Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI for Callan - again!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Phil MaCrackin

LOL!! Me too... Gotta go to Supervalu!!! Hahah!! The irony of it

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Well Phil, you said it and I have a feeling you are right, I have all through the thread supported Supervalu and the staff. I have stressed that we need the store or one similar, could be Lidl, but of late so many people have complained I am wondering why.
    The re-vamp did nothing to help customers, even though I am almost a daily visitor I find it difficult to find things and sometimes when i do they have a special offer in a completely different place.
    Loughboy is a success well seems to be anyway, i think thomastown is and Carrick supervalu's, but I worry about Callan, even getting checmk-out operators does ones head in, lots of people and only two people working, they have to use the phone to get help, which doesn't always come, where are the manager's.
    I have a sneaky feeling and I can be very sneaky that when they write about Callan in fifty years time, they might just mention the day the town was released from it's shackles and became a shoppers paradise, that might be a bit over the top, we need more shops for that.
    I suppose if Tesco came back, there you go Phil, Tesco for Callan
    Time for Coffee, regards from an excited and sneaky Foxy
    well if your worrying about qeues in checkouts,i don't know why you are so excited that aldi is coming.they are an absolute disaster for this,the shop could be full and only one checkout open with a qeue half the length of the shop.

A fair point premier, but, in truth if everyone was doing their weekly shop in SV, like they are in Aldi, SV would have the same problem too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

well if your worrying about qeues in checkouts,i don't know why you are so excited that aldi is coming.they are an absolute disaster for this,the shop could be full and only one checkout open with a qeue half the length of the shop.

I will say thats not my experience in any Aldi I've ever been in, anytime the q goes past the cardboard sign they always open another checkout.

It doesn't matter if the checkout has to be done by a manager or assist manager, it gets opened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Yes we all have a, don't know what about queue's but I am a regular Aldi user and have never had that sort of problem but perhaps it depends on which branch you go to.
    I always think the check out operation is something else at Aldi they don't hang about but that is only my opinion.
    Thursday is approaching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,305 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

There is one thing that gets up my nose and that's when anothe check-out is opened, it's often the ones who're just coming up to the queue who step into the newly-opened checkout. Queue-jumping swine, they are.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan it is infuriating when that happens, you are lucky queue's here are seldom a problem, try the UK I have seen drivers go off the motorway at an intersection go round the roundabout and come back up on the motorway just to gain a few places. Even worse are the people who go to M&S on Christmas eve morning and steal someones turkey or chicken from their trolley and pop it in their own, despicable should be a law about it.
    I had a lady in Harrods who was trying to get past me, when there clearly wasn't room, shuffing like mad, so I perhaps used slightly more force than I should because she ended up in a pile of saucepans, flabberghasted to say the least.
    Beware Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

From Harrods to Aldi. There's recession for ya :D

No, the thing with stores like that they buy in special sale goods and there really are some down to earth bargains, working near by was handy, other than that such stores are a definate no, no.
    I would prefer the people in Petticoat Lane or East Street Market much more genuine, you knew where you stood with them, and it is much the same as Aldi down to earth, no expensive frills, no stupid prices.
    I think you might find it is all down to happiness, another story.
    thank you Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭nhg

This Thread is 2 yrs old today and only 2 days left to go to the opening of the store.........

• Advertisement

Happy Birthday Thread, many thanks to Phil and NHG for keeping us up to speed, hasn't the time just flown, it has been great fun, what next?
    I came in by way of a thread in Ennis co Clare, where there is a discussion going on about Tesco building another store on the outskirts of the town, they have one in the centre, couldn.t resist telling them they were lucky we have to go to another county to shop Tesco.
    One wonders what Callan will be like in six months time, hopefully Aldi will increase the number of shoppers comin g to the town, but to be honest apart from SV what else would you come to Callan for, forgot we have four chemists, apart from them.
    You can't buy ladies clothes or shoes, you must go to Kilkenny or other town, there is no computer store, camera shop, bookshop, cycle store, perhaps we do not have the population to support all these things.
    Tesco might help if we had one, so perhaps we should have a Tesco for Callan thread?
    Two whole long days to wait for Henry to throw open the doors of the 100th Aldi store, there is definaztely a buzz about it, expect there will be some who will moan, look what aldi have done to Bridge St, someone did but it ain't Aldi.
    We are marching forward with a smile and more change in our pockets.
    Thanks NHG, regards Foxy

In fairness Foxy, there used to be some of those stores in Callan before, except the camera & bookshop.... But I may be proven wrong...
    There's been numerous failed attempts at a computer repair place, and there used be a ladies clothes shop where the big wheel off license is now. Hennessys used have a bike repair shop on lower bridge street opposite hacketts shop...
    Maybe Dwyers sold cameras (where McDowells is now) ... I can't recall.
    Of course there's the new Polish grocery shop now, don't know how well that's doing....

So the thread is 2 years old today! It took Aldi a 4.5 months to build it, so it goes to show how much inefficiency exists in the co.council & bord pleanala....

