Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI for Callan - again!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,305 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

The Bloody Council took down the trees on Green St. The utter sods. All driven by a desire to 'modernise' and 'improve' the place. It was fine as it was. Why can't these sons-of-bitches leave things alone?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Dan why not go for tree replacement, Callan looked great with tree's, we could start a new thread if you was up for it. Perhaps someone might know the reason the originals were taken down.
    There might be support for your idea, lets put it to the test.

I don't recall talking to anyone who was in favour of the trees going. The Council made some BS re-assuring noises about them being re-planted or replaced, but we all know how far we can trust what they tell us.

Well we have now had Aldi for one week, so far we have not had any comments either way as to the benefits to the shoppers in Callan.
    Has it brought more people into the town from outlying area's who would have gone elsewhere?
    What do you think?
    Personally I am not a lover of Aldi fruit and veg, yes it is cheaper than SV in price, I again would have preferred Lidl, to either of them in fact over any other supermarket.
    The store is naturally squeaky clean being brand new and it is well stocked with the items Aldi sell, SV sell more lines and that was how it was going to be in any case.
    Aldi arriving has made SV start improvements, painting etc, which unfortunately is something they should have done on a regular basis, you cannot sit still in the grocery business, otherwise you get left behind.
    SV at the moment are trying to fill every space with stock, which is the wrong thing, de-clutter, anything that is below par for selling, clear it out.
    The special display for SV goods at the front of the shop, I think is a waste of space how can I compare the price with branded items, special offers at the end of rows, I have made my choice only to find the offer after I have carried my basket round, so out comes the unspecial offer.
    I think SV still have a lot to offer, but it is nice to have the choice.
    Hey Phil haven't you done well over 40,000 who would have thought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Phil MaCrackin

ha! 40,000 views is it? I don't look at the stats much ... all credit to you tho Foxy! lol!

Dan - In fairness, the trees were out a bit far on the street, and alot of parking spaces was gained. They have been replanted too, definitely up around the church end of the street. But to honest about it, Callan, as a small town, looks better than alot of places! Now if only people would respect the new paving, lovely job as it is, and stop spitting chewing gum on it!

Foxy - I think the veg comes from piltown! So I don't think it can be any fresher!!

• Advertisement

I nipped into Aldi again yesterday only to be greeted with the smell of cat piss at the inside of the entrance area. Either some spraying tom or possibly the glue on the floor tiles out-gassing.

Well we have now had Aldi for one week, so far we have not had any comments either way as to the benefits to the shoppers in Callan.
    Has it brought more people into the town from outlying area's who would have gone elsewhere?

What do you think?
    Personally I am not a lover of Aldi fruit and veg, yes it is cheaper than SV in price, I again would have preferred Lidl, to either of them in fact over any other supermarket.
    The store is naturally squeaky clean being brand new and it is well stocked with the items Aldi sell, SV sell more lines and that was how it was going to be in any case.
    Aldi arriving has made SV start improvements, painting etc, which unfortunately is something they should have done on a regular basis, you cannot sit still in the grocery business, otherwise you get left behind.
    SV at the moment are trying to fill every space with stock, which is the wrong thing, de-clutter, anything that is below par for selling, clear it out.
    The special display for SV goods at the front of the shop, I think is a waste of space how can I compare the price with branded items, special offers at the end of rows, I have made my choice only to find the offer after I have carried my basket round, so out comes the unspecial offer.
    I think SV still have a lot to offer, but it is nice to have the choice.
    Hey Phil haven't you done well over 40,000 who would have thought it?

The benefits go without saying really Fox. If your from Callan its roughly a saving of a 20mile round trip to do grocery shopping and you also save the money you would probably otherwise squander in other high street shops :p

In my case we now have an aldi a mere 6mile away wheras Carrick was 16 mile away and before that Clonmel 20mile away. It brings much needed competition to the area and in fairness to Supervalu there seems to be some response in there. They are not just going to sit back and take this lying down. Callan needs both to be profitable and providing employment and id be optimistic that both will do so as they seem to manage in other towns over a long period.

