Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI for Callan - again!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Hi Autosport, so who is going to win on sunday? We reckon Lewis, or Alonso anyone who can beat Vettel, he did himself no favours did he, having said that he is a fab driver, poor old Ayrton wasn't the most liked driver.
    Well it was mobbed, they must have sold more than a few oil filled heaters, which were terrific value for 10euro.
    No photo with Henry but I did get one with my two sister in laws, it is the fact that I no longer have to go to Kilkenny or Carrick for Aldi, there was a great buzz around.
    Next visit, well might be today, off go-carting saturday with our 12 year old and a couple of friends, Sunday race day.
    Enjoy Aldi and thanks for your never ending support on the thread's.
    We are moving to Tesco for kilkenny, which has already stirred up opposition, we wait and see.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Phil MaCrackin

I'm going back to Aldi again today for a better look around, hopefully the crowds will have normalised. I really hope Supervalu management is following this thread and make some improvements, I only remarked to myself yesterday how filthy the countertop is at the 'lotto' machine till.... They may have gotten complacent, but it is food items they sell, so everything needs to be spotlessly clean.

Anyway, must dash... Need to run in to town to Lidl later... LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

So do the folks of Callan feel the end of SuperValu is near? It would be a shame if that is the case regardless of how bad the place may be (iv never been in there) I done some shopping in Dunnes yesterday i was surprised at how much i got for 30euro, they seemed to have dropped some of their prices. I would usually get some stuff in Aldi or Lidl but i feel some of their food is inferior to what is in the likes of Dunnes/SuperValu/Superquinn.

Could not agree more about SV, I really do hope they get their act together, we need SV with aldi, if only for the things Aldi do not sell and of course there are people who insist on a particular brand, so they need to be looked after.
    Could not really shop there yesterday, it was more of a quick look round, but having said that all Aldi stores are virtually identical, a bit like Lidl though I get the impression Clonmel is somwhat larger than Kilkenny, we also use the one in Dungarvan and that is or feels a different size again.
    Dunnes in Clonmel, well Davis Road is okay as is Dungarvan.
    But Supervalu is by the standards set by other retailers, scruffy, it need money spent.
    Enjoy yopur shopping, Foxy

Oh far from it! I really want to see SV prevail! There is room for both stores, and some minor work in SV would bring it up to par. Take a walk around SV in loughboy is my advice to SV Callan. You gotta wonder though, on prices too, they have to be more competitive...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Yeah competition is good hopefully for ye down that way it will add competition. The SV in loughboy is nice its another place i would usually go, the new till system is great it seems much quicker.

I totally agree with Phil, we want SV to succeed, I do not think anyone sees them otherwise.
    I was in both Aldi and SV this morning and both were doing good business, as Phil says it would not take much to get the place up to par.
    Of course you will save money at Aldi it has a much different system to SV etc, it is like the independent grocer who had to go to a wholesaler for goods, didn't stand a chance in today's market, the Cash and Carry needed a profit then the shop keeper, who paid you the customer did.
    Now it has all changed and there are people still saying support the small grocer.
    Yes the Butcher, Baker etc different market, but most of all it was brilliant to have a choice at long last.

I was in SV myself today. Alot of empty shelves around the alcohol section and one of the manager/owners asking one of the young staff his advice on what normally goes where. I notice a few other changes such as the new automatic doors. Wonder will an overhaul take place? Im an advocate of competition so i would hope Supervalu can respond

Great to have the luxury of an Aldi a mere 6 mile from the door though. Its a ground-breaking day in a lot of respect for those in Callan and the surrounding areas.

Hi Tipp.... No I don't think they replaced the doors, they just painted the frames grey. They were a red powder coat finish, and if you look carefully you can see the brush strokes in the grey finish now

• Advertisement

Not in Aldi today was go-carting over at carlow, will go and have a nose tomorrow, after the grand Prix, Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 39,305 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I saw one fella,who shall remain nameless, going off with 5 oil filled heater,
    The likes of that pisses me off. Sheer bloody greed.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan, it is human nature, not everyone is like you and I and the rest of us, trouble is mate not everyone is forward thinking, probably not the right words, he may have been buying them for other people who could not or do not have a car, think nice things of people, say wasn't that great of him helping.
    I know it is difficult, he might also had a very large house and oh boy would that be expensive to heat in the weather we have had, I think this year we have spend more on heating than at any other time and we live in a very wee house/cottage.
    Apart from that I hope you are enjoying your new found freedom, hey there was a big guy in Aldi with a cycling helmet the other day, so I called out hey are you Dan, got a very blank look, but he had an Irish accent to be sure and you said somewhere you was a blow in from across the water.
    Well have a super Sunday talk later, sincere regards to all, getting ready for the race! The go-carting was brilliant, think i have left it a bit late to beat Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Not in Aldi today was go-carting over at carlow, will go and have a nose tomorrow, after the grand Prix, Foxy

Kilkenny City needs a go kart track, what have you done to promote this?

