Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI for Callan - again!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

mefynn wrote: »
    well if you want to petition for Tesco why dont you start it,considering recently you wanted this post closed i think you have a cheek

Haha i have cheek, fair play to ya your a cracker, in relation to this thread i asked why it was still open when only one person was posting in it and i was basically informed that Foxy was doing a good job on keeping people who were interested in the issue up to date which is fair enough if thats the way it is i think youll find i didnt mention again about the thread being closed as i then knew that it was a good source of interest for people.

The petition for a Tesco store is not actually something that would work for kilkenny as im sure Tesco arent really bothered about being here so i was messing with that comment. So im sure to your disappointment i WONT be starting a petition for a Tesco store anytime soon but if YOU feel like doing then go for it sure ill support ya from the get go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Waterford has three Tesco's and all they want is a M&S, which isn't great either.

Having shopped in Tesco's for around 8 years when I lived in Waterrford I can tell you its not going to make your shop any cheaper then Aldi/Lidl. I can tell you Tesco is not the be all and end all of everything,
    S28382 wrote: »
    The petition for a Tesco store is not actually something that would work for kilkenny as im sure Tesco arent really bothered about being here so i was messing with that comment.

ah but thats where your wrong,
    Tesco were bothered with Kilkenny, infact back in 2008 they wanted to build in Callan but supervalue objected in the same manner as they did with Aldi however Tesco lost the appeal

I'm pretty sure they also looked to build elsewhere in Kilkenny but again the mafia that is Dunnes/supervalue objected

Cabaal wrote: »
    Waterford has three Tesco's and all they want is a M&S, which isn't great either.

Having shopped in Tesco's for around 8 years when I lived in Waterrford I can tell you its not going to make your shop any cheaper then Aldi/Lidl. I can tell you Tesco is not the be all and end all of everything,

ah but thats where your wrong,
    Tesco were bothered with Kilkenny, infact back in 2008 they wanted to build in Callan but supervalue objected in the same manner as they did with Aldi however Tesco lost the appeal

I'm pretty sure they also looked to build elsewhere in Kilkenny but again the mafia that is Dunnes/supervalue objected

I know Tesco tried Kilkenny and they didnt get in but their lack of effort in trying for it now is non existent, there is 4 Tescos in Waterford city and 1 in Tramore so it is a good store for people to use and the one of the reasons why there is so many of them in Waterford is because they are all good well known brands that most people want and their stores are all busy with the exception of 1.

I never said that they were the be all and end all of everything nor do i think they are, i think it would be good for them to be here in KK and if there was such an appetite for an Aldi surely there would be one for a Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

personally I wouldnt support Tesco (my choice) and its not really about the shop (Tescos Dunnes etc) its about choice and value for money and not being ruled by a minority.Thumbs up to Aldi for staying with it and I for one will be shopping there

• Registered Users Posts: 39,305 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Aldi's site in Callan...
    ft9 wrote: »
    Here afaik, open to correction.
    I knew that field was being kept by somebody with an eye to the future. That was prime dev land during the boom and must've been worth a fortune, yet not a sod was turned. Perhaps the owner has changed.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

accorrding to those who know Aldi own the site, paid quite dear for it by all accounts, hoping to see some construction start soon, trouble is getting quite used to going into Kilkenny, Superquinn actually, Will nev er forgive Fergal for selling the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭nhg

Diggers on the Aldi site this morning :D

Nice to see local contractors there clearing the site.

Oh, excellent. I can expect Aldi Minestrone for late Autumn/start of Winter, then. Actually, I would prefer Lidl as a first one there, but Aldi is fine - just they don't stock some stuff I like that Lidl does.
    Otoh, the whole range of Aldi stuff it perfectly good - well, most of it.