Overall to people in the surrounding areas from the likes of Mullinahone, Windgap, Ballingarry, Tullaroan, Ballycallan, Kilmoganny, Dunnamaggin, Grangemockler, Ninemilehouse, perhaps Drangan or Cloneen also, this provides another option where they have access to a major supermarket without having the hassle of going near Kilkenny city. From my own parish i seen around 6 people alone in there on the Friday and the car park was fairly full

tipp gunner, isn't that wonderful, thank you for the update, the car park in Aldi was fairly full just a while ago, and Supervalu actually appeared busier than before.
    Yes it looks like they have responded well to Aldi, it seems the only one going to lose out are the petrol stations.
    We will keep an eye on things but I am sure you are right. regards Foxy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    The Bloody Council took down the trees on Green St. The utter sods. All driven by a desire to 'modernise' and 'improve' the place. It was fine as it was. Why can't these sons-of-bitches leave things alone?

Its not nice to see mature tree's go but they had to be removed,

The root system had destroyed much of the footpaths and you'd have had to remove an awful lot of the roots to re-do the area the way the council did.

If they had removed the roots to do the work they'd have killed the tree's.

The improved area was very very badly needed. It certainly wasn't anywhere near fine as it was, say so is like saying Bridge St was fine before they redid the footpaths and road prior in 1997/1998....it was very far from fine also.

My only issue with the new tree's they planted is that they could have planted more mature tree's but they likely didn't due to costs. But then they will grow in time.

I have a far bigger issue with the ignorant lazy pricks in Callan who park their car's in the bus stop bay near supervalue!

Cabaal wrote: »
    I have a far bigger issue with the ignorant lazy pricks in Callan who park their car's in the bus stop bay near supervalue!
    That bay was kept clear most of the time until recently - it's gradually become occupied a lot of the time now, though.
    The polis used to occasionally swoop on parkers in the other bus bay, but I haven't seen that happening for ages.
    One good thing about Aldi - no real shortage of parking space within easy reach of the store, so the pricks who park in the disabled spaces at SV have plenty of choice round at the new store without needing to show the world how ignorant and asshole-ish they really are.

• Advertisement

Well, you are both right about the parking, if there is a van on the corner you cannot see down the road, today was the best a massive great tanker, it made the road one way, I am never happy with those who sit on the faded yellow lines stopping traffic getting in and out of the store.
    I remember someone getting a sticker advising them that parking in a disabled space was not on and they hoped that the fleas of the earth would inherit their arse, there was more b ut memory memory.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭nhg

Having ALDI in Callan is brilliant, it was great not having to go to Kilkenny at all this weekend. There seems to be a lot of outsiders coming into town to shop which is good to see, long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

It great to have it there. It's like is always been in Callan. A great bonus to the town

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Whats with all the idiots going out the wrong way out the one-way Weststreet entrance?

I was in Aldi on Saturday and in the 4min or so I was loading the car I saw 5 cars go out that entrance, each time they nearly ran into somebody coming in. How hard is it to see the line on the ground and TWO no entry signs?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Whats with all the idiots going out the wrong way out the one-way Weststreet entrance?

I was in Aldi on Saturday and in the 4min or so I was loading the car I saw 5 cars go out that entrance, each time they nearly ran into somebody coming in. How hard is it to see the line on the ground and TWO no entry signs?

Really, that should be two-way with a mini-roundabout on the road, but I suppose they took the cheaper option of making it entrance only and the Council might have had a finger in the pie there, with possible concern over eejits coming flying around the corner; although there's sufficient room to slow down after exiting the bend.

It seems aldi has always been with us, the lower prices must be a joy to all, however Aldi is not a wonder store there are some misgivings.
    Firstly it does not stock anywhere as much as Supervalu, I can't buy Sherry for my trifle, well not until christmas, I cannot buy the swiss jam roll either nor at the moment the jelly that goes into it, but i can buy them in Supervalu or Lidl's, I looked for french mustard, no but Supervalu has a good selection of mustard. I like HP or Chef brown sauce, hard luck I did like Daddies but that seems to have gone, unless anyone knows better.
    By the way Nigel Supervalu's butcher is leaving, he is going to Clonmel, a man who will be sorely missed, Good luck Nigel.
    If you look round there are quite a lot you will miss out on, so Supervalu is not so bad, provided of course they rise to the occasion, which is more than can be said of the half dead plants they had on display yesterday, either look after them or don't sell them.
    A big beef, Aldi has a rather I think pathetic issue with customers regarding packing of bags at the till.
    I have put the items in the trolley and then taken them out to pay, I am then expected to throw them all back in the trolley and move over to the window to pack them again, now this is labour intensive to me and I am not really prepared to play games in aldi or anywhere else come to that.
    I will put them in my bag at the till if it doesn't suit the store then i suggest they put the items back on the shelf as I have no intention of buying under such circumstances.
    Actually Aldi in Hebron do not play that game and it doesn't take much to guess why, so forget it in callan, or perhaps you don't agree.
    Then the next crib, we might need the help of a legal beaver, faulty goods, Aldi will not do anything without a receipt they have this almost eff off attitude, there is as far as i am aware no legal obligation for the buyer to keep receipts, however Aldi remain adamant no receipt no deal with problem which unfortunately is against Consumer Advice, by not dealing with the problem there is a breach of contract, yes shopping can involve Contract Law.
    Whilst understanding their stance to a degree when they know the item comes from their store they can deal with it, if they so wish, in fact I might be wrong but they have no alternative, we are talking of items that are faulty, not ones that you decide you don't want.
    Would appreciate anyone with legal knowledge coming in on this please.
    What about billy Keogh bread nope, not certain but think the bread comes from the north.
    Any way it is good to have a choice, but come on supervalu pull up your socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Phil MaCrackin

