Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats this on my grape vine

Options
  • 16-04-2011 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi guys i bought a grape vine a few weeks ago and have been keeping it on the window until im ready to plant it out. This morning i noticed what i thought was water drops on the stems but the turned out to be sticky little clear balls any idea what they are??? I'm thinking some kind of eggs but what type and how do i get rid of them.Iv posted a pic but its hard to see them.Also when i do plant out in greenhouse should i grow it up a trellis or let it grow into a bush.
    Thanks for the help Grape vine .jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

it could be rising sap, but as you already have full leaves, I'm not sure. Plant the vine outside the greenhouse in full earth and lead it inside. I prune it 2 x a year, at flowering time, cut at 2 leaves beyond a flower bunch, 5 leaves on an ordinary shoot. train it horizontally, espalier style, think of the way they have them in vineyards, you can also train them along the ceiling, but have heavy duty wires, it becomes quite a weight. during the summer, I keep the plant in trim by removing new growth and in the winter, second heavy prune. I go back to just the leading branches. I've a black Hamburg and my one vine often produces about 70 kilos of grapes.
    For the first year or 2 I'd concentrate on getting the vine into the right shape

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Thanks for that yellowlabrador very helpful im amazed that you can get that much fruit i was expecting one or two bunches of grapes. I also have a Black Hamburg plant i'm not sure how i could plant it outside the greenhouse and then train it back into the house. Will keep fingers crossed and hope that i get some if any fruit this year.

wexford12 wrote: »
    Thanks for that yellowlabrador very helpful im amazed that you can get that much fruit i was expecting one or two bunches of grapes. I also have a Black Hamburg plant i'm not sure how i could plant it outside the greenhouse and then train it back into the house. Will keep fingers crossed and hope that i get some if any fruit this year.

here are some pics
    PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG

PICT0011.JPG
    as you can see you need plenty of room, my vine is about 8 years old from a cutting. I feed it chickensh*t granules, and it prefers full earth rather than compost

Advertisement