Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which variety of potato

Options
  • 16-04-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

was going to plant some potatoes the weekend
    looking for nice floury types but resistent to blight and such,
    what would ye recomend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

www.grow-your-own.ie/potatoes.html

Dont know if they are flowery or not but i have had the Sante ones quite often and they are nice for boiling and mash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I think the British Queens is one of the nicest potatoes, very flowery, second earlies and crop quite well !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Setanta and Sarpo Axona are bred to be fairly blight resistant and are floury spud's.

I dont think British Queens have a high blight resistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

thanks for the replies lads, but as it turned out we went to the coop to day and the wife picked out kerr pinks, but i have since realised that these are fairly susceptible to blight:( ahh well i guess i will have to deal with it when it arrives.
    anything i can do in the meantime to prevent it?

• Advertisement

sponge_bob wrote: »
    thanks for the replies lads, but as it turned out we went to the coop to day and the wife picked out kerr pinks, but i have since realised that these are fairly susceptible to blight:( ahh well i guess i will have to deal with it when it arrives.
    anything i can do in the meantime to prevent it?

Take em back straight away they should change them maybe.

Kerrs Pinks get blight quite easily so would need spraying more often and being as the wife bought them she now has a new job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

fodda wrote: »
    Take em back straight away they should change them maybe.

Kerrs Pinks get blight quite easily so would need spraying more often and being as the wife bought them she now has a new job :D

lol
    i will get her on it straight away;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

fodda wrote: »
    ROFLMAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The Hungarian Sarpo blight resistent varieties have been pushed lately by the gardening experts in the media but the flavour is well very poor and its not as blight resistent as they make it out to be.

Debate from the farming forum on potato varieties to grow.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71892434#post71892434

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

The earlier potatoes usually have grown before the blight arrives. However it is a bit late to plant them now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

shawnee wrote: »
    The earlier potatoes usually have grown before the blight arrives. However it is a bit late to plant them now.

I started harvesting my earlies(homeguards) two weeks ago and I have blight in parts of my crop so I think you can discount the idea that very early crops dont get blight.

Advertisement