Well Foxy, yeah Aldi is well bedded in now. I have to mostly agree with your points there - I heard the butcher is leaving the SV, and theres more workers left go, and even more on short time. Though I did spot a new manager like fella wandering around there yesterday, I'm wondering is Dermot gonna be instructed hw to develop the shop, post Aldi.....
    Billy Keoghs bread is nothing to write home about anymore though, the sliced pans are of poor quality in my view. Years ago it was waaay better, but now the bread is full of air pockets & holes and is virtually impossible to butter unless with some oily spreads.... I stopped buying it years ago and switched to Hickeys.
    I'm not sure what the policy is regarding faulty goods in Aldi though.....

Hi Phil, yes Hickey's bread is fine, guess it is true that Billy's bread was the tops, I was in UK when they had plenty of small bakers, the problem once a small baker goes you are left with these giant bakeries, guess I was spoilt use to go across to Prices and get a hot loaf off the conveyor belt, which was so hot one had to handle with great care, indigestion.
    Hot doughnuts from Carters round the corner, I know superquinn try but they are a far cry from the London craft bakers.
    I am interested to see if we get any advice on aldi's attitude.
    Sorry to hear about staff at Supervalu, it should not be that way, just look at louighboy or carrick, I think even thomastown are all doing better than Callan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Foxy. I enjoyed your posts up till now but i have just figured out you are my nightmare. I have shopped in Aldi and Lidl for over 15 years as I have lived in Germany for 10 of them years. You dont seem to understand the logic behind Aldi. There are maybe 3 to 5 employees working in the shop at any one time.
    When you are going to the till you are the person who watches you shopping get scanned while trying to have a friendly conversation with the person on the till. Their job is to get as many people through the till so not to build up a large queue which causes a chain reaction of taking more people off the floor.

Next time look at the peoples faces behind you as all of them will have the ffs face on watching you slowly pack your bags while talking about Nora's son who is off to Canada while the till person is franticly pressing the buzzer to get another till open.

Its not science. The belt is long enough for you to Load all your Shopping onto it. The organize your Bags so they are all open so you can load them as quick as they are scanned. Also have your purse in easy excess.

Aldi and Lidl are not to be compared with your local Gossip Stores of SV and Tescos where the tellers pretend to give a monkeys about Nora's son.

They are for people like me who go in there to buy what i need and not hang around caring about anybodies business but my own .

As for receipts also is incorrect. I have brought a number of Items back to Aldi and Lidl without receipt and got my money back or even a replacment sent to the shop with never any Issues.

You just need to learn how to shop in theses stores and keep your slow mo packing for SV and Tescos where you can watch all your shopping at scanned through and then start packing.

