Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI for Callan - again!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have to say I'm concerned about how Aldi is going to impact on traffic in the area,

To start with Chapel Lane is completely unsuitable for two-way traffic, the only way this can be resolved is to widen the road and the only way to do this is knock down the priests house to enable the road to be widened at that bottleneck.

I believe given this can't be done then Chapel Lane should be made a one way street as its going to be silly season otherwise, Gardai will also need to do something about the silly parking situation in Weststreet as this street is going to get even busier!

This junction is also going to turn into a bottle neck even more, to help this it should be widened to allow a left and right turning car to come out onto the bypass....instead of a right turning car holding up everyone for ages like at present.
    imag0550burst003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Yes, they will need to do something quickly to avoid utter confusion, West Street is dire, especially when the coaches come down or go up and people park on the corner of Green St.
    Your picture, very good, shows what is a stupid turn to get to the church, after coming off the by-pass to do a quick right turn, which requires a good look for traffic coming from west St and also in case someone wants to turn right out of chapel lane.
    Twill be interesting to say the least, though the entrance to Aldi on the Waterford road is quite exciting, it is akin to a chicane on a race track.
    In truth the powers that decided to put Aldi in this spot lacked vision, the original site for Tesco at the top of the town would have probably been ideal.
    It is very similar to putting an amusement arcade in the middle of kilkenny high st, ridiculous.
    But there again it gives us something to bitch about other than the weather, parking at St lukes etc.
    Very good point, when is the priest moving?

I think we have almost come to the end of this thread, Aldi will be with us shortly and at long last the people of Callan and surrounding villages will have a genuine choice without driving to Kilkenny, Carrick and Clonmel.
    Supervalu and Aldi should compliment each other, though initially there may be a surge of customers going to Aldi.
    It was suggested that a comparison of the prices might be a good idea, I think not, Supervalu tried it with Tesco and dunnes, putting up notices same price as, then they tried Aldi and Lidl's, there was a very limited number of items that a comparison could be applied to, which made one wonder, what about the rest?
    It seems supervalu and cuisine de france have fallen out, so apparently it is supervalu only baked breads.
    Talking of breads, Billy Keogh, I know some will say it is expensive, yes but it is the real thing baked in a traditional manner, using quality flour etc, and there are so few real bakers left, if you haven't tried the rustic toasted you have missed a fantastic treat, using real butter.
    All i will say is what do you expect for less than a euro? Even if you only do it once a week, you won't regret it.
    Not leaving john our butcher out, he has offers the others can only dream about, it is genuine fresh meat with a low carbon footprint.
    One of the companies involved in the DNA fracus has a small management jet plane, people are asking how many horsepower is it?
    We might make one last post but in any case thanks for all your support it has been great funm. Fopxy

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Talking of breads, Billy Keogh, I know some will say it is expensive, yes but it is the real thing baked in a traditional manner, using quality flour etc, and there are so few real bakers left, if you haven't tried the rustic toasted you have missed a fantastic treat, using real butter.
    Keogh's bread is fantastic. Not just the bread, but all the other stuff.
    One of the companies involved in the DNA fracus has a small management jet plane, people are asking how many horsepower is it?
    Pounds of thrust, not HP, so that makes it moot.
    Shaft HP if a coupled turbine, but that's irrelevant.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Cabaal wrote: »
    I have to say I'm concerned about how Aldi is going to impact on traffic in the area,

Is one way system plausible? In from the by-pass and out via chapel lane or green view? Would solve the issue with parking in West St. but I don't think Chapel Lane having 100% or more increase in traffic is feasible. Would also cause issue with more traffic needing to go down Bridge St. too and of course that was the reason the by-pass was built in the 1st place so probably not the best of ideas.

There shouldn't be a much difference with traffic coming off the by-pass to visit the store though which is one plus i.e. traffic that will enter and leave via the by-pass

Is the priest not in the parochial house beside Mount Carmel or are both residences being used? Even widening that road is probably not a great idea since it's through a residential area and can be hazardous trying to get out at the junction beside the chapel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Foxy i'm going to miss your posts when Aldi does open, i'm learning more about Callan and the local baker and butcher. i hope you start a new thread for Tesco for Kilkenny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Phil MaCrackin

Well guys, I never thought when I opened this thread, that it'd gather 29 pages of comments!! It's been great following Aldi's progress, and before long we'll be buying welding rods & cabbages in the same shopping basket!!!

