Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on dealing with a fox

• 16-04-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Afternoon Folks,

On Thursday I noticed that the wood between the floor of my garden shed and ground level had been ripped out, out and something had dug under.

Assumed it was a fox and when I had a look under with a torch I heard something running out the other side of the shed and over the garden wall.

Rang the DSPCA and asked for advice to move it on or get rid of it, they said to make it as uncomfortable as possible for it. On friday evening I went down and had a look under and there was no sign of it but I still made a racket in the hope that if it was in there it would run off.

Went down this afternoon to do the same and saw three pups running under the shed. I was going to get a friends dog over to scare it away, but given there are now pups down there I'm consious the mother might go for him.

We have a cat and I want to move them on. Previous cat had a run in with a fox and appart from being terrified for weeks, it cost a fortune to put the poor thing back together. Im also consious that we have my cousins kids here from time to time, and a protective vixen isnt ideal give we use the shed a lot.

DSPCA are closed bar emercencies for the weekend, so does anyone have any advice or experience?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Wouldnt that be considered an emergency?
    Ring ISPCA rather than DSPCA.Perhaps?

Try blocking the underneath of the shed?And make lots of noise in back Garden.

I read somewhere you can pee around the areas they are coming in and they wont then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Perhaps some scent warfare? Do you have a friend who has a large dog? Get some Piss and pour it around the place. It might work.
    Or just have it walk and urinate around the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

The vixen wont go for the kids unless they try to corner her and catch her. She should have another safe den in the area where she can move the cubs to if needs be so as the dspca said try make as much noise and movement arount the earth opening.

Advertisement