Wize that was a super post, thank you so much, I will put your advice to good use, i am sort of an in between shopper, I don't want to stand in a queue listening to conversations relating to Nora or the son who has gone to canada.
    However I do try to make the checkout operator feel they are a person and not something stuck on the end of a conveyor belt, being slightly hard at hearing depending on the accent I really do not get into conversations as i end up embarassed.
    Yes i appreciate people want to get out quickly, ever been in the queue in SV when someone wants lottery tickets or tobacco and the operator toddles off.
    We are never to old to learn, so thanks again Foxy

• Advertisement

I felt very sad yesterday when I went into SV, it looked very uncared for, the usual sparkling fruit and veg section was sadly lacking, the parsnips looked like they were on their way out, it was obvious Erin was not looking after it.
    The cold refrigerated display for yogurts etc was very untidy, it was not a welcoming sight.
    One expected the place to be spic and spam and all the shelves full, but no.
    Stories abound as to staff being let go and on short time, and what with Nigel going, what are we to do.
    Aldi does not serve all Callan needs, it might save us going to Kilkenny or Clonmel but if SV does not pull it's socks u[p we will end up going foreign again.
    We needed choice, we got choice, lets make sure we keep it that way, even if we got LIDL we would still need SV, and of course John murphy "The Butcher".
    We had comment about Billy's bread, it is not cheap by a long way, and with an alternative Hickey's which is not sold by SV but obtainable from Ray Hackett or Top shop, Hickey's are also what one would term craft baker's.
    I guess this is one of the weaknesses of Aldi, we have local craft baker's but youy cannot buy the bread from Aldi, at least LIDL do bake on the premises which is part of the way.
    I have only been into LIDL in the UK, so perhaps someone like WIZE can tell us if there is any difference between Aldi here and the store in Germany.
    It is not a nice day but nevertheless regards Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Gone very quiet around here. Is Aldi still open. Did the butcher and baker go bust yet......

I've mentioned this before but it's something I'm getting used to - seeing lots of familiar faces in an Aldi/Lidl isn't something I've had occur often, or at all, really.
    Previously I had to go many miles to visit one and the chance of bumping into someone I knew was quite small. Now, the Callan Aldi is full of people I know, including neighbours - one or two of which I was surprised to see there.
    SV was like a graveyard today - I think there were nearly more staff than customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 konflikt

Personally i think the new store is fantastic, I have shopped in aldi for the past 10 years and its great to have it on your doorstep. The whole town has seen a huge influx of shoppers that previously have bypassed callan for kilkenny or clonmel. From speaking to people in topshop and other retailers around callan I have been told that they have seen so many new faces in their shops since the store opened.

Regarding the parking issues on Green street. I think there should be a residents parking permit in operation on green street. My parents live on green street and its a huge inconvienience when trying to get parking close to the house to load thinks into the car especially with small kids etc. so I would have absolutely no problem parking in the bus stop for a couple of minutes while getting kids, buggys etc etc out of the car to see nanny and grandad. i certainly would not see myself as lazy or ignorant by having to do this as the logistics of having small children certainly makes my decision alot easier. I do however disagree with somebody parking there just to run in for a few bits in supervalu when theres an adequate car park there to use. I have to add that when i get the kids sorted i always move my car to a designated space.

Thanks to a rather weird decision I decided not to post again.
    Even though the urge was there, reading about Aldi
    Sometimes one has to swallow a bitter pill and write again.
    Coming back is a pleasure as there is still a lot to say.
    Of course we will no doubt have those who disagree.
    We have at least seen more people coming to Callan, which must be good for the town, so perhaps the Aldi thing will rub off on the other stores, and no doubt SV will be rubbing their hands.
    Parking has always been a problem wherever one goes, unloading children is not an exact science and can be very stressful, especially in a busy road like Green St, thankfully most drivers are considerate however it only needs one who isn't, so please think of the future generation.
    Equally it is of little use someone telling me I was wrong about getting a faulty item replaced at Aldi, where it was stated no receipt no anything, try telling an adamant assistant manageress that.
    Though I did succeed with the lady by informing her my rights under the "Sale of Goods Act".
    Yes the situation at the checkouts in SV can be daunting, I actually sat on the counter the other day waiting whilst a conversation continued, I was not in a hurry.
    No doubt I might just put in a word or two,. had a great time shopping at M&S in clonmel, where else can one buy Jersey royal potatoes?