Yes I noticed you were around earlier, I wonder the reason so much went out of Callan, it should by rights be bustling with trade, perhaps Aldi will help to bring people back, my impression is that SV did the exact opposite, one really did have to go further afield for so many things.
    I understand that any village that has just a general store could well lose out with Aldi, though I weigh up the cost of petrol before setting off for small things in Clonmel or kilkenny, is it worth the trip.
    Many places just do not have the market, a small store would need a good turnover of veg to make it pay, whereas Aldi and SV will normally have fresh every day or other day.
    Though i put much of the success of fruit and veg in SV down to Erin, one can tell when she is not there.
    I must admit I am not keen on paying top price for goods that are not of a reasonable quality.
    2 days Phil, see you there and Nhg.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

:pOnly one more sleep left....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

and there used be a ladies clothes shop where the big wheel off license is now.

Indded there was, it did very good business as well,
    Shop only closed when the women running it retired.
    Hennessys used have a bike repair shop on lower bridge street opposite hacketts shop...

I remember it well and got my bike fixed loads of times in it over the years,

If you really go far back (before my time) were supervalue is now there used to be a cinema but it was burnt down...before the cinema there used to be a massive bike shop...circa 1900.

I'd like to see a Cycle shop in Callan again but there's just not enough people cycling anymore to support it. For example, when i was in school the bike sheds in the primary and secondary schools were full....these days they are empty.

This is nothing to do with the schools, its to do with over protective parents driving kids everywhere

A camera shop would never last here, nor would a book shop due to changes ion how people buy and use both types of items,

A computer repair shop is a waste of rental costs as you can run the same business out of a home without paying rental for a premises.

T'is perhaps a sad day, Aldi open tomorrow, perhaps we will have come full circle, however I am sure something as interesting and absorbing as Aldi will appear.
    Actually i have been following a thread on the Clare forum, Tesco for Ennis, they have one and Tesco want to build a second store, lucky them we haven't got one, however there were comments about shops in the town closing, some suggesting it was Tesco's fault, but it turns out that a similar situation to Kilkenny, council rates too high, car parking charges etc and the changing face of shopping.
    Back to Aldi and beloved Callan, very strange Cabaal mentions the cycling, Kilkenny seems to be hell bent on having cycle ways etc, but not in Callan, one problem is that many of the school children live outside of the town, and in all fairness would you let your child cross the by-pass during the rush hour? No provision was made for pedestrians or cyclists to get across.
    If you are not a driver then calculating the speed of oncoming traffic is difficult, bad enough for some drivers as it is. Country roads are not lit either.
    Will any shops suffer in Callan? The vast majority are what one might call service shops, Hairdressers, Beauticians, Take-Aways, Betting Shops etc,
    which should not be affected.
    This leaves us with our one newspaper shop, who everyone else has made inroads into, SV, Co-op, and Mahers Garage, but in fairness Kerwicks sell many things for school children's needs, has the best assortment of cards etc, again Aldi doesn't.
    John the butcher, Aldi hasn't one and recently SV have attempted to jump on the meat for the week wagon that John has done for a very long time, who is the big bad wolf then, and of course we have our old friend Joe next door to John, Joe has a very loyal following of customers and is very obliging and one hopes, well n o supermarket is going to sell flowers of Joes quality, let alone make up bouquets, wreaths etc.
    Notice SV sells flowers these days, so who is the big bad wolf, they are not looked after like Joe's, Aldi are a bit into plants but if you want the best Joe it is, he will have all sorts of odds and ends you won't get in the supermarket.
    You haven't mentioned Londis, no it is a petrol station, it sells food, yes but it is a convenience store of sorts, things you would buy that you had forgotten, same as Big Gas, or could not be bothered to go into SV.
    Hopefully the coming of Aldi might well boost our few little shops, really it is up to us to look after them, they have served us well has John and Joe and Paddy.
    O'Briens, well Aldi do do clothes of sorts but nothing to compare with O'Briens, top of the range stuff and quaint, like going back in time, long may it thrive.
    One more mention our friend Billy and clare bakers extra-ordinary, Aldi doesn't have an in-store bakery as yet, yes SV do, who is the big bad wolf then, without doubt no one but no one bakes bread like our own baker, Aldi will bring in cheaper bread from the North, Lynch's, it is okay, in fact if I couldn't get Billy's I would buy Aldi's, but like john and Joe Billy is the king of bread makers, the carbon footprint from bakery to store is very small.
    So there you are, tomorrow is the day, dare I say it, yes of course i am a historic day for Callan shoppers, it may not go down in the history books, nor come to that matter does the association of Callan with coca cola.
    So to all who have read our posts, agreed or otherwise the time has arrived, but to so many who have given support, helped, added to the thread, thanks so much, we might get another couple of posts out of the opening.
    Don't forget it is a two euro coin for the trolley but most of all enjoy the shopping, have fun and save money, look for the Irish food and help Ireland.
    Bye for now and regards to all Foxy

I remember the SV site when it was just a rubble site from the days of that cinema! I think it was Caulfields has that first, they have a place in new Ross as well, and maybe loughboy is theirs too. Someone told me last night incidentally, that SV in Carrick On Suir there was never as busy since Aldi & Lidl opened!!! Interesting!!

