when only one person was posting on it. This is definitely not a thing against foxy if he/she has an active interest in the issue then i say fair play and if other peoples interest is still in it then by all means keep it going, curiosity got the better of me as to why it was still going.:)

Wow, thanks for the super support, really made my night. Yes 28382, thank you too.
    Unless you are involved it might be quite difficult to understand, one has to remember that the same people have already stopped Tesco coming to our town, and it seems they are determined to stop Aldi.
    If you live in Callan you will appreciate the lack of choice for shopping, in particular groceries. Whereas Kilkenny has almost unlimited choice, except it has not got a Tesco either, not that Tesco is the be all and end all of shopping.
    I like many other's shop for my family and to be honest the price of food is a constant worry, I have a budget and having one of the discounter's in Callan could well make a difference to what we can and cannot afford.
    No doubt some may say well go to kilkenny then, yes very easily said, who is buying the petrol or diesel, and perhaps the second car?
    So what we have attempted to do, is to try and get those who do not want progress in Callan to understand why we badly need choice.
    We are saying please reconsider your options before a final decision is made, think of the people of Callan, the jobs for Callan people and Callan children.
    Children are very complex creatures, they don't like this or they do like that, some of the things are not available in Supervalu, some are.
    Some of the arguements being used are very sad, one for instance suggested Aldi could move into the old Co-op store, where would you park and how do they unload a 40ft trailer, another comment was the historical balance of the town, I think they meant hysterical.
    So all in all,we have tried without making our existing supermarket the big bad wolf, which it isn't, even if Aldi come we need supervalu.
    Finally the staff as it has been said in Supervalu, are really fantastic people. So please bear with us a little longer.
    Thank you all so much, my very sincere regards to everyone. Foxy

we didnt need to post only to read because Foxy kept us all informed and there was no bad language or bad mouthing to cause the forum to be closed,and you didnt have to read it if you only wanted it closed,other people are following it closely

• Advertisement

mefynn wrote: »
    we didnt need to post only to read because Foxy kept us all informed and there was no bad language or bad mouthing to cause the forum to be closed,and you didnt have to read it if you only wanted it closed,other people are following it closely

I never said i wanted it closed i merely asked how come it wasnt closed if only one person was posting to it and that it doesnt make sense to have a thread open if only one person seems to be active on it, by all means if the interest is there then happy days keep it open, i only asked a question is all, ........ question everything nothing is golden.

Hi, it was not my intention of writing again this week, however, we are getting very close to a decision on Aldi, our super slueth will let us know as soon as they get the information.
    One of the great problems of our time is, information, you might just disagree, well if the media find it can make money then you will be bombarded with facts and figures etc.
    If it is a local issue, how does one obtain any information?
    The Boards forum provides a facility which is unique, so many subjects are covered and it assists people to interact with like minded souls.
    Our Captain Havoc makes sure that threads do not wander out of context and no one uses insulting language etc.
    Therefore our problem in Callan, probably has very little interest in Kilkenny or Thomastown say, but to us it is important, we need an alternative shopping facility, but someone is trying to stop progress, but again you might not see it as such.
    There is no reason why Aldi should not be allowed to come to Callan, there has been a great deal of residential development, up to recently, but no development in shopping facilities, even the small shops have gone, but that is a natural trend here everyone wants one stop shopping and of course the inability of matching supermarket prices.
    Aldi and Lidl both provide fresh quality food at lower prices than the mainstream provider's, yes sometimes they try to match the prices, but usually such discounts tend to disappear after a while.
    So Boards.ie is and hopefully will always be a source of information untainted by editorial greed, perhaps not fair but there is a need to creat money to keep publications going.
    Well the weather is hardly summer is it, never mind enjoy the weekend and as always my sincere regards to you all. Foxy

Hi everyone, is this the week we find out if our town is to stagnate or progress?
    To us in Callan it is important, and it is nothing to do with Aldi in particular, it could have been Lidl or Tesco or even our Irish Dunnes, no it is choice, the ability to make a decision as where we are going to shop.
    Whilst there are some who do not understand why we have maintained this thread, and naturally everyone's opinion is respected, the subject would have died, there is no media frenzy, nothing from our elected representatives.
    Perhaps the combining of the town and county forum's has helped, difficult to gauge, however one thing is for certain Aldi is no Supervalu, well staff wise it isn't, there is an old saying you never appreciate what you had until you haven't got it.
    We think our supervalu staff are superior to any other store in the area, we know the short comings of the store, and stock etc, Yes the ability to choose will be welcome, freedom of choice, but Supervalu could have helped themselves more than they have.
    No one wants short dated food and sales people should not be allowed to leave short dated food on shelves, this is not our staff.
    Equally I was in Aldi last week and they could not make up their mind as to what till I should use, chaos, if i hadn't gone for a specific item, i would have walked out.
    Finger's crossed, Sincere regards and condolences to those who have had a sad loss. Foxy

A little sad today, if the information gleaned last night is correct, it appears Aldi will not becoming to our town, welcome to stagnation, goodbye progress.
    The information came from a previously unknown source.
    I hope it is incorrect but if not, there will not be any further point continuing this thread, but before saying goodbye we will make another check.
    Fingers crossed, sincere regards, Foxy

Just spoke to a lady in An Bord Pleanala a few mins ago after reading Foxy's post, a decision has been made.

