Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for work on house or garden

Options
  • 16-04-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

If I get someone to do work on the house or in the garden e.g. I pay someone to cut the lawn, they don't have insurance and they injure themselves or a third party - could I be liable for any injuries that might occur?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

The short answer is yes. Anyone working on your house/property should have Employers (if more than one person) & Public Liability Insurance although someone just cutting your grass probably wont but for any bigger jobs they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Thanks for that, Deisler. That's what I thought. It's scary when you think about it. You could be getting a small job done e.g. replacing a light fitting. If the electrician you engage to do the job sends an employee then in theory you would need to see both the Employer's and Public Liability insurance policies before the work commences to satisfy you of your own indemnity. If the employee fell off a ladder and injured themselves......

I know it's unlikely in the vast majority of cases but Murphy's Law.....

Is it possible to get such cover on house insurance policies i.e. to indemnify you against accidents to tradesmen on your property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

jprboy wrote: »
    If I get someone to do work on the house or in the garden e.g. I pay someone to cut the lawn, they don't have insurance and they injure themselves or a third party - could I be liable for any injuries that might occur?
    Thanks

If you have house insurance then you automatically have public liability insurance.Public liability generally covers friends or people visiting aswell as workers that would be classed as "domestic employees"

These domestic employees can be things like home help,gardeners,someone coming to clean your windows or gutters etc.

Obviously you would need additional cover if you were having things like ground work or walls being built but for the normal run of the mill upkeep you dont need additional cover.

If you need further assurance it would be no harm to call your insurer just to make sure there are no specific exclusions however Id reckon you are covered under your general policy.

Advertisement