Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 month baby----toast

• 16-04-2011 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

I have a terrible fear of toast for babies. My grandson has started to be fed toast, no crusts and dipped in milk but is he still too young?

I cannot remember if I did the same......trust me mothers, you DO forget!

I watched him eating toast this morning and while he seems to be doing ok, he did cough a little but nothing more. I must say, I cannot abide watching him because of my personal fear of toast.

I don't want to say anything to the wonderful parents....any tips for ME????:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

You don't need to fret, at that age they can gag quiet a lot, it's just their bodies getting used to eating solids, especially if the foods they're eating aren't custardy in texture. Don't stress too much, but if you are worried, when the baby does cough a bit when eating, just over act and say to mammy and daddy that you it scares ya, in a way that's jokey ott, but in a way that they know you're worried, that way no one has to be offended, and then they know it worries ya!

I do understand, seeing a baby regurgitate their food can look quiet frightening, especially as their faces can go all red. My 2 year old still does it, he's quiet disgusting really he regurgitates it, takes it out of his mouth all mushed up and eats it again (probably just a boy thing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think just leave it to the Mammy and Daddy and keep your fears to yourself... my mother in law can be a bit over the top and still thinks that my one year old can't handle toast when she eats it for breakfast most mornings.

I know it's horrible, heart in the mouth kind of stuff, but if the parents feel comfortable giving it to their child then he can obviously handle it and if he does gag it up they'll just try again in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

January wrote: »
    I think just leave it to the Mammy and Daddy and keep your fears to yourself... my mother in law can be a bit over the top and still thinks that my one year old can't handle toast when she eats it for breakfast most mornings.

I know it's horrible, heart in the mouth kind of stuff, but if the parents feel comfortable giving it to their child then he can obviously handle it and if he does gag it up they'll just try again in a couple of weeks.

You can be sure I will keep both my fears and opinions to myself....that is the rule in my books, hence the reason why I had to vent it on boards just to get opinions from the mums and dads!!!!

But it still gives me the shivers....partly because when I was a young mother, I myself nearly died from choking...and it happened while I was at home with baby myself....granted, it was a hard sweet, and it was absolutely frightening. I just ran out to my neighbour ( a nurse) and she managed to get the dastradly item out of my throat!

So now I always have a fear.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Definitely explains your fear! Thank god you had a neighbour who could help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My little lad is 15 months now but has loved toast from a very young age . . partly cos i have a lovely husband who brings me tea and toast in bed every morning. . ben always had a bit i'd day from about 6 months . . he got the hang of eating it really quickly .. he had a full slice after 2 weetabix every morning and there's not a pick on him :) `
    my mam has this terrible fear of them banging their heads on her kitchen table .. even though they're a mile away from it . . we just laugh at her now and i tell her if he bangs his head it'll make him more careful .. a passing comment like i always think he'll choke on the toast .. is not a judgement it's a statement and i don't think offence could be taken .. and i had a 7 and a half year gap between number 2 and 3 and even in that time i forgot loads . .:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My fella has been eating toast from around 7 months (only started any solids at 6). Started him with crusts and the lot. He went through a phase of gagging on all food so I didn't give it to him for a while and tried him again. It's his favourite snack now.

Maybe to help you relax around it you could look up some information on the difference between choking and gagging and what to do if an infant does start choking. You might feel more empowered if something like that were to happen.

Advertisement