Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI for Callan - again!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I am getting worried, what comes after Aldi, reckon it could be Lidl, providing you start the thread Phil, perhaps NHG and Dan Jaman join in, we might even get MOL involved, okay Michael O.
    Back to Tesco, look a small retailer has to go to Cash and Carry for their stock, having done a stint in Cash and Carry there is no way a small retailer can cope with a large concern, there has to be so much put on to cover running the shop and wages for himself and staff.
    I think at one time they provided brilliant service to the community, but once the supermarket appeared with low prices the writing was on the wall.
    The Brits are obsessed with anti Tesco, just look to see how many shop there, if not Tesco they go to Asda or Sainsbury or Morrisons, no one is going to throw money at the small shopkeeper unless he has found himself a niche productand manages to advertise it, just go to the Thursday market, the Hoi Poli, with the organic food which costs an arm and a leg, then pop round to Lidl and buy there organic.
    Is it any better than our John Murphy or Billy Keogh's products, they charge more so perhaps it is better, tried buying little quiches you would spend most of your grocery money in one foul swoop.
    This down to earth Ireland, a place where most people have to budget for the week's shopping, if you don't need to then you are lucky
    Just watch how popular Aldi will be, value for money, fast service and squeaky clean.
    Each to his or her own, does my local shop have a bank, no do insurance no, most of them won't deliver, Tesco does.
    Rest my case Foxy

Phil any more on the footpath from the meadows into Aldi, you posted the other day, it seems to have got lost, can you tell us more?
    have you all registered to win the 100euro, do it now go to Aldi on Facebook
    Have a great day, the clock is ticking, Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Phil MaCrackin

Well Foxy, I don't know much more tbh, only that the strip of land has been purchased from the owners of the field to allow the stone wall be pushed back, to enable a continuous path from the meadows wall, down to Aldi. Interesting thing here is, that there's an old style there where that field wall, meets the corner of the Meadows.... I'm told that there was an ancient 'Mass Path' there at the back of the Meadows wall, all the way down to West street. Wonder will the council re-instate that style to climb over the wall???????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wonder will the council re-instate that style to climb over the wall???????

I wouldn't get your hopes up,

I'd be surprised if the council even use any parts of the stone wall, they'll likely build a fence or a ugly modern wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,305 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Cabaal wrote: »
    I wouldn't get your hopes up,

I'd be surprised if the council even use any parts of the stone wall, they'll likely build a fence or a ugly modern wall.
    Some H&S knob will have conniptions over a stile.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Some H&S knob will have conniptions over a stile.

It'll need railings, lots of railings!
    maybe they can copy what they did in Tramore with the diving area?

crush1-_mg_1216-resized.jpg?w=300&h=199

Cabaal wrote: »
    It'll need railings, lots of railings!
    maybe they can copy what they did in Tramore with the diving area?

crush1-_mg_1216-resized.jpg?w=300&h=199
    Is that the area where the old sign was prohibiting ladies from using it? I was sort of glad there were some old railings there when I got the feet washed out from under me, one January.

Thank goodness you did not get washed away Dan.
    Well the nights are getting longer, the weather is getting warmer and we are getting closer to the opening of Aldi 100th in Callan.
    I met a dear lady yesterday who told me she had never shopped in Aldi, I was surprised but there again unless you have transport you would miss out big time on all this saving when you shop.
    I guess it brings home the inequality of the system, the absolute lack of public transport is a scandal, okay if you have the money for a taxi, lucky you, so how do people avail themselves of the money saving shopping, they don't unless they rely on Supervalu.
    I have a feeling there will be a lot of changes when Aldi opens, just enjoy the luxury of not having to travel any distance.
    Have a super weekend, Foxy

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

Some people on this thread have a fetish for Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

will.i.am wrote: »
    Some people on this thread have a fetish for Aldi!
    Thanks to Foxy I'm starting to get excited myself over this, even though I don't live anywhere near it!!! Keep it coming Foxy!

• Advertisement

seeing it is shop 100 perhaps we will get a celeb to officially open it, would be a great advertising ploy. Though I suspect when they open the doors the rush would sweep the celeb aside.
    I have my list of things wanted, no more having to lay on the floor in supervalu to find stock hidden at the back of shelves, have you noticed they have the front looking like the shelf is full move something and there is an empty space.
    We reckon that it is only a matter of time that Supervalu adopt Aldi and Lidl way of running a store.
    I know it may mean jobs but the cost is probably not warranted in this day and age.
    I have a helmet and my american football gear ready for Thursday, not long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Isnt Henry Shefflin opening the store???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Autosport wrote: »
    Isnt Henry Shefflin opening the store???

yes, the king is opening it :)

That is splendid news for all concerned, that alone should draw a good crowd, perhaps someone could organise picture with Henry and proceeds go to charity, only five days to go not counting the chinese grand prix, it's got nothing to do with it, but it is exciting.
    It is saturday and one is allowed to go off the rails for one day
    See you all on thursday good luck, Foxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

That is splendid news for all concerned, that alone should draw a good crowd, perhaps someone could organise picture with Henry and proceeds go to charity, only five days to go not counting the chinese grand prix, it's got nothing to do with it, but it is exciting.
    It is saturday and one is allowed to go off the rails for one day

See you all on thursday good luck, Foxy

3ow7lu.jpg

I think you can see the tills are installed in there now, it was all lit up there at 9pm last night when I passed it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭nhg

Looks like the shop is stocked at this stage.......

There'll be lots of staff training going on for the next few days.