Well thanks for the comments, it has been great fun, and no doubt the Tesco one might appear.
    I think that is one of the joys of both Aldi and Lidl is the centre isle, you never know what is on offer, You would be amazed at the things that have come home, which we had no intention of buying, and in fairness it is all good quality.
    I can remember going to a hypermarket in france that sold tyres and exhausts plus of course everything else one could cram into a shopping trolley. That was the year i sent everyone a french christmas card.
    Not quite the end but, thanks all the same.

dan, whatever way it is all just one big "Nightmare".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭nhg

Looking at the positions of where the slipform has been poured it seems that we will have a way in and a separate way out which should be a help at least towards traffic management - interesting to see how it will all work.

I have to agree on Billy Keogh's bread, delicious.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Phil MaCrackin

I only hope that the slipform kerb they're installing across from Aldi, doesn't come out too far and prevent that 'informal' left lane thats so handy turning left out onto the bypass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

nhg wrote: »

I have to agree on Billy Keogh's bread, delicious.........

Can't beat the rustic :)

How the site has grown in a few days, at one stage it was hard to work out where everything was going. I just can't wait to get my shopping trolley through those doors.
    By the way if you haven't shopped aldi before, their trolleys only take 2euro coins, and you will definately need a trolley.
    However beneficial Aldi will be to Callan, they do not stand a chance with billy keogh and clares bread, I know i keep on about Billy and Clare but when you are fed on real bread as a child, and then you find the little baker has gone and all you are left with is, what is the word to describe the so called bread sold in supermarkets for next to nothing, well perhaps we will move on, you will appreciate our Callan baker.
    It is a bit the same with john murphy, real butchers just disappear due to the belief that Supermarket packages are the thing, they are not, you won't get the weekend specials that john does, you can't watch the supermarket mince the meat, and most of the supermarkets would be hard pressed to give you any help regarding cooking times etc.
    I keep forgetting our friday fish man, norman, i shouldn't because we have fish almost every friday, you get fish that is so fresh you can almost taste the sea, and when cooked you will appreciate that freshness.
    The carbon footprint is tiny, it hasn't travelled round the island before getting to Callan.
    What is the difference between god and a pilot? God doesn't think he is a pilot.
    Good luck and we are getting close to the end, Foxy

Nice to see that ALDI in Kilkenny (Waterford road) have new shopping trolley's in which are a nice small size, I hate those large ones, I find it so hard to unload them as they are very deep and height is not on my side, so usually used the green bags as I went around - of course ended up buying lots more than I went in for.

I hope Callan will have some of the small trolley's as well.

It is nearly time to say goodbye to this thread, I reckon it has been both interesting and entertaining, which is all down to your input.
    Personally I still see a plac e for Supervalu, provided they come back down to earth and stop putting things where you don't expect them.
    Customer care is still important, I like many other's youngsters purchased Mother's Day cards, it wasn't wrapped in cellophane, did they put in a bag at the check out? No it was virtually thrown off the conveyor, don't you have a bag, blank look.
    Will there be look outs to see who has defected to Aldi?
    Fun time in Callan

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Time will tell what will happen with SV but at least there is competition now. Gonna miss you're posts Foxy ;-)