NHG -Thanks for the info was not in Callan to-day, big sigh of relief, it was a long job but we got there in the end, many thanks to you for the support, see you in Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 8 curiouskid

Enjoy Aldi people of Callan don't forget you're little supermarket that has been there for you, accommodated you where best we could, where staff are polite and mannerly and want you to stay in the shop and prepared to have a chat with you at the checkout. You WON'T get that in Aldi, all they want is you to be in and out with out even a smile. Remember us specially ordering in stuff, or having fresh rolls for your child's communion/ confirmation ready at the time you request. Because you won't get that at ALDI. Shame its come to this, where I actually dread going into work to have yet another customer tell me how much cheaper a product is in ALDI, I know but I don't make the price and I frankly don't care. All you are doing is making me hate my job more than I already do. But it pays the bills and with a fake smile on my face I go in there day in day out listening to people giving out about the place, for once don't tell the staff tell the management its up to them to make the changes not us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

i know how hard it is to go into a job you dont like but be grateful you have a job,do any of us like our jobs ? I feel i must say though I shop often in my local Aldi and the service is quick and fast moving but the staff are lovely and chatty,on one occassion i was looking for an item and they sourced it from 1 of their other stores and got it sent to Kilkenny for me,nowhere is perfect,but we have a right to choice and anyone dealing with the public have to listen to complaints.

Well curiouskid, how sad your post is, though there is a great deal of truth in what you say.
    Of course some things will be cheaper, this is what discounter's are all about, you probably do not remember Callan without Supervalu, much the same was said about the new store coming, it closed shops that had been there for year's, it was the great new world of supermarket's.
    However, we are talking about having a choice in Callan, what I expect to happen is that there will be no need to go to Kilkenny, other than for a change of scenery.
    I shop in all of the supermarket's, despite my Aldi for Callan it does not criticise Supervalu, in fact it does the reverse there is much praise, especially the staff, more than I can say about the staff of Aldi in Loughboy.
    There are many things Aldi do not stock that supervalu does, one area they fall down on is greengrocery, despite the shop being tiny Supervalu are a shining example of how greengrocery should be, Aldi haven.t a butcher, Aldi has no fish counter, Aldi doesn't stock corned beef in a tin,
    Aldi doesn't stock Connacht Gold products and one could add more,
    I like Kehoe's bread, I like fresh rolls, Aldi doesn't do them.
    You must not go to work with a heavy heart, lift up your spirits, and tell the moaner's well yes I expect so.
    Of coursae when it opens there will be a surge of new customer;s then it is down to the managers to counteract with price cuts.
    So there you are we need supervalu and supervalu need us.
    See you soon Foxy

I'll still be going into SV as much as I am now - at least once a week, and going to Aldi as often as I do now - once a week or fortnight.
    The only difference is, I won't have to travel several miles to get to Aldi, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭nhg

Exactly my sentiments too Dan Jaman, I think (hope) that when Aldi arrives in town that it will also draw a larger crowd in from the hinterlands whom at present are shopping in either Kilkenny, Clonmel or Carrick on Suir along with our local Callan residents.

I know personally I couldn't do my full grocery shop in Aldi (not a lidl fan personally) or in Supervalu in Callan (due to lack of stock/choice) so when I travel to whichever Aldi that suits me I also get the bulk of my other grocery requirements in either Supervalu or Dunnes and even the odd time in Tesco if in Clonmel, Carlow or Waterford and just the day to day items in Callan which is not something that I am proud of. I assume that I am like most people whom dislike grocery shopping & can't wait for the day that I can have all my grocery shopping done locally & just go to Kilkenny/Clonmel etc for clothes shopping, window shopping etc.

I would hope that Dermot & Martin would look at Aldi's arrival as a chance to get their act together and maybe get in some professional to see where their current stock levels/choice could improve and be ready to embrace this new era of shoppers in Callan.