The Decision has not been made public yet - if the decision goes out in todays post anyone can ring tomorrow and be given the details over the phone.

01 8588100 and ask for County Kilkenny and the Reference No is 239697

Please God Foxy's informant is incorrect on this occasion.

ALDI was granted permission yesterday with conditions ..............

Thank God

NHG you are a dream thanks a million and to everyone else who supported us, will be out looking for the digger, oh happy days.
    Will be back just not sure what to do next, thanks again, Foxy

Well, the end of a saga, thanks to all those who supported the cause and of course our super sleuth NHG, and curiouskid.
    Let us hope that with the ability to choose where we shop, more people will stop in Callan rather than make the journey to Kilkenny or clonmel
    also one hopes Supervalu will now get it's act together as more shopper's will be using the store.
    I actually love the store for all it's faults, though much of this is due to the fantastic attitude of the staff.
    To a degree shopping will be cheaper, though, just watch you don't over spend, I get carried away sometimes, but most of all I love looking for Irish made products, Aldi are quite good in that respect, not saying supervalu isn't.
    One thing, no one sells bread like Billy Keogh's, and there is a good selection of organic or free range meats/chickens, changing the subject.
    We will keep an eye open for any more news.
    So till then you are all brilliant, thanks, Foxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

How have Aldi got planning and Tesco could not...

Well Mousehouse, the honest answer is that I do not no. However, I would suggest there is a great difference between the two stores.
    It is only a personal opinion, with Tesco we would have probably lost Supervalu, it is an all enbracing kind of organisation.
    As you know we have some small businesses in Callan, which we really would not like to lose, no doubt you are thinking but Aldi.
    Aldi does not necessarily sell the same amount of lines as Supervalu, and one hopes they will supplement each other, having Aldi will bring more shoppers to Callan, no longer necessary to go to Kilkenny or clonmel, which in turn will give supervalu more trade.
    One has only to go to Loughboy to see how busy Supervalu is, also the lowering of prices especially at this time is good for us, though the shops margins are being squeezed.
    Perhaps someone might be able to give a more technical explanation as to the reasons.
    Thanks for being with us, sincere regards, Foxy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mousehouse wrote: »
    How have Aldi got planning and Tesco could not...

In short, Tesco only applied once and gave up.

Aldi on the other hand applied first on Windgap road (a far more suitable site imho then the approved site) and this was approved, then appealed by the interested partys and then rejected.

Aldi then applied to the current site which again was approved but once again appealed by the interested partys (hello Supervalue!) but this time it got through.

Honestly had to laugh at some of supervalue's pathetic suggestions for alternative sites.....1. the old co-op site in Green Street (imagine the traffic chaos this would cause) and 2. the back of supervalue's own carpark (given its already full with supervalue's customer's/workers then this again would be idiotic).

its just a shame the more better site on the Windgap road wasn't approved as Aldi being at the Weststreet/Chapel Lane by-pass junction is going to cause problems imho with traffic esp on chapel lane which is bad as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Where will the new Aldi shop be in Callan as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Here afaik, open to correction.

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

ft9 wrote: »

This is correct

Thanks for the photograph, should save it for prosperity, Callan before and after.
    I hear that the Co-op is enlarging the petrol station, which is good news, they should pick up more customer's, and what with the price of fuel dropping, t'is good for us.
    Must find out if there is an anticipated date for Aldi to open, there is concern that it will make a difference to Callan.
    Without doubt, the place should be busier than it has ever been.
    Next thing is a ring road from the new line to the by-pass, so that any heavy traffic does not have to come through town, perhaps our councillor's might take that on board.
    Have and enjoy the sunny weather, regards as always , Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

ft9 wrote: »

That's a good site, they get the passing traffic on the main road too.

well it looks like the store will open early 2013, according to Aldi this morning, so there you go.But of course they might try for Christmas and not say just in case.
    At least it is on the way with definate time schedules.
    we will keep an eye on the site, but to everyone my thanks and this will be the end of my posts, will of course miss you and the encouragement.
    Till the next time happy shopping. Foxy

Hi, just to keep you up to speed, Aldi Brass were inspecting the site this morning, two from Ireland one from the UK and an engineer, presume he is with the contractors.
    So it looks like being a quick job, hurrah jobs for Callan.
    Foxy

Can we please have a petition for Tesco now:) its madness Kilkenny doesnt have a Tesco:confused: the prices in Supervalu are crazy and Superquinn is no better, i do some shopping in Aldi or Lidl but sometimes there is some stuff i wont buy out of there and having a Tesco here would be great. Spending 30/50 quid in Supervalu or Superquinn would get you SFA.

• Advertisement

well if you want to petition for Tesco why dont you start it,considering recently you wanted this post closed i think you have a cheek

Advertisement