Hi Phil, our wonder man of the boards, well if our SV gets busier what the hell are they going to do, they are having a job coping as it is.
    Actually I think loughboy has found the same, well I do use Carrick and Loughboy but both are larger than Callan and as a result are better stocked.
    I think a cash injection will be needed to enlarge the store, or build a new one outside of town, like Aldi near but not in the middle.
    Though i am told there is a huge space behind the BOI that could be used.
    There might be space down the new line.
    Take care, regards Foxy

Ha! Wonder man? I don't think so Foxy! You're the one who kept the thread energised! I hope the weather is kinder tomorrow though! I spose the signs aren't great for SV, but I still think there's a place for them. Although the shop down in friary walk didn't last long....

You had the bright idea in the first place, anyway yes hope it is better tomorrow my sleeping bag isn't waterproof, joke.
    Off to SV, and the Friary Walk escapade, must have cost a fortune but again it was price and choice, it really didn't fit into the scheme of things, I felt for Ray but to be honest his little shop was fantastic, almost a niche shop, it was always a pleasure to go into it, he had it and decided Cost cutter was the right direction, when in truth he was the right direction, not Cost cutter.
    But again SV undercut the small trader, who is the big bad wolf and now what happens, wait until tomorrow , though it will take a few weeks to settle down into a normality.
    Off to SV yet again, watch out for le coq sport, Foxy

• Advertisement

was in SV this morning it smelt like they had given something a lick of paint, not sure what, but they have really left it late.
    When will they learn that no one and I mean no one enjoys being taken for a ride with prices, both coffee and tea had examples of paying in excess of a euro for a large version as opposed to two small ones.
    The fruit and veg looked somewhat moth eaten with empty baskets, and again shelves made to look like they were full of items and in fact they had only one line behind was empty.
    Checkouts had queue's only two operating, what are they going to do when things get back to normal?
    Just over 10 hours to go to lift off, wow we gotta hear Henry.

I think they painted the door frames grey on the way in there, you can still see the brush stokes on them!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Foxy was that you i saw earlier outside Aldi taking photos???

A definate no, actually I didn't think of it, should have done, went past about 11.30 you would have thought the place was in full swing, i needed as we always do some bits and pieces in SV, like one of billy's loaves, mandarins, fish fingers, just love em for lunch and milk, forgot the honey and some burger buns for our 12 year old, probably pop in to Aldi for potatoes in the morning.
    Apparently there are some brill offers when the doors open, we didn't get a leaflet but locals did.
    I bet the photographer was Phil, was it you Phil whom Autosport saw?
    Any way my friends it is time to say good night and enjoy tomorrow and you have all been really super pals, hang on Nhg is missing, and Dan Jaman and everyone else.
    God bless and sincere regards Foxy

Hey fellow boarders, nope it wasn't me either! I was only in SV at about 9am and not in town after that. Yes I heard a leaflet went out to locals, but I haven't seen it myself. Hopefully the weather improves by morning!!! See you all there, I'll be the one with the red tie... LOL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,305 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I cannot be arsed with the crowds on the opening of these things, so I'll toddle along in the afternoon for my usual Aldidl stuff. Magic thing for me now, is there's an Aldi within cycling distance when the weather's good and I don't have to drag up to KK for bits and bobs.
    Aldi don't do Spam-alike, though.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Damn i thought i was after seeing you take the pics. Maybe it was SV ;)

I'm afraid i wont be there for the opening as i'll be in work but i hope all goes well and Foxy i think you should be cutting the ribbon ;)

I think you should too Foxy!! What has HS contributed here? pffff!!! LOL!!!
    I'm gonna try be there anyways, was there ever free stuff at an Aldi opening?

Thanks gang, I really feel so proud at what we as a group has achieved, I said to my other half, who is intending to be there at 9am, look for a gent in a red tie, that will be Phil, no clues as to Autosport, though you won't be there as you said you are working, but expect to see you jump out of 3 series Beamer, Nhg I do know, Dan mmm, not many on bikes but I suspect it is a Blue Yamaha, no doubt if I go up to people and say hello, they think I have lost it.
    I will be late as I see our lad off on the school bus at about 8.50, yes I could make it, and I do need shopping.
    Reading Dan's post reminded me my dear mother in law who was so loved by many, when we had sunday tea a lot of the family would be round for the lovely soda bread and freshly made scones, made by our one who will be in Aldi at 9am, would insist that we could only buy the ham from Ray Hacketts, it has always remained one of those memories.
    There are a lot of clues to who Foxy is, it is like throwing sandals to the wind. some of my clues are a bit limp.
    Right time for breakfast and a quick read of the news, my usual to you all Foxy

• Advertisement

Quick one we get a mention in the Indy, part of Aldi intention to open more stores and employ 300. apparently 15 to a store, hey has anyone from SV deflected, it is a bit like the berlin wall, did anyone escape, Ho ho ho haven't seen dermot of late, oh no he is not the manager surely.

Advertisement