Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawn meats protest at Festival of Food

• 16-04-2011 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

I have no sympathy for those who strike/protest at high profile events that benefit the entire region. This new brand of trade union militism has no place in a struggling economy like our own and those involved should be ashamed of themselves putting their (often pathetic and selfish) concerns over the greater community. If they want to strike, strike outside their own business premises on an official basis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

whats this?

protesting why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alan89

Haven't heard of any protesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Jimmy Kelly & Co at it again, I wish they would crawl back under the rock from which they came.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Anyone have a bit more info about why they're striking and whats happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Unite maintain that workers have suffered injuries due to the fact that the production line is too fast - health & safety issues basically.

9 TD's & 30 county councillors plus 1 MEP have written to Dawn Meats asking them to enter into negotiations with the union but the company have steadfastly refused to do so as is their right currently.

Thankfully the Government have promised to introduce legislation which will force companies such as Dawn Meats to negotiate with Unions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

...and yet we have no problems with Foreign Multi-Nationals that don't recognise Unions (Intel , Microsoft etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Bards wrote: »
    ...and yet we have no problems with Foreign Multi-Nationals that don't recognise Unions (Intel , Microsoft etc.)

Well, I for one don't want a finger in either my luncheon blaa or my laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

Where or when is the protesting happening? Was in Dungarvan today and didn't see anything, is it planned for the market tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Bards wrote: »

When the Government introduce the promised legislation not only will they have to recognise Union representation rights they will also have to negotiate with unions - been a long time coming !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Too right, amount of people maimed in places such as dm is outrageous,
    People who sit on their asses moaning about people fighting for rights is exactly what the corpos want....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

unions are some pain in the hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Max Powers wrote: »
    I have no sympathy .

Got your attention didn't it? Has it anything to do with those yachts coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Too right, amount of people maimed in places such as dm is outrageous,
    People who sit on their asses moaning about people fighting for rights is exactly what the corpos want....

Every worker has the right to a safe and secure workplace. However they don't have the right to picket at places or events that are not their workplace. Its typical of militants like Jimmy Kelly that not only protest the party involved but other unrelated businesses and the city in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Surely if there is a health and safety issue then the Health and Safety Authority would be on it. They can close down any unsafe plant / site if they believe the safety of the workers is at risk.

Roanmore wrote: »
    Surely if there is a health and safety issue then the Health and Safety Authority would be on it. They can close down any unsafe plant / site if they believe the safety of the workers is at risk.

So the workers lose their jobs?

Here is some non-bullsh!t information for those interested:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/workers-to-protest-at-waterford-festival-151635.html

I found two quotes interesting:

"Unite officer Roy Hassey said: "Dawn Meats is one of the sponsors at the food festival, so we want people to know the kind of company they are buying from. We wrote to the company and told them that if they wrote back to agree a date for a meeting, we would call of the leaflet drop."

"Unite claims some Brazilian workers were told their wives’ work permits would be withheld if they joined the union."

Did anyone see it? It says it was just a few leaflets not a picket, which in my view is perfectly reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

dayshah wrote: »
    So the workers lose their jobs?

They have the power to do it, I didn't say they should. If the place is unsafe to work they can call in the HSA for an assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Was there today and it was just a few fellas handing out leaflets

Roanmore wrote: »
    They have the power to do it, I didn't say they should. If the place is unsafe to work they can call in the HSA for an assessment.
    From the examiner report there are also issues regarding non-payment of overtime.

Anyway, I think handing out a few leaflets is a non-intrusive and perfectly acceptable way of highlighting the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I actually agree, a picket would be awful thing to do given the boost that festival gives Dungarvan.

Handing out leaflets IMO is a perfectly measured response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Just because Dawn Meats are sponsors of the food festival doesn't mean the unions and employees should be going around handing out leaflets to people who just want to enjoy the festival.

If they want to raise awareness of their issues with Dawn Meats management then they should do so through the media and all the local councillors and TDs who are supporting their case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Just because Dawn Meats are sponsors of the food festival doesn't mean the unions and employees should be going around handing out leaflets to people who just want to enjoy the festival.

If they want to raise awareness of their issues with Dawn Meats management then they should do so through the media and all the local councillors and TDs who are supporting their case.
    A measured "ibec" response
    How is recieveing info on dm's blatant breach of workers basic conditions ,taking from anthing

Handing out leaflets is not that big a deal, I just think it's an inappropriate thing to do at a food festival. In saying that, it sounds to me like the management are the real ones in the wrong here by being unwilling to meet the union to discuss the health & safety concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

A measured "ibec" response
    How is recieveing info on dm's blatant breach of workers basic conditions ,taking from anthing

WTF is IBEC?

chelloveks wrote: »
    WTF is IBEC?
    Irish Business and Employers Confederation, or according to their website, "The voice of Irish business and employers".

Irish Business and Employers Confederation, or according to their website, "The voice of Irish business and employers".

The employers answer to ICTU.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Ahhhhh...the anti-union....Ronald Reagan would be proud....

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

It doesnt surprise me one bit if it's true what DM are doing to its workers.
    They shut the door in Grannagh a few years ago to get rid of all the unions and long term workers only to open up again with foreigners doing the same work for alot less money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

daddydick wrote: »
    unions are some pain in the hole
    Yeah until you need one.

Advertisement