A historic week for the people of Callan and round about, at long last we are getting a fair choice of where we shop and what we buy in the grocery line plus all of Aldi's twice a week special's.
    I think it quite apt that our store is the 100th Aldi store in Ireland, it is a landmark for both aldi and Callan.
    I am not sure Supervalu see it in the same light, though I suspect they will derive benefit from more people coming to Callan to shop, though in my opinion they are going to need to improve their standard's.
    The problem they face is they cannot afford to run out of this and that, because almost certainly it will drive customers round to Aldi.
    As written before the Aldi/Lidl principle of shopping is completely different to the Supervalu criteria, they do not unpack goods and have them stacked on shelves, one at a time, which is very labour intensive, and depends on who is doing the packing whether they push the old stock to the back and leave the new on the front, a very dodgy idea with sell by dates being on peoples minds.
    As said before okay you won't notice a familiar name on some of the products, but remember in many cases it is just a brand name which has been purchased by a company, for instance Kraft apparently now own Cadbury, Cadbury products are still sold under the brand name but made by other companies, which means yuo are paying for a name.
    Talkin g of chocolate Aldi's range of chocolate is something else, do try it.
    In fact there is nothing one would not try, I am not a drinker but according to those who know their wines are delicious and not expensive.
    I tell a lie I like sherry trifle, love it, so we usually have a bottle of sherry handy, one wine glass per trifle and alittle drop more so to speak.
    We ran out so popped into Supervalu to get a fresh supply rather than go into town, no Sherry, none, some Port but no Sherry, went in on Saturday they had one bottle on the shelf which by the look of things had been stashed at the back, couldn't see the price, so didn't bother, see would have been over Aldi's like a shot.
    Thanks for all the updates on what is happening, gosh it is exciting, can't wait to get in there with me trolley.
    Remember you need two euro coins for the trolley, and you will need a trolley they don't do baskets, okay and the best of luck or as they say in the Picairn Islands "Happy Shopping"

A historic week?, now lets not blow the whole thing out of proportion

Its pretty insulting to the town to call it a historic week, do you honestly think in 50 years time when the Callan historical society do a book about the history of Callan they'll mention the Aldi opening....because I'm pretty sure they won't.

• Advertisement

Dear Cabaal, you take me too seriously, I agree with what you say wholeheartedly, but my use of historic is suggesting that for the first time since modern Callan arrived it has a choice of shopping without the long trek to other towns etc.
    Seeing you have opened a window, do you not worry about the traffic or possible traffic problem?
    I wonder what they will write in fifty years time about Callan? Now that could be interesting.
    But thank you for letting me know maybe it was a slight presumption on my part to use historic. Foxy

It's gonna be historic indeed for Supervalu!

Well Phil, you said it and I have a feeling you are right, I have all through the thread supported Supervalu and the staff. I have stressed that we need the store or one similar, could be Lidl, but of late so many people have complained I am wondering why.
    The re-vamp did nothing to help customers, even though I am almost a daily visitor I find it difficult to find things and sometimes when i do they have a special offer in a completely different place.
    Loughboy is a success well seems to be anyway, i think thomastown is and Carrick supervalu's, but I worry about Callan, even getting checmk-out operators does ones head in, lots of people and only two people working, they have to use the phone to get help, which doesn't always come, where are the manager's.
    I have a sneaky feeling and I can be very sneaky that when they write about Callan in fifty years time, they might just mention the day the town was released from it's shackles and became a shoppers paradise, that might be a bit over the top, we need more shops for that.
    I suppose if Tesco came back, there you go Phil, Tesco for Callan
    Time for Coffee, regards from an excited and sneaky Foxy

Revamp? What revamp! They just rearranged the furniture a bit in there, nothing real has changed, it's still grubby and untidy. Maybe when there's less footfall there over the next few weeks, they'll have time to straighten the place out....

As a matter of interest do supervalu Callan sponser any of anything in the town, we know Musgraves do the tidy town thing, but does our own store have a sponsership scheme?
    I suppose we might go the whole hog does any business sponser the sports in the town, I am not including Katz or L'arche.
    There is a boxing club, John Lockes, anything else?

That's a good question you know!!! I can visualise some of the signage up in the field there, but I can't picture anything by SV. Maybe some town folk on here might know!

Yes, well I did not like to mention it, but seeing you got in, it is isn't it, have you looked at the checkouts, where is health and safety, down the side of the atm, not that I am making any criticism, just noting, but seriously I think tatty shops should be a thing of the past, surely we have moved on it is the 21st century, not the dark ages. Come on Callan lift up thine eyes move on, thanks Phil

I reckon our man would know Cabaal, he is after all the fountain of all knowledge, thank god he doesn't know me, or does he?

Well foxy, the one thing that bugs me is untidiness- yes that area around the ATM is awful, pots & pans and light hardware items are not in any order there. The 'express' till over by the off license is also ridiculous, shabby old curtains supposedly hiding the cigarettes, but limply cast to one side, the whole presentation behind that till is a disaster.... BUT my real pet hate is old signs, posters and sticker remnants around the place... Signs put up by passing thru managers and floor assistants, eg 'don't forget to turn off the lights' then another 'don't forget to turn on the lights' this kind of thing is crazy ... Silly A4 printouts hung by the scruff with a single piece of tape.... Smarten up SV!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I do not think anyone will disagree with you there, for a modern shop it is dismal, and it seems from a management prospective this is what we think of the people of Callan.
    They must have been to Aldi or lidl, or even dunnes at some stage, in my job when i had one I had been known to raid dustbins of offices we suspected of doing other work on the side, not during the day of course i then had a garage full of unwanted garbage, actually very good fun, told you i was sneaky.
    Just off to Callan.

Advertisement