Hi there, the clock is ticking, t'is getting exciting. I hope the people of Callan myself included really do enjoy the opportunity of choice with Aldi.
    The truth is the action taken to stop any competition cominjg to Callan really back-fired on the perpertrators, because callan people went and shopped in Kilkenny, Clonmel and Carrick.
    And many from out-lying villages did not bother to come to Callan, but now we do not have to travel.
    Reading some of the other boards about Rip-offs in Supermarkets, we need to keep a watch out in Callan, special mention is made on products showing this is an offer, but make sure what you pick up is the one on offer, other wise it can cost.
    Dairy seems to be a pitfall, yogurts, Supervalu do a very tasty one for 89c or buy four for 3.00euro, which is good valu, but you have to make sure the offer is on, otherwise 4.00 almost, then there is a little jar with a label Blackwater Valley, which one associates with Co Cork, look at the product code they come from spain.
    Another of my pet things is garlic bread, our store has displayed Kerrygold on garlic bread, you are eating truly irish butter, are we because if you inspect the wrapper there is a "Made in Germany" declaration.
    I am not a great biscuit eater but we purchased a similar variety in Lidl and supervalu, different names of course, Lidl was considerably cheaper but investigation of the two wrappers showed they were identical products from the same manufacturer.
    Aldi yes but do not forget your own Billy and John and Norman's fresh fish.
    It pays to shop around for potatoes, I got roosters for over 2.20 for a kg in supervalu, there were others for a reduced price but beware of pot's that are starting to go green, avoid them they will not be nice.
    Well on that cheery note, i am off to Aldi in Kilkenny, see you soon. Foxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

where an Aldi opens a lidl will follow:)

Only those who shop or have shopped in Superquinn will know this, I know what is wrong, Supermarkets do not smell, the aroma of freshly baked bread, or just brewed coffee.
    Apart from superquinn they are clinically dead, no soul, sometimes the fish counter might whiff but that isn't actually nice.
    If only we had a niche type shop, selling fresh bread and brewed coffee, it is not even olde worlde.
    There used to be a shop in Henley on thames where one could, invariably did, partake of a coffee and a fresh scone whilst contemplating what else to buy.
    Burgers bakery in Marlow was even more difficult to get out of, real food that is what we are missing. Sorry about the nostalgia, guess you could be right Lidl will no doubt follow.

The west street entrance to Callan is starting to look great now, the road seems to be so much wider.

• Advertisement

Yesit has made a great improvement to that little area, I am wondering now if LIDL will follow, once again it caould only be good for Callan.
    The only shop to worry about would be Supervalu, but if one thinks hard about it, they are living in the seventies and eighties, putting individual things on shelves apart from being soul destroying is labour intensive, the system developed by Aldi and Lidl doesn't detract from the overall display.In addition one must keep moving forward, yes I know jobs are important and with greater turn over there is a need for staff perhaps not so much on the shop floor but behind the scenes.
    The Dolly's pushed round the shop need filling to start with, the box method is far cleaner than shelf stacking, have you ever wrestled with a jar of something that is stuck or you are frightened it is going to fall.
    If you look back where the grocer served everyone in turn day's not on in this mad world, the current Supervalu ide3a where it is difficult to find things really doesn't work.
    The one area that they do well, maybe because of Erin who looks after the fruit and veg, not saying the prices it is a management decision not staff, but the overall standard is better than most of the large supermarkets, except Lidl who run the most enjoyable veg and fruit section.
    I keep wondering if there is any more to say on the subject but then find reasons for continuing.
    Thanks everyone, it is fun, Foxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Lidl will follow and there wont be 5min distance between them. Lidl would rather have 50% of the business than let Aldi have 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

WIZE wrote: »
    Lidl will follow and there wont be 5min distance between them. Lidl would rather have 50% of the business than let Aldi have 100%.

Hope you are right,and will put the final nail in SV's coffin..

According to reports Callan will be Aldi's 100th store in Ireland, a sort of landmark store, great.
    I went shopping in aldi yesterday, price wise it was something else, one wonders why we have been paying, if you like, Supervalu prices for so long.
    Okay the normal branded items do not come up, but as we have said you are really on ly paying for a name from the past, the original owners of the trade mark are long gone.
    We then went to Supervalu in Loughboy and one would be lead to believe it was a completely different store to our one in Callan, was it a dream, alas no,we have been the poor relations in Callan for so long.
    This is one of those situations where one has to go and look at the prices, in both stores, and then make your mind up which one to buy at.
    A word in your ear, i have been reading about geneteically engineered Salmon, whether it has arrived in ireland i do not know but apparently Aldi is refusing to sell it, so keep an eye out, is anything sacred these days.
    Waiting for the grand opening, see you there, Foxy

