Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI for Callan - again!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭nhg

I have a sneeky feeling that RGDATA are representing more than just the one store ......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

That was great news, went into RGData web site and yes they represent Supervalu and a shop called A & O Foodstore Green St Callan, any idea's, however going through the page i found the people of Drogheda wanted Lidl and one can set up a petition in GOPetition, I am all for it because i believe they got the store, looking at the list of retailers kilkenny is certainly hard done by, little wonder we are still in the dark ages in Callan, when oh when will we see the light of the twenty first century, I am surprised this firm has not tried to ban Tesco home deliveries, look forward to further comment regards Foxy

Is there support for taking the matter further by way of a petition or making a few waves with letters to the Kilkenny People and the free papers in circulation, it seems Callan is being held to ransom by the objections of a few who may not even live in the area, look forward to hearing from you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Is there support for taking the matter further by way of a petition or making a few waves with letters to the Kilkenny People and the free papers in circulation, it seems Callan is being held to ransom by the objections of a few who may not even live in the area, look forward to hearing from you

Depends if they're advertising in any of them.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

A & O Foodstore are no longer trading at Green Street (it is the shop that is between Kerwicks Newsagents and World of Wool) so hopefully it is only one objector - but I heard on the grapevine of another who was planing to object that's why I said that I feared it was more than one objector.

Im sure the Callan Notes will have something to say about it in next weeks edition of the paper, A protest with a large turnout and a boycott of the shop/shops involved I assume is what is needed, by next week we will know if there are any more objectors as they have until around the 25th of October to lodge an objection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The situation has turned into a farce with the usual suspects only interested in protecting their bottom line with no interest in bringing more business into Callan or giving choice to customers.

Its defiantly a case that some sort of protest needs to be called and given RGData is likely representing Supervalue in this instance I think outside their premises may perhaps be the best location. Unless of course they are not objecting.

Its a very sad state of affairs that we've now had 3 previous planning permissions stopped and likely the same will happen to this one if we sit and do nothing this time as well.

Dear Cabaal
    Agree 100%, If it is Supervalu and I will ask when I go in, my friend Dermot, though he may not wish to be the villain, and would prefer to hide behind this other firm. Whoever it is cannot want Callan to progress into the 21st Century. People demand choice, ever tried shopping in Callan on a sunday afternoon, I might be tempted to take a few pictures, one has no option but to go to Kilkenny. One other way we can go is the web site Gopetition, the residence of Drogheda wanted a Lidl and of course the well meaning idiots kept blocking applications so the majority got fed up and sent in a petition, which me thinks worked wonders, after all we have ploenty of houses okay some might be empty, but it seems very little objection was raised, but no where to shop, keep in touch regards Foxy

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

I dropped into John Street today and picked up a copy of the RGData appeal, which I've attached. Their grounds for appeal are poor in my opinion ("too far out") but who knows how An Bord Pleanala work :(

hi, thanks again I agree with your comments, RGData really have submitted a very weak agenda, hopefully the powers will not take heed of any part. The regeneration of Callan town centre, yeah walked along Bridge St, The site at Supervalu, much of which is used as a car park, and access would be more than limited, it would cause problems for the residents at the back with loss of light, then the unnecessary car journeys, no Aldi then how many more people will be travelling to Kilkenny and clonmel to shop, choice is a right, despite Supervalu making some effort, the shop will never be large enough to accomodate any large scale development, even Supervalu are saying Aldi would bring more people into Callan, the garages would benefit even with people doing less mileage, I buy petrol in Clonmel when there, the other things Aldi sell, no one has anything in Callan, hope someone agrees with us. Thanks for your work really brill regards foxy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Spocker thanks a million for getting the letter and scanning it, much appreciated

The suggestion that the site beside Supervalue (unsure exactly what site they are referring to is) could be used and the carpark could be shared is hilarious!

Anyone in Callan that has used the carpark knows that it is full pretty much every day and thats with people parking in the bus stop, loading bays and wheelchair parking spots in green street.

Sharing this carpark with Aldi (which would be a much busier supermarket) would frankly be insane and would never work as it is no where near the capacity that would be needed.

