Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

40 year old woman never been outside the country

• 16-04-2011 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I was in a travel agents a few moments ago and i overheard a woman who was at the counter next to me saying that this was going to be her first time on a plane and first time outside the country, she was buying a family holiday to france, She was at least 40 years old, I thought that was so weird that i wanted to share it with everybody here on boards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

some people cant afford holidays abroad ..... or have enough local sites to see to keep them occupied.....you could travel Ireland all your life and still not see everything that Ireland has to offer.

I've travelled throughout the world - and have not properly explored Ireland and all its beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

Ever occur to you that some people aren't as well off as others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Or people might not have a general interest in going abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Never mind that, there is a guy who works with me who has never been outside LEINSTER!!! He goes on all his holidays to Wexford. Apparently he was in north Dublin only once, to play golf.

He's legendary in the company.

In fairness, I think he's afraid of flying (and boats), but I'm not sure what's stopping him visiting the rest of Ireland..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I think it's nice to meet people who have not traveled outside of Ireland. To find your own country so interesting to warrant spending all your free time there is admirable.
    There's nothing wrong with enjoying your own culture and society.

There is of course a percentage of Irish people who have just never had the money to travel, after all, it's only recently become affordable to do so on a widespread scale. Remember when flights to London even cost about £300!

It's not uncommon for citizens of other countries to not travel outside of their home state - it just seems a little shocking when taking Ireland as an example as we're really quite a transient culture.

Some Irish holidaymakers have long taken their annual trips to Costa del Sol, Ibiza, Crete etc, but can we really say that that is travelling?

Fair play to the woman! I hope she and her fam have a great trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

PCPhoto wrote: »
    some people cant afford holidays abroad ..... or have enough local sites to see to keep them occupied.....you could travel Ireland all your life and still not see everything that Ireland has to offer.

I've travelled throughout the world - and have not properly explored Ireland and all its beauty.

Very true. I've been all over europe and seen pretty much every catherdal and fountain they have to offer yet I've never been to the cliffs of moher or giants causeway!

Stupid when you think about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

When I was in america I worked with an american who had never been more than 2hrs drive away from where he lived in his life. Some people have no interest in travelling, and/or are content where they are. Some people don'#t have the budget or need to mind someone else. So it wouldn't surprise me at. Lots of older people rarely traveled outside of Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Extraordinary! Nowadays, thanks to the good people at Ryanair, travel is no longer the preserve of the rich, in fact is is cheaper to holiday in continental Europe than it is to stay in Ireland. Travel opens the mind. Life is a book and anyone who has not travelled has only read chapter one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I was in a travel agents a few moments ago and i overheard a woman who was at the counter next to me saying that this was going to be her first time on a plane and first time outside the country, she was buying a family holiday to france, She was at least 40 years old, I thought that was so weird that i wanted to share it with everybody here on boards

Did you not tell her that you thought it was so weird? I'm sure she'd be delighted to hear your opinion

Clareboy wrote: »
    Extraordinary! Nowadays, thanks to the good people at Ryanair, travel is no longer the preserve of the rich, in fact is is cheaper to holiday in continental Europe than it is to stay in Ireland. Travel opens the mind. Life is a book and anyone who has not travelled has only read chapter one.

Theres plenty of people who have traveled and learned nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

My mum who is 50 has never been out of ireland and my dad who is the same age has only ever been to England. They never had the money to go on holidays,now they have a bit of money think my dad would love to go away somewhere but my mum just has no interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Have you never seen the Truman show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My Mam and Dad only started travelling a few years ago when we were all settled doing our own thing. Dad just turned 60 and they are often out and about. I live in the US and lot of people I know don't even have passports. My father in law just got one recently as he needed to travel away for business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I dont think its weird .What I do find strange however ,is you making a thread about it .I thought this was going to be about a woman who had never been abroad looking for advice and I was looking forward to helping her .Now Im just depressed ,thanks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rasmus wrote: »
    I think it's nice to meet people who have not traveled outside of Ireland. To find your own country so interesting to warrant spending all your free time there is admirable.

lol, I doubt that is the reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

What are you on about .Theres nothing like the areshole of Longford of a tuesday night to get the blood rushing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres plenty of people who have traveled and learned nothing.

I agree. Most Irish people who travel abroad are only interested in the location of the nearest Irish pub. They are completely indifferent to the local culture and environment. When they return, all they can talk about is the price of drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I agree with eternal, how narrowminded some people can be, I hope that woman and her family have a great holiday.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    lol, I doubt that is the reason.

Kinda different but I've met people, who re quite happy not travelling. They don't have any interest in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

In fairness to OP, I would say it's pretty unusual for a 40 year old to have never left the country, or to never have wanted to. I find it mind boggling that someone could spend 40 years content with never seeing another country, culture, and all that stuff. I know I know, each to their own etc. etc., but still, mind boggling. (Assuming, that is, that the 40 year old woman wasn't so unfortunate as to never have had to opportunity to go abroad.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement