Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spirits + freezer

Options
  • 16-04-2011 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I tend to keep certain spirits in the freezer because I generally run out of ice pretty fast so it's handy having them cold, vodka and gin being the main two. The more that's taken out of the bottle the more I notice they have a tendency to freeze (understandable due to water vapour in the bottle etc).

Long story short I put an unopened bottle of Bombay sapphire in the fridge last night and this morning it was frozen! I've never seen this happen with an unopened bottle. It's a duty free bottle, 70cl. I'm a bit pissed off because I don't know if it will mess with the flavour or affect the drink itself.

If anyone has any observations let me know :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Duty free Bombay should be 47% abv

i'm surprised it froze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

pa990 wrote: »
    Duty free Bombay should be 47% abv

i'm surprised it froze.

How the hell do think I felt when I lifted the brick out of my freezer :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

How cold is your freezer? Scooping ice-cream must be an absolute nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

How cold is your freezer? Scooping ice-cream must be an absolute nightmare.

I haven't changed the temperature setting, it freezes stuff normally, I had the bottle in the top section (usually the quick freeze section where you keep ice trays etc.

Gin is probably the only spirit where I'd prefer one brand over another so I'm protective of the bottles I own :P

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Shake the bottle to mix the alcohol and water back together as there may be some separation at low temperatures. Then pour your drink, you should notice the remaining booze won't freeze as the ratio of alcohol should now remain consistent

Edit: didn't realise it was completely frozen, your freezer must be about -50 degrees or you've been sold a dud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Dermighty wrote: »
    Hi, Long story short I put an unopened bottle of Bombay sapphire in the fridge last night and this morning it was frozen!

Some ones been topping it up with water

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

oblivious wrote: »
    Some ones been topping it up with water
    Thats what I would have thought, though he said it was unopened. There have been threads before on this and I reckon most were watered down booze.

I have had stuff go slushy before and I remember my housemates commenting on it, I just said some kunt (knowing it was them) was watering it down, when they asked how am I sure I pulled out my alcohol hydrometer (calibrated for spirits) and was able to show them!

I am fairly good at determining % just by taste, and it is quite easy to spot if 40% stuff is diluted, I remember in my mates house I had a neat vodka and it was like water -turns out all 3 brothers had been diluting the same bottle for months.

I wonder if there is some additive that could cause it- I know glycerine is added to many spirits.

Advertisement