Even if it could fit an extra 85 spaces then the amount of cars going in and out of an already busy main street (green street) and a residential area (rice estate) would just be stupid and would in itself lead to complaints from residents.

As for the suggestion of a co-op site, well its just stupid,
    - The part of green street is already very busy and has cars parked everywhere.
    - Knocking the co-op building would ruin the look of the street
    - The entire site would have to be knocked for Aldi to fit their uniform look store w/parking
    - Green St is not the place to have even more cars in/out, not to mention the problems with getting 40 foot container trucks in and out in a already very very busy street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Its a weak agruement to be sure ain't it? Is it a new underground car park they intend to build in the current one?

Likewise, I haven't a notion as to the site they refer to in the document, the bit of waste land in the current SV car park is hardly it??

To be honest if the person/board that makes these decisions takes a look at the proposed sites themselves it's surely only a benefit to the Aldi cause?

I think you are both right, as far as I am aware there are only two shops who would have a problem with Aldi, the butcher and the greengrocer, having said that both appear to be doing okay whilst competing with Supervalu.
    I rolled up at your comments on parking and using the old Co-op building and sharing the already full Supervalu car park etc etc.
    I think we have to wait the decision before planning the next move, which would be necessary if there is a rejection, I hope it is not so, but enjoy the info and support regards Foxy

As far as I know a petition/protest would have to be done now, once a decision is made by An Bord Pleanala it cannot be overturned and ALDI cannot lodge a new planning application for the same site (or any other supermarket for the same site).

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

Cabaal wrote: »
    Spocker thanks a million for getting the letter and scanning it, much appreciated

The suggestion that the site beside Supervalue (unsure exactly what site they are referring to is) could be used and the carpark could be shared is hilarious!

Anyone in Callan that has used the carpark knows that it is full pretty much every day and thats with people parking in the bus stop, loading bays and wheelchair parking spots in green street.

Sharing this carpark with Aldi (which would be a much busier supermarket) would frankly be insane and would never work as it is no where near the capacity that would be needed.

Even if it could fit an extra 85 spaces then the amount of cars going in and out of an already busy main street (green street) and a residential area (rice estate) would just be stupid and would in itself lead to complaints from residents.

As for the suggestion of a co-op site, well its just stupid,
    - The part of green street is already very busy and has cars parked everywhere.
    - Knocking the co-op building would ruin the look of the street
    - The entire site would have to be knocked for Aldi to fit their uniform look store w/parking
    - Green St is not the place to have even more cars in/out, not to mention the problems with getting 40 foot container trucks in and out in a already very very busy street.

Mind if I use some of this in an observation to ABP?

Is there any more news on the subject, one might also run a thread "Who is holding the people of Callan to Ransom", or who does not have any interest in Irish Jobs, okay Aldi won't employ everyone on the dole but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel for some, have a great weekend regards to all Foxy

dear spocker and friends
    Read the basis of the appeal, you are right anyone suggesting using the old co-op building should not be in planning and if it was me who had paid i would be asking for my money back.
    If I read it right a conservation area, apparently when building houses this does not apply or so it would seem, I love Callan and the people but don't make us a laughing stock.
    There are other shops in the area, two petrol stations actually three, at this point one should use words not normally used, our friends at the supermarket have said they cannot expand the store, so where does that leave us?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 homestyle

well done for keeping us up to date on the situation with aldi. Hopefuly it will get through the red tape this time. God knows it is badly needed for shopping and for local jobs. Do you think it strange that our local scribe has not written anything recently in the " notes" about looking for support or even just keeeping it highlighted.

