Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Philips HTS3377 has gone pop

• 16-04-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

Philips HTS3377

Won't power on, nothing obvious wrong that I can see, all fuses and the internal boards look fine, and more importantly, it is out of warranty, I have it nearly 3 years.

I had Sky HD, a PS3 and a Wii connected to it. Had no complaints about the system, it was fine for the TV room, and for music, when turned up, could be heard clearly throughout the house (I like having a detached residence).

Need a replacement quickly, hard to go back to listening to stuff through the TV speakers.

I have another vacant "reception" room at the moment, which I intend to get a projector and the mother of all sound systems for and have it as my home cinema room, but won't be doing that for at least a year.

So my dilemma is, do I just pick up a quick cheap and cheerful (Philips HTS3520 5.1 600W) all in one package replacement that will stay in the current TV room, or do I go the separates route for this room too? The TV room is decent size, 4.5meters x 6 meters.

It seems a waste to buy either an all in one package, or separates, and have to discard the speakers I have, but the speakers have propriety Philips connectors on them so unsure if a rewire would be possible? Also a pain to have to rewire everything, as I have nice discrete conduits around the room hiding all the cables at the moment. I've no intention of going wireless, purely due to the risk of interference.

Any advice? I ideally want to replace this weekend, or at least prior to Easter. I'm not keen on spending more than €300-€400 at such short notice, thus leaning towards the cheap and cheerful option at the moment as an AV unit and separate speakers would likely be well over that. The Denon AVR-1611 looks like it would suit what I need for the TV room, but if I need new speakers on top of that it's likely out of budget.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Philips HTS3377

Won't power on, nothing obvious wrong that I can see, all fuses and the internal boards look fine, and more importantly, it is out of warranty, I have it nearly 3 years.

if you were happy with it i would try to fix it. or to buy second hand one (like without speakers or broken rc) so speakers/etc will match it 100%.
    First to check is power supply unit (are capacitors swalen/extra fuses tripped etc).

Answer is: if you were happy with "package" you had and new one has similar spec (or at least same cable connectors) you can go for one mentioned (just replace speakers - they come with it so no extra cost).
    If you weren't happy then switch to a/v receiver or other brand (as i always find sony better suit my ear than most of other brands in same price) (but it will be few times more expensive as it requires dvd player, active subwoofer, 5 pcs set speakers etc.... cheapiest separated set i found so far (yamaha 297? 279? in peats)was around 500 euro.

Btw. 3377 is nowhere near 1000W power (typical philips b****it) look at the power consumption at the end of leaflet : 180 W ;)
    my denon 1911 marked as "7x125W" (in philips logic it would be 875W?) has a power consumption of 460W

Advertisement