Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

washing your dogs bed clothes

• 16-04-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭

how do people wash their dogs bed clothes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Put in washing machine, add powder to drawer, select appropriate settings and press start :p

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

My dog dosen't have bedclothes,he sleeps in his coat.!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

my dogs sleep on blankets, so I usually shake them out outdoors and put them in the machine. it is better to use a biological washing powder (daz,surf etc) as the enzymes in it will break down and remove any bodily fluids from the dogs. you will need to wash on a minimum of 60c to kill any bacteria that can cause odours etc. I get a much better cleaner result on 90c. your machine will have a lot of hair in it afterwards, so just setting it on a rinse cycle with nothing in it will help to remove them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Washing machine with non-bio powder (cos that's what we have in the house!) and a hoosh of bleach to kill bact and odours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

High temperature for the bacteria and only ever use non-bio.

Too many chemicals is bad for sensitive skin.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Trampas

vet was saying even non bio isn't great.

don't add powder. if you want to put something in then use simple shampoo :eek:

Trampas wrote: »

*remembers the time washing up liquid was put into the dishwasher*

Do you know how much shampoo would be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Trampas

Whispered wrote: »

Do you know how much shampoo would be ok?

Just a squirt he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Had this unfortunate experience also... foamy to say the least!

OP - I wash my dogs stuff (towels, blankets, beds etc.) on a minimum 60 degree wash with biological powder/liquid and a squirt of Milton or purple Dettol (not one that goes cloudy in water), with an extra rinse function before the spin. Come out sparkly clean and smelling good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Also had that one, 4 year old and new dishwasher :o....oh dear.
    She also put some in the washing machine another time, similar results.

I use the cheap Lidl washing liquid and a high temp, my dogs shed so little there's not a problem with hairs, but for the cats I hoover the beds first to remove some of the hair.
    I also put the machine on empty afterwards, before putting the people stuff in.

• Advertisement

Mymo - I wish I had the excuse of a 4 year old.... :o

Oh yes I forgot to mention, always an extra rinse for the blankets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Dry on the line outdoors if possible, the UV rays also help break down odours naturally :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

how do people wash their dogs bed clothes?

boil the bejaysus outta them..... top wash,top setting.

kills any fleas etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

mymo wrote: »
    Also had that one, 4 year old and new dishwasher :o....oh dear.
    She also put some in the washing machine another time, similar results.

I use the cheap Lidl washing liquid and a high temp, my dogs shed so little there's not a problem with hairs, but for the cats I hoover the beds first to remove some of the hair.
    I also put the machine on empty afterwards, before putting the people stuff in.

as do i ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

vet was saying even non bio isn't great.

I bet thats not what they do at the surgery though, they probably wash the bedding in trigene or something, I wouldn't want my dogs to stay in a vets overnight with bedding that I wasn't sure had been washed properly from the previous patient.

What is the vet's reasoning behind the non bio not being great? My dogs go on my bed and furniture, the covers of which I wash using washing powder, as do my clothes, which again, the dogs have daily contact with:D

Mymo - I wish I had the excuse of a 4 year old.... :o

I had the excuse of an OH... although I don't think that counts! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Anybody have problems with hair getting blocked in the filter of their machines.

Keeps happening and I do all the shaking them out before putting them in the machine.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Anybody have problems with hair getting blocked in the filter of their machines.

Keeps happening and I do all the shaking them out before putting them in the machine.
    :confused:

Before washing if you get some strips of cellotape, stick it to the hairs, they will all come off straight away :) works for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

SingItOut wrote: »
    Before washing if you get some strips of cellotape, stick it to the hairs, they will all come off straight away :) works for me
    i will try that in the back of my car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

i use a wash bag to put my dogs blankets in, its from horsewear or else stick them in an old duvet cover it stops the hair from getting into machine :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I either rub them down with a rubber glove first or 5 minutes in the tumble dryer to remove hair. Then a hot wash.

Sparkie93 wrote: »
    i use a wash bag to put my dogs blankets in, its from horsewear or else stick them in an old duvet cover it stops the hair from getting into machine :)

What a brilliant idea! Going to do this from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

First bedding (a combination of towels, fleece blankets and vet bed is used), is shaken out and usually hung on the line for a day or two to blow the hairs off, vet bed sometimes needs to be brushed with the yard brush esp. if the dogs are moulting. Then washed at 40 degrees (60 if there's been a pukey bit or something mank was on it), was using Napisan still do when I have it, if not just non-bio powder. Was using the dryer to dry and it's great for removing dog hairs but it's banjaxed..again. Usually press the Extra Rinse button to remove any excess powder and just to get it extra clean. Then I put the empty machine on a rinse cycle with vinegar in before using it for ourselves.

Although eventually wouldn't mind getting a sepereate washing machine/dryer, if we removed the dryer and washing machine we have and got two washer/dryers instead we'd have one each..gonna ask Santa..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Not for a dog, but the cats, I brush their beds down with a rubber bristle brush which causes static ( I imagine much like rubber gloves) and removes all the hair first, then I wash them as normal and dry on line. I did not brush the sheepskin/ fleece once and clogged my filters. I always do a rinse of machine before people clothes too, just to be on safe side. Last year was great though, I bought brushed cotton sheets from Dunnes and used those as covers for the beds, easy to brush and wash, come out like new + the cats seem to love how soft they are, which I guess I should have known as they are always snoozing on/in my bed any chance they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I shake out our guinea pig bedding, then in an old duvet cover on a hot wash with a little powder.

Although I have just ordered a proper horse wear wash bag, we're in a rented house so don't wanna damage the washer with too much hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

i use fairy powder as i find it less sensitive on their skin...

Re the hair clogging issue - we give the bedding a good brush off before putting it in the washing machine, no problems so far.

We have switched to non bio liquid for washing the dogs bedding because there was a while where one of them felt the need to mark all the beds after they were washed - figured out that he couldn't smell himself anymore so switched to non bio and problem solved (obviously leaves enough smell on the bedding so that he knows it belongs to him!). So now it's non bio liquid (I prefer it to powder, found powder leaves a weird white residue sometimes) and a squirt of Milton/whatever other disinfectant we have in the house, on a minimum 60 degree wash and dry them on the line if possible - lovely and fresh!

(ah, small pleasures!)

Advertisement