Hi and thanks for the message, yes you are right, we should be looking for support, perhaps an action group to keep the matter on the boil, I tried the Kilkenny People but my letter somehow did not come out, will try the two free papers next week and any snippets on the boards.
    Rumour has it that one of the objectors is someone who really has no cause to prevent the people of Callan having a choice. Equally there is a heritage group who might be trying to block progress, one wonders why and what heritage is there left in Callan, perhaps come and see Bridge Street die, well it is dead except for Billy and his Bakery, which one hopes will never close, probably the best bread in the South East, he deserves much more publicity for his food but that is another subject.
    I am hoping the objectors will withdraw and allow Callan to become a live and vibrant place to live and shop in, lets bury the dark ages.
    Roll on Aldi, even Lidl or Tesco and a rank outsider Dunnes store.
    Good luck and thanks Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 41 homestyle

Seems to me like their clutching at straws bringing in the heritage crowd,like they've used up all other angles.i wonder will they be a faceless crowd aswell!! I dont think the baker would have too much to worry about.Maybe he could supply them also. I actually buy his bread at present from super valu so i dont think i'd be changing. Me thinks the traders are getting alittle worried, but let us not get complacent

Dear Homestyle, right complacency will not win the day we really need support from as many people as possible, not that the majority of Callan shoppers would support this continual objecting of stores wanting to come to Callan, most of them are too busy going to Kilkenny to shop to help.
    In truth Supervalu is not large enough by today's standard, it prevents the store stocking all the various lines one finds in Loughboy or Carrick and there is the other reason lack of personal choice, some people hate the shop, so there is no other option but to go to kilkenny or Clonmel.
    If only we could get the objectors to withdraw, I sit here and wonder at the reasoning of these people why on earth are they doing it? Any way many thanks and regards Foxy

• Advertisement

All is quiet on the Aldi front, however there are some who wonder why we or I keep on making an issue of the objections.
    It is very simple, I will not buy chicken or the eggs that come from birds that have never seen the light of day until they dragged squawking to the slaughterhouse, however Supervalu say that Free Range or Organic chicken does not sell in Callan, they are in other words suggesting Callan shoppers only want the bottom range.
    So to get my chicken I am made to go to Kilkenny because of the lack of choice, again with Beef there is no Angus beef, very limited choice, forget Lamb, price wise if there is any it is costly.
    There are some foods which compare price wise, though they do tend to ram down ones throat that they are the same price as Tesco or Dunnes for some products I must do a comparison with unmarked items.
    We don't want another supermarket for the sake of it, we want genuine choice the freedom to shop in our home town without having to travel to either Clonmel or Kilkenny, and perhaps we might just see Callan come to life, a decent restaurant or two, travel agent shops for younger people
    and one day even a hotel, a bookshop, hope.
    Rest my case. Regards to all

This is really a plea to those who have objected to Aldi coming to Callan, please withdraw your objections, stop thinking of yourself think of the people of Callan as a whole. Having heard that some are now watering down milk to help make ends meet, which is terrible especially if there are children involved, one wonders what lengths families are having to go to just exist, despite Supervalu cutting prices on some lines and indicating permanent price reductions on other's, Aldi would ensure just by it's presence that the less fortunate amongst us might just find the weekly shop less of a nightmare.
    If you are an objector just think of the cost of a parent or old person going to Kilkenny or Clonmel for that matter to shop, take a good look at Callan the place and people I love, for once have a Christian thought, whilst the better off can give to starving and homeless people in other countries, what about our own who is going to look after them, all i say is withdraw the objection and support the people of Callan, have a nice weekend regards Foxy

Just read that Aldi have got Supervalu in Thomastown, will this affect Callan? If it does thanks a million objectors, by the way anyone noticed Callan is too poor to have a Charity shop

It would appear there is no further news on Aldi coming to Callan or the taking over of Supervalu in thomastown.
    I must admit that the loss of Supervalu in my opinion would be tragic. Aldi on it's own would not provide all the shopping needs. I did read that Aldi carries nearly 50% of Irish made products, it is worth supporting just for the Irish jobs it must generate.
    Once again it is an appeal to the objectors to withdraw from the course of action. It may be an act of self preservation, which is no doubt misguided.
    No supermarket is going to compete with our one butcher in Callan, Supervalu's meat is all packed with very little butchery needed, but fair play they maintain a butchery counter. Aldi don't, their's is all prepacked, our Callan butcher offer's quality and advice, so from that point he is not going to lose out.
    Our baker, well what can be said, it will be a sad day when Billy Keogh decides he has had enough, factory made bread just cannot compete.
    Someone said what about Londis, lovely people, okay for forgotten items when getting petrol, but it is not a serious shoppers choice.
    So who is objecting? Tell us why, as they say don't be shy.
    If you notice more full stops and things, thank The Tonynator who said my comments were incoherrent due to a lack of punctuation. Have a good day and thanks, regards to all Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Punctuation is the least of your worries, paragraphs are the way to go.