Thank goodness Aldi do not do loyalty cards and the like, just everyday low prices.
    Well our friends in Superv alu have comeout with a free 25euro shopping voucher when you collect four stamps, you get one stamp everytime you spend over 50euro in one go.
    Yes very good I worked it out it represents a 12.5% discount, not to be sneezed at, however there is no mention of multiple stamps say when you spend 110euro in one go, some might even spend more, but it seems you only get one stamp.
    However, we can't have that can we, so one puts all the shopping on the belt and watches until you get to 51euro, stop, I will pay for that, so they must give you a stamp, good so far, right start again, get to the next 51 euro, stop, you now get another stamp, and so on, if you have spent in total over 200euro which is quite easy, you should then have the four stamps for your 25euro discount.
    The card says other terms and conditions may apply, see in store for details, now these should be clearly displayed, if not they cannot be be used, so i am led to believe, probably they exclude drink and cigarettes etc, which is fair enough.
    So there you go, could be an instant discount, I think free is somewhat misleading but as long as you can get a decent discount why worry.
    Have a super easter, hopefully the weather will improve, hardly sun bathing is it,. probably snowballs, who cares it is a lovely time of year.
    Good luck Foxy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Spotted the current 25 euro promotion in Supervalue, makes me think they are worried somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Well our friends in Superv alu have comeout with a free 25euro shopping voucher when you collect four stamps, you get one stamp everytime you spend over 50euro in one go.
    Yes very good I worked it out it represents a 12.5% discount, not to be sneezed at, however there is no mention of multiple stamps say when you spend 110euro in one go, some might even spend more, but it seems you only get one stamp.
    They had the same bone-headed stamp scheme years ago, you could collect stamps towards a discount on furniture and other special offers of the hardware variety. Same thing - no matter if you spent a €100, you only got one stamp. Useless, unless the check-out person gave you more, which most of them did. Again, we see the bright ideas of managment not being thought through properly.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

It seems you can only get one stamp per week, so spending much more doesn't do you any good, the stamps are marked week one etc, pathetic because it is not giving the big shopper any incentive, someone in front of me spent almost 200euro, one stamp.
    Though an ideal thing would be to have two or three cards, and stop the till at the 51 euro, spend 153 euro get three stamps, idea eh.
    Aldi is going full blast and it looks like the grand opening will be on the date set, pity Supervalu, they will have to do something about their prices, I was looking at tinned fruit, I will speed off to Lidl or Aldi.
    We haven't mention the new Butcher shop on the estate, Paul roche has lopened up, it is sign posted but it is further round than Callan Tyres, I am told the meat is extremely good valu, he is doing family things, apparently bargains galore.
    If anyone goes there let us know what you think, Paul had the shop where john Murphy is, at one time, so he knows his meat, at least we try to keep it in Callan.
    I hope Aldi shopping in Callan is going to be great fun, see you all there.
    Foxy

The time is flying, just a little over two weeks and we will at long last have a choice of where we shop in our own town, it has been a long time coming.
    However I believe the wait will be justified in savings on fuel by not having to go to Kilkenny and the reduced price of the weekly shop.
    Though I do expect Supervalu to fight back with lower prices, we wont mention the 25euro promotion, take on.
    We have tried Aldi's alternative brands compared to the so called big names and to be honest we have found them equal in quality, no doubt made by the same company.
    I was reading an article on Aldi and apparently they operate over 7000 stores worldwide and are still expanding, I suspect Lidl is in a similar state.
    There is one point of warning, due to the price and variety in Aldi it is very easy to fill a trolley with many goodies you did not intend buying when you walked in, though having said that the ultimate price will no doubt leave you amazed as to the amount of food you have.
    But most of all enjoy your newly found freedom, despite being an Aldi shopper you will find me in Supervalu from time to time.
    I keep telling myself the thread is ending but we are still here.
    Take care and Happy shopping Foxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

i think u have issues foxy.its an aldi store not feckin disneyland!!!

Advertisement