Nothing as yet, we have the one at Ballyhale which is excellent onj a lovely day, top class actually, but the Carlow on "the Grid" is indoors, and it is close to the Dome.
    Somewhere like Cillin Hill would be grand for a track.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've been to the grid, it's savage when they have the outdoor section open.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

It seems now the store has always been there, it had good crowd yesterday, and it was a delight to have so much choice. strange how aldi build left and right handed stores, the one in loughboy is left and the hebron is right the same as ours.
    Despite the glowing reports I still believe SV has much to offer, I would not like just having Aldi on its own.
    Personally I think shopping is more technical than people realise, it is not grab this or that and stuff it in the trolley, how many check where items are made if shown, contents etc, the story of the west cork yogurts is ideal, all the supermarkets sell them under different guises and all at different prices, now I must presume that they all eminate from the same factory, unless someone can tell me different, Aldi and Lidl 69c each, SV 89c but buy 4 and get them for 3euro, 75c each Dunnes the same as SV.
    SV and Dunnes sell connacht gold dairy spread at around almost 3euro a tub, now Aldi sell the same but under Kilkee name for 2.29 a tub.
    You need to take stock at what you are buying.
    Did you watch the grand prix what a fantastic, race seb won, well won, oh dear off to the shops.
    By the way it seems a few people need to go to spec savers who shop in Aldi, signs seem to mean very little, but I guess car parks can be confusing I spent two hours looking for my car once, wrong car park.
    Foxy

Well, as you mention the car park there, clearly the IN/OUT signs were meerly to satisfy planning conditions.. Nobody heeds them, people coming and going via which ever avenue is most convenient to them! I couldn't care less tbh!

In that case phil i will take my glasses back, fair enough, however unfortunately in the event of a bump, what is the legal standpoint, could i get on my high horse and claim foul. But whatever they say Phil I take your point.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well, as you mention the car park there, clearly the IN/OUT signs were meerly to satisfy planning conditions.. Nobody heeds them, people coming and going via which ever avenue is most convenient to them! I couldn't care less tbh!

You'll care when some muppet drives into you

• Advertisement

Meh... I think on private property (Aldi) it wouldn't matter... I'm not sure tho. One things for sure, if I was coming down the lane and the place is quiet, I'm not driving all the way around to come in via west.st! I'm gonna dag in the from the lane! LOL

Well phil, I think Cabaal is right, but car parks are, aren't they

Meh... I think on private property (Aldi) it wouldn't matter... I'm not sure tho. One things for sure, if I was coming down the lane and the place is quiet, I'm not driving all the way around to come in via west.st! I'm gonna dag in the from the lane! LOL
    Exactly so, and if I'm exiting the car park into West St, I'll be using the West St exit to turn right.

Dan you are on a bike, take care those motorists are a dangerous lot, some of the women drivers, phew they could take your breath away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

As a woman driver i'm taking that as a compliment :D Sorry to say i still havent been to the store as i was a busy bee :) I love the idea of a karting track in Kilkenny but Kiltorcan is a good track too and its not that far outside the city.

You are right it was a definate compliment, women drivers are in the main much better than the male counterpart, you see it every day.
    Our lad and his friends had a great time at the Grid, considering it was the first ride, we had a look at Kiltorcan a while ago and if the weather is okay reckon it could be more fun, looks a larger track, but a city one would be great, Cillin hill.
    Well aldi lived up to expectations and it feels like it has been there all the time, thde fact that we have a choice.
    SV are painting like mad, really a year too late, however I will support both stores and me butcher and baker.
    Take care, look out for Dan slipping in and out the wrong way, Foxy

If you drive into Callan past Aldi, which is brand spanking new, you are in for a shock, get past the store you enter a run down and dingy town that the council appears to be unwilling to spend money on.
    We have articulated lorries coming back and forth along West st, two bus services plus parking etc, there has been a car parked across tbhe pacvement which precludes anyone passing without walking in the road, anyone with a pram is in serious trouble, so where is the local councillor?
    The yellow lines seem to have been neglected like the rest of the town, one wonders why we even have a council it is inept.
    We have our Aldi, SV are painting like mad, come on do something for the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Our lad and his friends had a great time at the Grid, considering it was the first ride, we had a look at Kiltorcan a while ago and if the weather is okay reckon it could be more fun,

It's *way* better fun when it's wet and the track is slippy.

If you drive into Callan past Aldi, which is brand spanking new, you are in for a shock, get past the store you enter a run down and dingy town that the council appears to be unwilling to spend money on.
    We have articulated lorries coming back and forth along West st, two bus services plus parking etc, there has been a car parked across tbhe pacvement which precludes anyone passing without walking in the road, anyone with a pram is in serious trouble, so where is the local councillor?
    The yellow lines seem to have been neglected like the rest of the town, one wonders why we even have a council it is inept.
    We have our Aldi, SV are painting like mad, come on do something for the people.
    Will you ever eff off and leave Callan alone. It's quite good the way it is, and I certainly don't want it turning into another Lego box on the hillside. There's a bit of give and take, come and go and people in Callan are tolerant and don't need more bloody administration. Except for queue-jumpers - I could happily string them up.

• Advertisement

Dan, you got it wrong, we don't want more controls, we want the council to spend some of our money doing the place up, the pavement in front of John the butcher and along is a bloody disgrace, the artic lorries coming through aren't you worried on your bike, the parking in the bus stop oh dear, especially when coming out of SV vans can block the road, and those who park opposite the Betting shop and on the corner of West St. We really don't want to see Callan as if it is in the dark ages, do we?

Advertisement