Supervalu in Callan has so so many good points between friendly helpful staff, large carpark, The nice butcher counter, the wonderful array of green grocery, the long opening hours, ATM etc but there are a few items that strangely I can get in Supervalu in Loughboy that I can't get in Supervalu in Callan despite asking numerous times if they could be put on their order list, items that I purchase weekly, not just when the occasional time, items that I actually get into the car and drive to Loughboy for!

ps

the same applies to the other local shops in Callan - time to clean up your act and be ready to embrace the new wave of shoppers or get left behind as you do at present, the choice is yours & thankfully ours as well.

Well said Nhg, perfect words to describe the situation, it opens up a whole new era for Callan shopper's and also for those who wanted more choice and dashed off to Clonmel, Carrick and Kilkenny.
    I actually enjoy grocery shopping, everytime I go in for one or two things it takes me an age.
    Yes Dermot and Martin you have three months roughly to make our Supervalu the best in not only Kilkenny but all the neighbouring counties, you have the best staff, they need to be looked after.
    When are you going to do on line shopping? Yes another commitment, someone said I could not believe it that your staff did not get discount shopping, none of my business, probably, but if it is true, shame on you, we appreciate your staff, to us they are imortant, without them you would be in some bother.
    Enough said, I want to shop in Callan, instead of pictures of Dermot why not of "the team" all the boys and girls.
    M ost people do not appreciate what they have until they no longer have it.
    Love the staff, love the store, Foxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Well said Nhg, perfect words to describe the situation, it opens up a whole new era for Callan shopper's and also for those who wanted more choice and dashed off to Clonmel, Carrick and Kilkenny.
    I actually enjoy grocery shopping, everytime I go in for one or two things it takes me an age.
    Yes Dermot and Martin you have three months roughly to make our Supervalu the best in not only Kilkenny but all the neighbouring counties, you have the best staff, they need to be looked after.
    When are you going to do on line shopping? Yes another commitment, someone said I could not believe it that your staff did not get discount shopping, none of my business, probably, but if it is true, shame on you, we appreciate your staff, to us they are imortant, without them you would be in some bother.
    Enough said, I want to shop in Callan, instead of pictures of Dermot why not of "the team" all the boys and girls.
    M ost people do not appreciate what they have until they no longer have it.
    Love the staff, love the store, Foxy
    Well done Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 41 homestyle

Heard a rumour that works are delayed due to a find..Anybody hear anything!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

homestyle wrote: »

Nope, but to be honest it wouldn't surprise me given the area (near enough to the Motte), also they found a fulacht fia during the by-pass construction back in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Cabaal wrote: »
    homestyle wrote: »

Nope, but to be
    honest it wouldn't surprise me given the are (near enough to the Motte), also they found a fulacht fia during the by-pass construction back in the 90's.

Yip. They've discovered an ancient toilet and town dump.

(probably no waste licence for that)

Archeologist busy recording in all weathers..