Your posts can be difficult to follow, paragraphs would be a great help.

Dear ft9
    Well you might not believe this but I am truly thrilled with your comment, I work on the basis one is never to old to learn.
    So a new format will be applied.
    You may enjoy this bit, but many moons ago I was responsible for a newsletter for a small group, something I enjoyed, however when we finished they gave me a dictionary as a thank you.
    This was of course before computer's.
    Many thanks and hope I don't let you down.
    regards Foxy

I have just finished scanning the local free paper. Our TD is telling us to buy as much as we can locally to help the shopkeepers, they are under a great deal of stress.
    If we could get someone to withdraw the objection to Aldi, we could possibly exceed his expectations.
    Like most people I do not have money to throw around, paying considerably over the odds for some basics. For instance yesterday I paid 1.35 for a litre of milk, for a few cent extra I could have got 2 litres in a Supermarket. The price of bread in the local store is normally double the supermarket price, same brand, and it isn't even my favourite baker's loaf.
    I would say without doubt most shoppers would be happy to buy in Callan given a choice of stores.
    Does anyone really want the hassle of driving and parking in Kilkenny, apart from a monday morning the car parks are a nightmare, unless one goes over to Aldi/Lidl in Loughboy.
    Come on Mr TD do something for the voter's you might just do the talk but can you do the walk?
    Aldi for Callan and more Irish jobs will be secure.
    Regards Foxy

Help is wanted, if you are of like mind and feel Callan needs to have a choice of whether to have an alternative supermarket, or you are happy with just Supervalu, please write a comment.
    So many Callan shoppers can be found in Kilkenny, Clonmel, Carrick and Thomastown, the present situation drives money and jobs away from our town.
    Supervalu really has no competition, it has no incentive to improve the shop, the staff are first class and they try to help as much as possible.
    My regret is that the discounters do not have that many staff around, however to get rock bottom prices there are always sacrifices, that said it will provide more jobs for a hard hit area.
    However there is bound to be a spin off for a great many of the shops, and it will revitalise our town, our town.

Someone asked me if I worked for Aldi. The quick answer is no. My stand is to have a choice of where to shop in Callan. The only reason the Irish supermarkets became cheaper is due to Lidl, Aldi and Tesco arriving on the scene.
    It does not matter whether the second shop is an Aldi or Lidl, what they will do is to keep prices down permanently. I try not to knock Supervalu because it does a grand job in the main, though many do complain, having said that there are people who will always find a reason to do so.
    What our silent objectors do not realise is that the world has moved on. When I was a kid we went to a grocer for basics, then to the butcher and finally the greengrocer, I am forgetting the baker. Even then you could not carry all the shopping and we didn't have the luxury of a car, so each of the shops goods were taken home before going to the next one.
    All this was done in small local stores. The supermarket had not yet arrived.
    Alas when it did, the small shops started to disappear, supermarket prices where lower and one had more choice.
    So what happens in Callan now? Thanks to these misguided souls you will have no option but to drive or catch the bus to Kilkenny, unless of course you can get all your shopping in the one supermarket.
    Merry Christmas regards and farewell Foxy

• Advertisement

Well all is quiet on the Aldi front at the moment. I have not heard any more about Thomastown. The objectors seem to have gone underground, but then if you stop a town from expanding it's trade, they have good reason.
    As most people say one cannot get all one wants at our resident supermarket, true, I had to go to Lidl the other day and it was like walking into a Christmas wonderland, the selection of food was outstanding and of course the shop was very busy.
    Just think so much Callan money is going to Kilkenny needlessly, thanks to our objectors.
    Apparently Iceland is having difficulty supplying everybody and are selling out, lucky us we haven't even one in Kilkenny, shop local.
    Not long to the festive season Merry Christmas all

Advertisement