Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how do you tune up your zippo?

• 16-04-2011 11:09am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How do you tune up your zippo? Apart from the basic no-brainers of re-fuelling and replacing the flint, there are questions like - how far should the wick be from the flint?
    How long should the wick be?
    When should you pull up and cut the wick?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

slowburner wrote: »
    How do you tune up your zippo? Apart from the basic no-brainers of re-fuelling and replacing the flint, there are questions like - how far should the wick be from the flint?
    How long should the wick be?
    When should you pull up and cut the wick?

TBH i've never really been too big on all that. The wick usually just sits dead centre and i only pull it up when it's so black that it starts to disintegrate. As to length,i usually cut it level with the chimney.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I like to move the wick closer to the flint. It creates a smaller flame.

If you can do Zippo tricks then move the wick away to get a bigger flame. I can only do one trick, and its a bit hit and miss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

TML91 wrote: »
    I like to move the wick closer to the flint. It creates a smaller flame.

If you can do Zippo tricks then move the wick away to get a bigger flame. I can only do one trick, and its a bit hit and miss.

And what sort of tricks might they be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

slowburner wrote: »
    And what sort of tricks might they be?
    Youtube is your friend though it will cost you two or three zippo bodies due to dents and broken hinges as you learn some of the tricks. I keep the wick on mine long and turned over into an 'n' shape for doing one of the tricks - stealing the flame and then throwing it back at the lighter.

As for maintainance I trim the wick when needed and clean the chimney and workings with a fuel soaked Q-tip

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I was in Germany a while ago, and the airport in Berlin made me take the "filling" out of the Zippo I had with me, the cotton wool type stuff. :rolleyes:

Anyway, anyone know would normal cotton wool do to fix it, or is it some kind of special stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I'm pretty sure it's ordinary cotton wool. I re-packed an old zippo of mine some time ago with ordinary cotton wool and it worked fine - in fact, it worked better, probably because I packed it a little bit more densely and it could hold more fuel. Or maybe i was just smoking less at that time. My current zippo only goes about three days before refuelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Is it possible to adjust the thing that holds the flint, eg move it closer to the wheel. One of my zippos has a big gap which causes the flint to become loose and fallout when it wears down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Not quiet sure why that would happen.
    The flint is held against the wheel by the expansion of the spring. If there is not enough pressure on the flint from the spring then perhaps putting a second flint in the tube to build up that extra bit of pressure.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I can't see any way that you can move the flint holder up towards the wheel, or the wheel down towards the flint. Can't imagine how this might have happened. The gap should be less than 1mm.
    I'm pretty sure you can send Zippos back to be repaired free of charge, no matter how old they are. Pretty sure the repair centre is in Germany. Afaik they just put new workings in the old case.

Advertisement