Hi, thought about time we had another go, our Supervalu seems to have fallen in love with both Aldi and Lidl by the number of adverts in and around the store.
    This is the same price or we have this cheaper etc, to be honest it is very little to do with pricing, it is the fact that there will be a choice.
    Yes, the discounter's have made our super markets realise they cannot charge ridiculous prices anymore, the Irish shopper is now more than ever aware of what is value for money.
    However I hear people say ah Aldi and Lidl do not sell well known branded goods, then there is the thing that both are selling the Irish products and protecting irish jobs.
    Supervalu may well charge a few pence more than Aldi and lidl, you won't find the quality of staff that we have in Supervalu and you might well miss the quality of Supervalu's service.
    Yes, our Callan shop is a bit pokey, a bit run down, but it is high in character, the bread despite my misgivings about the temptation of little finger's touching rolls etc, Aldi doesn't even come near, then my favourite the veggy department, it is no contest, Supervalu is way ahead, selection and quality, in fact I cannot think of another supermarket that matches Callan.
    Meat and things, nope, supervalu is way in front, we have a real live butcher, good ole nigel, he is there to help, neither Aldi or Lidl have one, equally the fish, you can get advice and it is delivered fresh, try talking to a carton or cardboard package.
    You will be told Lidl or Aldi don't sell branded goods, this could be a big issue because many of the famous names have been sold to other manufacturer's.
    Take one product HP sauce, many homes use it, as old as the hills, made in the UK, the midland vinegar Co, it was then sold ended up with Danone and now it is Heinz and made in the Netherlands.
    Oxo, another family favourite, it was made in Southwark in london, Oxo seems to have gone all except the name, it is owned by Premier foods from Long sutton in lincolnshire, where they are made, who knows?
    If you look at a lot of well known products Premier Foods will be on the package somewhere, then good old Cadbury, owned by Kraft at the last count, many of the chocolate biscuits were made under licence in Moreton Wirral cheshire.
    Then we come to Aldi and the Irish food, jams and marmalade with our flag on, we actually do not grow oranges, we no longer produce sugar, perhaps we make the bottles.
    The best one was yesterday I b ought a garlic bread in Supervalu, it was reduced or selling for a euro and had Kerrygold as the main title, buy Irish Foxy, it said it had genuine Kerrygold Irish butter, great on examinbation at home there in very tiny print was "Made in Germany".
    Become a food detective, like where does the bacon from Callan bacon originate? Is Irish cheese what it says? Is Irish meat, Irish meat or does it become Irish when it arrives here?
    We have a lot to thank supervalu for and hope it remains that way, but it will be nice to have a choice.
    Remember the grass looks greener on the other side but is it?
    Foxy

• Advertisement

Despite our chase for aldi, which will give us choice, we cannot let Supervalu go down hill, t'is up market they should be aiming.
    However, unless Musgraves can do something about their deliveries, they will bne sending people into Aldi's arms, yesterday about 11am, I was disappointed to see the cold veg store looking bare, especially as it is aloways kept spic and spam.
    Milk, joke, there was one carton of supervalu low fat milk, seeing I won't pay avonmore prices I would have been off to Aldi, the cold food fridge display looked more like it had been raveged, very sparse for somethings, go round the otherside ham, well just.
    Come on Dermot and Martin get to grips with Musgraves, when Aldi come you cannot let the stock down, we depend on you both, so do the staff.
    The packet of cereal Golden Nuggets had been opened, but not the actrual bag inside, there wasn't another, I like granola, is there any, no, Aldi sell it,
    We want to support supervalu help us for goodness sake, you can't sit back, Help the people, help yourselves and help Callan

Despite our chase for aldi, which will give us choice, we cannot let Supervalu go down hill, t'is up market they should be aiming.
    However, unless Musgraves can do something about their deliveries, they will bne sending people into Aldi's arms, yesterday about 11am, I was disappointed to see the cold veg store looking bare, especially as it is aloways kept spic and spam.
    Milk, joke, there was one carton of supervalu low fat milk, seeing I won't pay avonmore prices I would have been off to Aldi, the cold food fridge display looked more like it had been raveged, very sparse for somethings, go round the otherside ham, well just.
    Come on Dermot and Martin get to grips with Musgraves, when Aldi come you cannot let the stock down, we depend on you both, so do the staff.
    The packet of cereal Golden Nuggets had been opened, but not the actrual bag inside, there wasn't another, I like granola, is there any, no, Aldi sell it,
    We want to support supervalu help us for goodness sake, you can't sit back, Help the people, help yourselves and help Callan

I think the state of the shop is down to the owners/manager.

Well, I'm just tucking into a SupaValu special of 5 pork chops for a fiver and an oven-ready vegetable tray. I have two of the chops and half the tray. Total cost for a good lunchtime nosh; 3 quid and there's enough to do tomorrow's lunch too.
    So, when SV put their mind to it, the bargains can be there - like the SV own-brand breaded fish - that's been a staple of mine for a year now.
    I will be shopping at Aldi, for sure, simply because it's so handy compared to K/K, but I'll still be going in to SV for other basics - Aldi don't sell Spam (or equivalent) for some reason; mind you, I don't think SV do, either.

You quite right there are many things Aldi do not stock that Supervalu does.
    The question of Aldi is what you say to save going to Kilkenny, which in turn suggests our supervalu is going to be far busier than before.
    It also means that they have to get to grips with deliveries, you cannot have empty shelves, even without Aldi.
    Pricewise you have to remember the supermarket, any supermarket is not your financial friend, it is there job to extract as much money from the customer as possible.
    If there are bargains to be had you might well have to search, Supervalu tend to put them at the end of isles, so check your prices, equally mistakes do happen at the till when they have not been updated with lower prices.
    Happy shopping, Foxy

Saturday, Supervalu Callan.
    Well if the boy's Dermot and Martin really are serious about keeping their customer's, they are going a funny way about it.
    Normally the greengrocery part of the store is meticulously cared for, oh dear the young lady responsible must have been off on saturday, had Aldi been open, even I would have run round to get my greengrocery.
    There were empty shelves, there is no way one can expect to succeed, Saturday is a busy shopping day to find it in the shambles it was, both disappointing and no wonder everyone goes to Kilkenny.
    One must realise Callan shopper's are no longer at the bottom of the pile, they want and expect the same as those who live in Kilkenny or c.lonmel.
    We had all the chat about the small shop keeper's but Supervalu's management are not much better, come on we expect and demand better than your current effort's.
    Some people can shop on Friday or the day's deliveries arrive, there are many who only have Saturday, are they suggesting you must shop when it suits them? I have tried shopping in the evening, hardly worth the effort.
    By not looking after your customer's what are you doing for your staff?
    We both depend on your expertise, come on.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone had been around the Aldi building site and buried a few historical artifacts... :)

Dan Jaman, that is a wicked thought, but on the other hand it might be a way to stop the coming of competition.
    However another visit to our only store last night, gave the impression that the boy's could have given up the fight, apart from the lack of greengrocery,l the down at mouth look of the fish and meat, and wor4se of all the lack of checkout facilities, queue's at 6.30, no one really wants that after a hard days work.
    Dan Jamamn might have hit the nail or historic atrifact on the head.
    Have a super day, it's raining, why didn't I mow the lawn when it was dry?

Come on Supervalu, why can't we have a freshly stocked store on monday instead of waiting until mid-day Tuesday for stock to arrive from Musgraves.
    Aldi is supposed to be an alternative, a freedom of choice but the way it is going it looks like Supervlu will be there to give a choice from aldi.
    For goodness sake why can't we get fresh deliveries Sunday ready for Monday other stores appear to, i can't shop in a store that is lacking in fresh veg etc, I want to shop when i want not at the whim of a store owner.
    Is it any wonder customers from Callan can be seen in kilkenny and clonmel, I flatly refuse to buy stock that has sat in the store over the weekend, unless of course it was marked down, and it isn't.
    Grief, the staff are dependent on you to manage the store, you are reputed to be the experts, come on, the checkouts are bad enough, how old are they?
    By the way the fresh bread section on saturday looked like it had been hit by an avalanche, sorry not good enough, no wonder people want Aldi, the way it's going they will want Lidl as well,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LYND

Can anyone tell me if they have heard when they will start the store building. An Electicial station and a clearing has been made further down the site, but no thers signs of movement. Any updates?

• Advertisement

if it is anything to go by, portaloo's have been delivered, this would indicate something is about to happen, so hold on we might just have something positive shortly.
    The groundworks take w hile and getting everyone together a bit of a headache, Callan might just be store number 100.
    When oh when is our Supervalu going to get it's act together, we need you, your veg might be dearer but it is good organic, well some is.
    Aren't they lucky it isn't Dunnes, down at Davis Road today, superb shop.
    Keep watching this space bye for now Foxy

Advertisement