Hi, well it is now roughly five months since Aldi arrived, is it a success, yes for Aldi and a definite no for our other supermarket which appears to be struggling.
    Yes we have a choice now, which makes all the difference to shopping and we have more people coming to the town, whether other traders have benefitted I have not enquired.
    Aldi price wise does give a saving over other stores, but, perhaps it is me I find it boring and I find I am drawn to Kilkenny for Lidl or Clonmel for Dunnes and M & S, though don't go looking for bargains in M&S, as a change LiDL in Carrick on Suir is a nice pleasant shop and Carrick is great for shoes, in addition there is a good bus link, same as Clonmel. Parking at the supermarkets in Clonmel is free, though like Kilkenny the shopping arcade has all but gone, save Superquinn though soon to be Supervalu.
    So what about our Supervalu, probably due to planning the shop is just not big enough, at the moment it really seems to be struggling, in truth it should not be, go and look at the store in Carrick, booming.
    I wonder why our apples appear to have travelled such great distances, Brazil, Chile, New Zealand, lets hope Irish varieties appear.
    Have a nice day, by the way have you tried Daybreak up at Friary Walk, okay it is not a supermarket as such but it is well stocked if you are that side of town.
    Foxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

The announcement of the SuperValu/Superquinn merger will bring the Callan SuperValu immense business. The fact that all the favourite Superquinn brands (such as their sausages) aren't just going to be located in "past" Superquinn shops but they will be available in all SuperValu shops, including the Callan one.

I reckon the jury is out on that one, if the takeover/buyout ,had been the other way round, I think we might have had grounds to celebrate, though Superquinn was never the cheapest of supermarkets.
    I honestly can't imagine Callan coming close at emulating Superquinn, the store is just not large enough.
    If one goes to Loughboy or Carrick you get a different perspective of Supervalu and its ability to give both Aldi and Lidl a good run for their money.
    Aldi in Callan does provide a buffer for want of a better word giving shoppers the ability to buy at reduced prices, though the lines stocked `leaves much to be desired.
    Superquinn sausages have always been legend, but having said that all the other supermarkets carry a brand of sausage which to all intents and purpose could be identical to Superquinn, of course they won't be cheap, equally John the butcher does a very nice banger.
    One of the sure ways of telling what you have is to see the amount of fat left in the fry pan, some can be grim, We always prick a sausage before cooking to allow fat to run out, it is the same principle with mince.
    We always buy Aldi top brand in the hope it is as fat free as possible, same in Lidl, but once again John the butcher in West st makes his own mince, almost fat free.
    You pays the money you make the choice.
    Foxy

I see more people are looking at sell by dates, even in Aldi one must not take it they will okay, they tend to put the oldest in front, not out of date but can be short dated and quite a pain if you shop for the week.
    Perhaps I am unusual but I do like to see where my food comes from, luckily dairy produce carries an EU regulation code, it is a small round circle giving the country code IE for Ireland and UK for Britain, France is FR, then the number/identification on the maker, for instance 1098 for a Yogurt from Clonakilty and then underneath initials indicating where made EC, East Cork.
    You might wonder what this is all about but Supervalu are selling Blackwater Yogurt, it says packed in Dublin, but maybe like me I though Blackwater County Cork, unfortunately the identity code say's different, it indicates the product originated in Czech Republic, nothing wrong with that, they are very tasty.
    However I try to buy Irish made products, I think the yogurt is bordering on being misrepresenting. So much so one bottle didn't carry any coding
    You will find so called Irish cheese with UK codes, virtually all supermarkets have this problem.
    Now if you ask the staff about the codes, no one actually has much idea what they are.
    If you are interested go into Irish Dairy Codes, it makes shopping fun and takes up a lot of time.
    This coding applies to meat products, including ready made meals, one very well known Irish producer has Lasagne as a typical product, they advertise on the television, the code tells you what you might believe is Irish actually comes from Eastern Europe, no doubt it is very good but I think I would prefer to buy Irish mince and potatoes and make my own.
    Do you buy honey? looked at the label, the low priced ones, a blend of EU and Non EU honey, you would have no idea where it came from, forget whose brand you are buying, almost everyone has this mysterious substance from God knows where, though Aldi actualy have a cheap honey which says it is sourced in the Netherlands.
    Maluka looks okay but it is more expensive, even organic honey can be a blend of mystery.
    It is interesting in that both Aldi and Lidl have products that give no indication of who produced it, the coding gives the game away.
    Enjoy shopping, if you need clarification ask a manager, but don't hold your breath

• Advertisement

I see more people are looking at sell by dates, even in Aldi one must not take it they will okay, they tend to put the oldest in front, not out of date but can be short dated and quite a pain if you shop for the week.

This is the norm for every single shop in the country, certainly not something specific to Aldi.

Items with closest best before/use by dates always go at the front.

If you want to see a very clear example of this then go into any shop and look at the bread.

If you are shopping for a week or two weeks at a time its a very good idea to pay attention to dates on stuff you buy, this is simply good practice.

Advertisement